2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    The address:
    http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/index.html
    GrizzLee likes this.
  2. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Congrats. You pick up the one on the local CraigsList? That was a good price.

Depending on your preferred use, size and such.... I'm 6'3".... a high seat, bar risers and center stand were a must for me.

I also converted my rear rim to tubeless using the instructions from Dave at Best Rest.

I also installed fork gaitors. The Puig windscreen upgrade was nice as I'm tall.

Other than that, try and get some pannier racks. Soft or hard luggage if you plan to tour a bit. Wider pegs a must.

I love my heed crash bars.

I've been riding the BDRs alot more comfortably now. Used to take my R1200GS A before then.

Oh... get a chain guide from Ratel Engineering. I lost a chain once in the bush while riding in BC. The taller suspension on this bike requires it IMHO

IMG_8242.JPG
    IMG_8351.JPG
    murin likes this.
  3. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I had the Puck and tore it off hopping over a log. I may get creative and mill a thick aluminum plate.
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem with any foot extension is weight. The extra weight causes the side stand to bounce and make contact with the ground from time to time. Not particularly dangerous given where it impacts, but it can be disconcerting. I even hollowed out the extension to reduce the weight. I ground quite a lot of plastic off my "pucks" before deciding to move the mount.

If you decide to move the side stand mount, it needs to move downward on the bottom sub-frame by about 1.5mm. I bought a spare sub-frame off eBay for about $20 and chopped that one up.
  5. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For relocation of the side stand, I opted for the footpeg and it works fine. I used a side stand from a 1100GS for it:
    [​IMG]

See the post:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-650-dakar-thread.441434/page-1538#post-37005322
    Gravel Seeker and Motopsychoman like this.
  6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
  7. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    That happened to me as well.

$5 for a new puck and less than 10 minutes of work drilling new holes uninstall old and install new and I've been good since.

Not a show stopper on the trail.
  8. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a TT footpeg bracket, but should work with an original bracket too. I used a 1100GS sidestand which is shorter, no clearance issues at all.
    NahdarVebb likes this.
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to make sure it was still a three-point mount like the OEM. I'd be afraid a two-point mount might twist with all that torque applied.
  10. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is still a three point mount with bolts to the frame. It's on my bike for 9 months now without issues.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  11. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I was thinking on cutting the puck down (diameter) or milling a aluminum block. I have access to a manual mill and have some stock to use. The puck is heavy and looks too Redneck. ;)
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    This was my former solution (even before I drilled out all the excess material):
    IMG_5550.JPG
    Hacked out on my miter saw.
    Tundra Tom likes this.
  13. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:

Ahem! I resemble that remark!

HockeyPuck.jpg
    Tundra Tom and GrizzLee like this.
  14. Singulano

Singulano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Using this... its heavy, scratches on tarmac curves but works.

download.jpeg
    Tundra Tom likes this.
  15. Singulano

Singulano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191110_095958-02.jpeg IMG_20191110_120537.jpg
    Going down, going up... backyard ride.
  16. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    One Winter project is to replace the original Coolant in the 2013 Sertao. Considering the water pump seal Achilles Heel of the 650 series, and the low volume needed, I want to use the original BMW Coolant.
    I don’t have a shop manual to see the recommended part number for Coolant. I know some car coolants have Silicates which should not be used in Motorcycles. I found this https://www.amazon.com/BMW-82-14-2-...00NVC48VG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    I can not determine if this is the proper BMW Motorcycle Coolant.
    Thoughts?
  17. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
  18. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all the major brands are free of silicates these days. I'd use Prestone if I hadn't bought a gallon (yes, a gallon) of the BMW stuff when I changed the coolant the first time (they didn't sell it in quarts then). If you were local, I'd give you the pint you need.

I change the coolant every two years. Pump has been fine (occasional drip from the hole every now and then), but I had a thermostat go last year.

Make sure to thoroughly bleed the air out. When you let the air out of the bleed screw, have the bike on its side stand. Then back on the center stand and warm the engine up with the radiator cap off. Once the thermostat opens you can top it off, put the cap on and fill the reservior.

EDIT: Just read up on the newer HOAT anti-freezes. Avoid them as they generally do include silicates.
    Tundra Tom likes this.