2012 GSA Will not start

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 47ohv, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Need some help. 2012 GSA 31000 miles on her. Bought used about 6 months ago with 27000. Have replaced the battery a few months back. Battery reads 12.7v. Went to crank her this morning and turned switch on and fuel pump cycled, pushed the start button and nothing. then a readout came up EWS! Tried several times to start her, nothing. Let her sit a minute and turned switch on and she started. Rode her out to my shop and shut her down. Changed the seat and went to start, nothing and the EWS! again. Checked battery voltage 12.7, cycled switch off and same with the grip switch and pulled clutch in and out and cycled the side stand a few times and still the EWS!. Then turned switch and no EWS and she cranked. Shut her down 4-5 times and she would crank right up. Let her sit a couple minutes and would not start with same systems. Felt starter mtn and not real hot. The motor have always been acting like it struggles to crank her even with the new batter. Kinda slow at first to turn mtr over. Not new to motorcycles, but new to this twin cam. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks
  2. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you checking the battery voltage? If just with a DVM onto the terminals (with the ignition off). 12.7 is on the 'lower side' of normal, at least compared to mine.

So it could be the battery. But I would suspect something else based on the fact it didn't start, then started, then didn't. That's not a normal battery failure- they usually give you a couple of attempts and then you're done.
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't hurt to pull the battery & have it load tested.

EWS failures tend to be bifurcated, certainly my own bike's was. I don't recall a similar thread about intermittent EWS issues.

If the battery is certain to be good, then either the ring antenna for the EWS or its computer module (what's that called?) is suspect. The ring antenna isn't all that expensive, but installing it requires drilling out the OE security bolts.

Reading any available fault codes with a gs911 might provide meaningful insight.
    ultane likes this.
  4. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Since you bought the bike used you should check the ring antenna if it is of the latest vintage - it should be #61 35 7 705 247 as final and trouble free antenna as previous iterations of the same part were causing EWS issues. Your bike MY '12 should be free and clear of ring antenna issues but you should check that out since you got used bike so everything is possible...

The fact that you can intermittently start ie. not start the bike does point out to battery over ring antenna as a culprit. When many of us experienced EWS issues in the distant past, there was no restarting that bike no-way-no-how until antenna was replaced and battery recharged to full.

If you have access to GS911 you could gather some valuable info as to where to start looking for solution - GL :thumb
  5. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question, what does EWS mean? I take it by the posts that it is electrical related. Something I did not add to my post is that the last time I rode the bike about 3 weeks ago It took a hard fall on a bad dirt road with alot of softball size rocks on it. Was going around a sharp turn and went into a rain trench and the throttle locked wide open and thru me and the bike went down hard on its R side. May be the battery is damaged. Will look into that tomorrow.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

EWS antenna issues are always no start, never intermittent. In this case I would bet the ignition switch or wiring is going bad. Not too common, but not unheard of.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The EWS has several meanings. It is always electrical and ignition related.
  8. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have multiple keys to the same bike or other bikes on your ring?

Not sure if bmw suffered from it but early cars with transponders had an issue if there were multiple keys in range.
  9. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to start with the battery first. It took a hard fall and may have damaged the battery. Will be gone today. Can start on it tomorrow. Will put a battery tender on her before I leave this morning. Hopefully, is just a bad new battery. Thanks Guys. Use to dealing with old bikes. Have a Haynes manual, not much help
  10. webjester

webjester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EWS stands for Elektronische WegfahrSperre. German for Immobilizer, i.e., the unit that prevents starting of the bike/car if the key fob is not properly identified. Did you check the fob battery?
    47ohv likes this.
  11. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    You win the "obscure word of the day" award, sir. I had to look that one up. :lol3

In all fairness, I AM a knuckle dragging mechanic, so the bar for baffling me is admittedly low.
    47ohv likes this.
  12. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    '12 doesn't have key-fob thus no battery - just a key w chip...:deal

While your translation from Gringlish is correct, in the case of old Hex/Camheads, EWS means no identification btw key with chip and ring antenna which doesn't allow bike to be started.
  13. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lead Wrist, you telling me there is a chip in the rubber part of the key??? What about the plastic key you get with the bike to put in your wallet if you loose your key? Just got home from Ashville, NC Will dig into this tomorrow. Hey guys, I really appreciate all your help in figuring this out. My nearest Dealership is in Ashville 125 miles
  14. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes to the RFID or similar chip in the key. If a key turns the ignition on, it must have a chip (plug, whatever). The EWS antenna ring reads that chip before charging the ECU.

BMW put similar, if not the same, tech into their cars beginning in the early-ish 90s. I owned a '95 m3 that had an antenna ring around the ignition switch. In the early days, only 10 key combinations were available. That affected used cars so much that dealerships lobbied for add'l slots (or bits) in the computer.

I'd bet HD uses, or used, similar tech, but I've no familiarity.
  15. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    There is a dealer in Greenville, Touring Sport. But I think you already know that.. Cheers
  16. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am aware of Greenville. Would prefer Ashville. Thanks anyway.
  17. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the chip. Actually, the rubber part of the key broke off yesterday. Bet that is the problem. Will give a update tomorrow
  18. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    I would check the the battery connectors are tight!
    Then I would check the alternator and connection to starter are tight.
    Simple stuff first :)
    ultane likes this.
  19. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay reply. Been cutting and splitting fire wood last 4 days w/ grandson. Anyway, it was the key. Tried a different key and cranked right up. Never knew there was a chip in them. Learned something new. Thanks guys for all the help and advice. Later!
    ckindt likes this.