2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Mike F.

Mike F. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ah, ok, I understand what you're saying about the part numbers.

well, good to know at least my bolts are correct.
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    The part number changing doesn't have to mean a redesign, could just be a new supplier.
  3. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a improvement in the part intended to be applied to all year models of the vehicle in the field
  4. Mike F.

Mike F. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That all makes sense. Seems likely that is what happened. The guy I bought it from kept all the paperwork and maintenance receipts, nothing shows a fender replacement so I guess they just improved it after mine was built.

I ordered the new part from MaxBMW last night, I'll post a pic when it gets here.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.
  5. Colorado Mike

Colorado Mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanted the perfect tank bag so depending on your perspective I've either created a brilliant hybrid or I've destroyed two perfectly good bags... Here's what I did, including photos and videos of the process.

I wanted a relatively small tank bag with maximum functionality that attached and detached easily.

The Mosko Moto Nomad / Nomax, in my opinion, is hands down the smartest and best designed bag. It gets the hydration pack off your back and has great details is the design. The size is just right for the Sertao or F650.

The SW-MOTECH Quick Lock PRO has the smartest attachment system. It's a magnet lock that grabs the tank bag and holds it firmly in place until you pull a quick release and the bag comes right off. Those Germans are really good at this. I have their SLC pannier system on my Triumph and it's beautiful. You can barely see the rack when not in use, bit you can easily pop the luggage on and off to take inside.

But each had their downsides. The SW-MOTECH day pack sat too high and didn't hug the tank. It wasn't big enough to hold a decent sized hydration bladder and it's just one big compartment, creating the tank bag "junk drawer" problem. Note that for the G650GS the magnetic ring mount can't be fitted to the fuel cap like other bikes, so it has a big X shaped bracket that screws into the BMW torx bolts that hold on the faux tank plastic battery cover. Here's what the SW-MOTECH looked like, installed per instructions:

PXL_20210624_231008042.jpg

I loved the Wolfman too, by the way, but it also couldn't fit a good hydration pack unless I got the big bag which is too big for my taste. It also used the straps method to hold it on.

The Mosko bag is almost perfect, but I didn't like strapping it on and the strap around the steering column was tight with my wiring. Not bad, but not perfect. It looked like this (note that Mosko recommends mounting it higher, close to the handlebars but I don't like that):

PXL_20210613_223153229.jpg

I wanted the best of both worlds..
    1. I want the magnetic quick attachment of the SW-MOTECH, along with the quick release to take the bag off easily when finishing a ride.
    2. I want the perfect size and features of the Mosko Nomad/Nomax, especially with the hydration pack off my back.

So I set about making a monster..

I installed the "SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock PRO Tank Ring BMW G650GS 2011-2016" part TRT.00.787.20500/B magnetic mount on the Sertao non-metal faux gas tank.

I then removed the tank bag mounting bracket from the SW-MOTECH bag by removing the inner fasteners, like this:

PXL_20210625_025251349.jpg

This liberated the bag side mounting hardware that I could now attach the the Mosko bag. With trepidation I drilled 5/16" holes for the bolts in the Mosko bag using a template I made from the bracket.

PXL_20210625_025301679.jpg

PXL_20210625_025859904.jpg

In the above picture the holes drilled in the Mosko and it's ready for the bracket. I had to use this drill configuration below to reach and tighten each into the.fasteners from inside the Mosko bag where Mosko stores the backpack straps so I could tighten the little fasteners and washers to the bracket. This was a bit tricky.

PXL_20210625_030335580.jpg

My first attempt worked, but the Mosko bag sat up too high close to the handlebars for my liking so I adjusted the bracket to let the Mosko bag sit more centered on the tank.

PXL_20210625_040715373.jpg
    Ready to attach..

The Mosko Nomad attached via the SW-MOTECH magnetic guide system that was engineered for them by Fidlock:
    PXL_20210625_040836254.jpg

Here is a video of the attachment:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SZUGxg29h5JBdnSz6

Here is a video of the quick release:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8uPNuY7RH3oN8t3v6

In the end I'm really happy with it. The downsides are that the bag sits a bit higher on my bike because of the magnet bracket under it, the tank bag is heavier when carrying it because of the added bracket, and it no longer functions as a backpack because the bracket would dig into your back.

So clearly it's not for everyone but I'm really happy with the improvement.

@TheGearDude I'd love to see a similar Mosko bracket system with a lower profile that hugged the bike closely.

Hope someone finds this helpful in the future.

