2012 Hoosier National Forest Fall Ride Oct. 27-28

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Woodsrat, Apr 28, 2012.

?

What date would you prefer for the 2012 HNF ride?

1. October 6-7

2. October 13-14

3. October 20-21

4. October 27-28

5. Ain't picky, gonna be there regardless

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    Cjames Kevin and I are some site seeing mother frickers.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This made me wet. Kevin too (in his pants.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That bookbag kept getting heavier and heavier towards the end of the ride. Think had to have been 100 lbs when I got home... or i was just really worn out.
  2. KTMmer950

KTMmer950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Woodsrat you out did yourself this year. WR Jim and I rolled in to Nashville around 3:30. What a great route. My only comment to when to have the event is if it was a week or two earlier the leaves would still be on the trees and there would be more color.
  3. gplane

gplane Putty Conjugator

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I like the Idea of catching more color,a week or 2 earlier, but Nashville would be out as a start due to the mass influx.
  4. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    +2
    Week or 2 earlier.
  5. PeterJenks

PeterJenks Aussies Rule!

Oddometer:
    I'm new around here but will give my thoughts. I certainly agree the weather can be about anything this time of year, and I don't like the cold. However, for a larger group like this I do like the later date when most of the leaves are down. Why? Because I believe it adds a small safety factor when riding in the forest. Less cars (leaf watchers) and the ability to see through corners. I can think of a couple of times this weekend when I saw a car through the corner before we met at the apex, on these narrow roads, I like that.

+1 for last full weekend of October.

Peter
  6. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    The new aero package actually did fix all the problems but the wake of turbulance it left behind me was throwing other riders off the road so we scrapped it.:lol3:freaky
  7. oPAULo

Oddometer:
    Good point. Now I'm torn.
  8. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! That about sums up my weekend! Tim, you have done a superb job with the route and I will be planning to attend again regardless of the date. I do agree that it would be nice to see some fall color but also agree with Peter. Really enjoyed meeting so many nice people and riding fantastic roads! Well done! :clap
  9. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    we have pretty much always had this ride the last weekend, and usually there is more color... but this summer was insanely hot... and stayed hot. maybe that had something to do with early leaf fall. :dunno

i say keep it the last weekend.. i like it that way, and is easier to remember. :scratch
  10. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, the summer was bad, can't place any blame although I do enjoy the colors. Even though the "grass is always greener on the other side", I can't imagine the ride being any better! Had a BLAST and can't wait to do it again!
  11. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep----------had a ball.
    I stuck with ole Road Dad all weekend----thought I should keep an eye on him after they drilled all those holes
    in his head---------------and found he had a brain.............who'd a thunk :huh:huh:huh:huh

Kept my heated grips and vest on high the whole ride--------and sometimes used my heated gloves---wah, wah, wah, :rofl:rofl:rofl

Thanks Tim----I especially enjoyed the last 30 miles of day one riding along the river---that roller coaster of a ride on the narrow dirt road was a hoot.

BigDog

[​IMG]
  12. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sometimes mid-month both the weather and color are better but as mentioned there are a lot more forest users out the earlier we have the ride. When we started at Martinsville my worry was whether or not we could make it across IN 46 as I've literally seen it nearly bumper-to-bumper with leaf maggots and had to go almost to Columbus to get across at a traffic light. Not good.

The only alternative is going through Nashville should another ride start north of IN 46 during a heavy tourist weekend or (shudder!!) going through Bloomington. There's a lot of beautiful country and roads north of 46 and a starting point in Martinsville or Taylorsville would give us some great riding.

Dunno how such a decision is going to be made. Pure democracy in the form of a poll will leave someone's opinion out and given the flash-mob nature of this "event" it's going to be hard to make everyone happy. We could do careful studies of historical weather patterns and when the odds would be of the best time to do it but if we base our opinion on scientific evidence sure as shit we'll get bitten with rainy cold weather year after year.

My vote's for the last full weekend of the month.
  13. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E0gnYQwqsQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I'll have more coming throughout the week as I get time to edit.
  14. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:

I did it for Jerry(Roaddad)I knew he hadnt seen me do anything stupid in a while and needed a good laugh:lol3.

Oh as far as the ride weekend from now on,my vote is to leave it the last weekend in Oct.
  15. jscompto

jscompto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, Ashley and I had a good time just as we did last year. We started out from my place in Greenwood on Saturday morning. We met up with everyone in Nashville before heading out on the ride and we ended up ridng with Paul, Amy, Jared and Luanne (sorry if I mis-spelled your names) for most of the day. We had a great ride. We made it to the cabins where everyone was staying but defaulted to go to Tell City so that Ashley didnt wake up in the morning and act like Hitler all day long...True Story, its happened before when she didnt get good sleep...Got a couple cool pictures of some hotel room window graffitti. I dont know how the windows got fogged up...honestly...:evil:drif:knary:snore Good thing my pictures wont post on here though...pretty sweet...

We headed out to meet everyone at Rocky Point Sunday morning but nobody was there. We decided to head on out and make up our own scenic route home. We saw a few cool things along the way. Made it home last night and was able to get the bikes powerwashed and put up nice and clean.

Thanks for such a good ride! I've been for the past 4 years and they keep gettin better. See you all soon!
  16. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    First off a BIG THANKS Tim for putting everything together :clap

1. I had a great time and met, and rode with, some awesome folks along the way :ricky
    2. The last minuet Ramada room was much better choice than the hammock :wink:
    3. Learned that the small charging capacity of a DRZ will NOT handle a Gerbings heated jacket and pants, resulting in a completely dead battery :huh
    4. Thanks to all who offered, and gave, help in my helplessly discharged state :freaky
    5. Thanks to those who let us follow along until I finally got my GPS on track (Thanks Mark!) :deal

It was, as always, a great ride and can't wait to do it again

My vote is to continue with the poll because things change, as do schedules, weather and opportunity. Let majority rule!
  17. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/anX55Razr7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    2 would not upload to youtube so i have to reedit it
  19. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/orkesttgtzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kvp3rofxHwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>