2012 Central Wisconsin Adventure ride June 15-17

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by rokklym, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Tom, was that a backfire?
  2. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    This carb was transplanted from my old 640e and it did backfire last year. But, when I rebuilt the carb this spring I didn't see any stress cracks. This failure must have been due to the combination backfire /vibration of the KTM 640 motor.
  3. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Friday most of us met for supper at the Orange Moose in Black River Falls. Most people hoteled it, and 3 or 4 camped. The hotel people were able to escape the bugs and heat, but they did get a good peep show from a friendly camper!
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning we met up and groups took off on the route

I stayed back a while to see if anyone showed up late.
    [​IMG]
    This pic was where I was waiting, but taken a week earlier.

I had to put some miles in on the highway to catch up to the group. I waited for them for a while in Rock Dam only to find out they didn't stop there and were actually ahead of me, so I had to haul ass up to Thorp.
    [​IMG]

While hanging out in Thorp, a woman came up and asked who owned the KTM (common problem when you ride a KTM:evil) and it turned out to be CJ Racers mom!
    [​IMG]
    She was amazed that pretty much all of us knew Craig and her and Craigs dad mentioned we should join them in Chippewa Falls at the Leinenkugels Brewery since they were having free beer and brats. I damn near left everyone there! :freaky

Shortly after Thorp we were on the Perkinstown Trails which sustained some damage in a recent storm and had a lot of down trees and deep mud holes. It made for some extra work but it sure was fun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some great teamwork to clear trail obstacles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some went over obstacles:
    [​IMG]

But needed a little help:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some had no choice but to go around some obstacles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sure do appreciate you guys clearing those trees for us. Those trails are a blast. I had a great weekend and it was nice to meet some new folks.
  5. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Big Falls Park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't long before Tom pulled over with a funky running bike
    [​IMG]

The bike was taken apart in hopes of finding an easy fix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave tried on some new glasses!
    [​IMG]

We sat here a while trying to figure things out and the other group caught up to us, they had been running a bit more ATV trails than us.
    [​IMG]

Turns out they found out they had some issues too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point we were about 45 miles from Clam Lake and the decision was made to try to limp the bikes to camp. I lead the slow group while some of the others headed off on the actual route and part of the Dead Horse Trail.

We hit a little rain on the way to Clam Lake and had to make one stop to work on the KTM again.
    [​IMG]

I waited in Clam Lake for the other group while my group headed to camp to get set up before another rain shower hit. THe second group showed up and we all headed the last ten miles to the Boulder Lodge.

We had a long day but we had a great place to hang out and eat and enjoy a few (more than a few) beers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was great camping weather and luckily Sunday ended up being a beautiful day.
    [​IMG]

Tom was up bright and early trying to trouble shoot his carb issues
    [​IMG]

Twin Headlight Ernie stepped in and gave Tom a ride all the way to the twin cities so he could get his truck and come back and pick his bike up! :clap

Patched also went the extra mile by running Tim's chain into Hayward to be fixed :clap

Had a great breakfast in Winter on the way home
    [​IMG]

Collarbone and I have twin DR's
    [​IMG]
  6. zora

zora the explora

Oddometer:
    I will go through my pics tomorrow and see if I have any worth sharing, I am exhausted and just got home a bit ago. The photo below is Foxfire, Zed and me at the very end of the TWAT at Point Detour.

[​IMG]

We saw five black bears within about ten minutes right before getting there. First time I had seen those buggers in the wild. Super rad! From there, we kept on trucking and took the ferry to spend that night on Madeline Island. Was a 850 mile scoot for me, from start to end. I found out I can live out of a backpack on a bike for four days....even if it means I have to wash myself with a sock and state park hand soap. :lol2

Thanks for all the work put into getting that route together, Chad. Sooooooo much fun!
  7. zora

zora the explora

Oddometer:
    I have also never seen so many butterflies in my life! The woods were just swarming with them on Sunday.

[​IMG]

Perhaps that's why I didn't have room for that washcloth and soap, but a girl has to have priorities. :dunno :D
  8. foxfire

foxfire YRUYUR?

Oddometer:
    Chad, thank you SO much for putting the time and effort into mapping this all out and hosting a great get together. I had an absolute blast! Too bad I'll never get to see you guys again after the wife finds out the damage I did to her credit card...:lol3
  9. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awesome time. Glad everyone made it home okay despite the breakdowns. Nice work!
  10. thechickencow

thechickencow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. I rode all of the Perkinstown trails on Wednesday night and they were in great shape, must have come through on Thursday's storms.
  11. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ya4qv3eFc8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. rob30

rob30 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Video is awesome!

I still owe you a few beers!
  13. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    I didn't see any GS or GSA Beemers on the trip! No one had the stones???
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    650's were the ride of choice on this trip. A GS could have handled most of the route just fine, but the parts where we had to wrestle the bikes over down trees wasn't much fun on a 650, would have been more like work on something bigger.

ADVrider DruiD rides these trails on his 1150GSA and has no problems.
  15. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had my 650Dakar, and even took it on the Deadhorse trails trying to keep up with Zed and Foxfire. It was great! Wiped out twice there, once having to wade back into a puddle a foot and a half deep. Gotta love fuel injection!
  16. LumpyOne

LumpyOne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for showing the video! I can't wait to get out and ride these trails in the summer. Have only seen them during the winter on sled. Looks amazing! That is a ton of water, what was the boot of choice? Who had the Klim gear on and what set was it?

Thanks again for sharing everything!:clap
  17. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I heard a lot about wet feet, but I had Sidi Discovery's on and didn't get wet at all. There were several riders wtih Klim gear, I think they were both Latitudes.
  18. Super Sport

Super Sport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the twat last weekend and it was in good shape considering all of the rain up there lately. Still some trees across the route in Perkinstown, but not a big deal on a bike.

Check out my buddy from Duluth on his 1976 Kawasaki 175!

[​IMG]

Was wondering if anyone knows if there's a story behind this "lonesome grave" photo? It was north of Hwy 10 at the intersection of a dirt road and an atv trail on the route.

[​IMG]
  19. Collarbone

Collarbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Super Sport

Super Sport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good story- thank you.