2012 forester with 148K miles has serious rod knock. Engine is toast

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LuciferMutt, Oct 13, 2019.

1. otts

otts n00b

Oddometer:
    Get a JDM engine and have that installed. I did it myself on my sons 2001 forester. It was not to difficult a job, any shop can do it. The JDM engines are cheap, I paid 600 for mine and it runs great. THe 2.5 engines will blow if head gaskets are leaking do to oil starve. Good Luck
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Sounds right.

FWIW, they have a mechanic up the mountains they go to for everything. Despite lots of evidence the guy is a shyster, such as everyone else telling them, they continue to go there. :baldy This is the guy quoting $8500 for an engine and clutch. I hope, if they are insisting on trading it in on another Subapoo, that they get the offer in writing and just do that.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So.....……..If the oil light contributed to the failure, then the oil light should have been replaced by the owner when it burned out, if this car was "well maintained". Just saying 150K on the engine, the operator should be watching the lights/gages as anything can go wrong on any vehicle by then. Small problems and lead to big problems.
  4. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Steaming piles.
    Head gasket plague for decades.
    Run away.
    WECSOG, local1 and SourKraut like this.
  5. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    You are correct. It’s in the owner’s manual.
    But, most today don’t even know to shut down an engine IMMEDIATELY at an oil pressure warning light. Or, that “immediately” means just that, not “when I get done today’s errands”, never mind watch for the warning light self test when we turn the key on, just prior to start.
    Because, well, they’re too busy with more important things.
    Yet, they’ll be steamin pissed at an engine failure cuz they ran it low on oil.
    local1, BluByU, LuciferMutt and 2 others like this.
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Is the oil light a "low oil level" or a "low oil pressure"?I think the former on a Subie?

I'll go read the owner's manual from my friend's 2017-8(?) out of interest.That thing is using oil at a rather alarming rate at 30K.

Typical oil pressure warning light will come on at a pressure way lower than normal operating pressure.Sometimes as low as 8psi.10psi/1000rpms is normal pressure for most engines.So by the time the idiot light comes on it is too late!

Aftermarket oil pressure gauges?Cheap,easy to install and may prevent expensive damages.
  7. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again, if the warning system was signaling to a burned out light....can you hear the tree fall in the forest? (NPI)

That said, dropping major $ into a 7 year old chassis isn't a wise move. Engine swap maybe.
  8. bwallca

bwallca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with all the details but a friend with a Forester got a rebuilt engine courtesy of Suburu due to excessive oil consumption combined with no warning light. The car was well out of the warranty period, apparently this is a known problem.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  9. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Until the line fails at the gauge and hot pressurized oil sprays everything inside the dash.
  10. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    true, and very possible they never noticed an oil light out. Of course, that doesn't mean low oil pressure caused any of this. We'll probably never know...
  11. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Get a copper line or?

SS braided teflon line to the sensor for an electric gauge.Keep sensor under the hood ?Then 2 small wires to the gauge?

SS braided teflon line? Work rather well on my bike.K1200RS at now 293,000 kms.250K of that monitoring oil pressure.Thinking back? I never had a bike or car that I didn't install a gauge on.Thinking back to 1976?
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i know it's boring and said, but why the hell wouldn't they toss it into the scrap pile and buy a Camry ?
  13. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best friends wife got same deal. Fwiw
  14. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Because my mom literally drove off a cliff in an early 2000 something Subaru and didn't get hurt. I guess that sort of sold her on the sturdiness of the cars. From everything I read, they are quite safe. Of course, easy to be safe when it's sitting in the garage with the engine hanging from a cherry picker :rofl
    SafetyThird, ohgood and 1greenmachine like this.
  15. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is why I find it hard to buy anything but Toyota when I'm shopping for a vehicle. I just blew the head gasket in the Prius but it was at 275k and perhaps abused daily and used to pull a 1500lb trailer across the country several times. But I should note that the only other part ever replaced on it was a broken spring on one of the rear shocks in it's entire 275k. I dropped a new junkyard block in for $700 and sold the factory cat for $400. Still driving around on original everything else to this day.
  16. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm If you only replaced a head gasket and a spring...………...where did you "drop that junkyard block in" the trunk?
    That's good service for brake pads though.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    yup, i can see that leaving a good impression as far as being alive after a collision. i like watching crash tests. they tell a lot.
  18. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Fixt.

I think all brands have strange problems but the 2.5 Subaru engine seems to be particularly problematic across several years.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  19. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    People seem to like Subarus.

I recall them rusting away before they could have too many problems.

My wife and I test drove a few a couple years ago; I thought they were tin cans and had less than zero interest in one.

The salesman mentioned,repeatedly,that most of his customers prefer to lease with a maintenance agreement...

If your mom likes it,she likes it; they may offer $5K trade, but what would be the actual OTD price?? :deal
  20. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    $8500 for an whole new engine..pppfffttt, local dealer wanted to charge $5000 for 2 crappy head gaskets for our friends 2014 whatever it is Subaru. Cool commercials with the dogs and all, cant say much for the car itself. They have become a "statement" car of some sort in our former neck of the woods. Here where it snows now I can see where a 4wd other than a truck or big suv would be convenient. Just dont understand folks defending a 100K mileage car in need of thousands in repairs, for a problem that is decades old and never corrected by the MFG.
    sieg likes this.