@TheGearDude and @Sideoff thought you'd be interested, also @Motopsychoman , @Gravel Seeker , @WayneC , and @Don Coyote since we were just chatting about this.
  6. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I got sucked into the Givi tank ring system. I run it on 3 different rides with 3 different tanks bags. No fuss on and off and even stays on when dumping the Sertao.:lol3
  7. Colorado Mike

Oddometer:
    Oh man, there is an alternate system I could have tried? Now I'll always wonder if using the Givi ring would have been superior.

The flaw with the rings is that they position the ring too high on the Sertao. I had to adjust it on the Mosko bag to sit lower on the tank, otherwise the bag won't curve down along the "tank" very well.
  8. Fatherless

Fatherless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi there, Can you copy me in on your list of tools? Best etc
  9. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I’m not so sure it’s better. It looks similar. Yes the Sertao requires the metal “spider” to be mounted a tad higher than body work. Normal gas tanks bolt right to the gas cap ring.
    Nice job on the bag retro fit.
    I inherited the system on the Sertao and bought others. Here are the 3 Givi “murses” (man purse;)
    The top one does curve with the tank. I used to use this when camping on the 650. I’ve since gone more minimal all around and use the clam shell bag in the center. No that will not fit a hyd. pack but I like the size and reduced weight of less stuff carried up high.
    Quite the ingenious system, no straps or magnets other than one safety strap to go around the handlebars.
    upload_2021-6-26_8-20-19.jpeg
  10. Colorado Mike

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take the new Mosko tank bag hybrid for a ride and see how it feels. I've noticed the SW-MOTECH attachment adds a lot of height. They hide this in their bag by putting an indent in the bottom so the bag sits closer to the tank, but of course you give up that space inside the bag.

Here's a side view of the attachment mechanism. It's a big tradeoff. The Mosko unclips pretty easily with the four buckles, so while this is a more slick attachment with no straps, it really adds height to the bag. I'm still deciding if this was an upgrade or not.

If I get really into this, I would simply get two flat neodymium magnet plates and attach one inside the liner of the Mosko bag and attach one to the "spider" grip on the tank.
    PXL_20210626_171510874.jpg
  11. Bergaren

Bergaren n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I got a G650GS Sertao 2012, About to order a new drive package but im having a hard time figuring out which is the standard sprocket sizes front and back and chain, Anyone know? Is the standard sprocket size recommended?

Thanks!
  12. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Stock is
    Front: 16
    Rear: 47
    Chain 520 112 links

15/47 is a much nicer gearing if you take it off the asphalt regularly.
    If you mainly commute on the highway I'd recommend 16/45

I'm currently running 15/49 myself.
    JT sprockets and DID x-ring chain
  13. Bergaren

Bergaren n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information! Mostly i go on tarmac to get where i want but whenever i can i leave for the gravelroads for the fun. Ordered standard sprockets, should be fine.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  14. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    And Welcome n00b!
  15. Bergaren

Bergaren n00b

Oddometer:
    Noob? Ive been lurking here for years! :y0!

Thanks!
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Years lurking don't count, but you just actually joined ADVrider!
    I82l8 likes this.
  17. alexofnazareth

alexofnazareth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Commitment can be scary. lol
  18. Fatherless

Fatherless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Motopsychoman:
    but LiFePO4 batteries are a huge weight savings. And like WayneC says, if you go LiFePO4, don't go small. Get the largest capacity (PbEq Ah) that will fit.

When ordering these batteries from Shorai is there anything one should know about sizing, terminals, amperage etc? I’ll take Moto’s suggestion to go large.

Best etc
  19. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lithium are properly specified in Watt/Hour (W/H) so when purchasing look for that capacity, I fitted Shorai when they first appeared there were not many other choices. Today if $ were not an issue I would get an AntiGravity, if I was looking to save $ I would go for a locally branded battery made by SkyRich, they are the OEM battery maker for KTM. MotoPsychoMan's choice of one from a long standing industrial battery Mfr he knows from his work is a wise choice for him
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I call my choice a value-engineering experiment since there seems to be absolutely no one who has any experience with these LiFeP04 powersports batteries from a reliable manufacturer (Power-Sonic). I was more than willing to risk the $102 it cost.

Whatever Li-ion battery you decide get, make absolutely sure it has an integral BMS (Battery Management System) and specifies that it will charge at 14.0V to 14.2V. The BMS prevents both over-charging and over-discharging. Over-discharging a LiFePO4 battery will kill it.