2012 KTM 500 EXC as a Lightweight Dual Sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by harcus, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check that the cam locks aren't corroded on the pivot. I had these slip before, and it was just the pivot sticking. A little shot of WD-40 cleared it right up.
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Zuber. Did you have Kriega or another manufacturer Camlocks corrode?

I've used Camlocks in motorcycling, mountaineering and climbing for decades and none have ever needed maintenance despite them always being used in outdoor environments. Obviously with steel components it raises that issue. In the thread I linked above I have changed, both the Cam-locks to stainless steel and webbing to polypropylene from the nylon webbing Kriega chose. In my use the polypro webbing has a far greater resistance to slipping in the Cam-lock buckles. Kriega is now testing alternative webbings.
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Let me be the first to welcome you....

YOU F*****G ELITIST!!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first set were Ancra tie downs. Aluminum and zinc plated parts. You could push it down easy enough, but it wouldn't move back enough to grip tightly. Later, it was some no-name camlocks. Seemed that the zinc coating just won't work for more than 20 years at a time without lube.
  5. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Every 20 years of so a shot of lube is not asking too much I guess.
  6. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just as an aside - Ancra will replace any defective tiedowns FOR LIFE. They've replaced 5 sets for me. Great service! Mine failed to keep tension after 10 years or so due to wear.
  7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

A large safety pin will work as trailside fix for a slipping buckle. Pull the webbing through tight and put the pin through the webbing at the buckle. Use two if there is a lot of strain on the buckle. :wink:

[​IMG]
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't know this. I'm still using the original set I bought in 1973. They have pulled a jeep out of a ditch and don't slip yet.
  9. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Ancras are from 1969 and don't slip. They look faded but they work.

Stu
  10. sm00thy

sm00thy Sm00thy

Oddometer:

Sweet setup Harcus! Have you ever had a customer mount hard luggage to the larger rack? I'm thinking of changing up my 690 and going with the 500, but I don't want to give up my touratech boxes.
  11. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    How much do those boxes weigh empty?
  12. sm00thy

sm00thy Sm00thy

Oddometer:
    They are the Zega Pros ,they are easy to pack, waterproof , lockable and they're featherlight. I cant see the soft luggage being much lighter.
  13. TCal

TCal DeathGRIP

Oddometer:
    So I don't know how to insert a thread link on my iPad, so if you could take a glance at the gear section of the flea market, I just posted a WTB there for a few things for a '12 500 exc. main item I'm looking for: safari or big excel is tank.

Thanks much!
  14. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    GiantLoop/Ortlieb/Kriega/etc. bags weigh about 4 1/2 lb (2 kg) total. You can easily keep the total weight for multi-day camping trips under 35 pounds with judicious packing.

The Zegas weigh over 20 pounds a pair. Add in another 10 pounds for the rack and hardware and you are up over 30 pounds before adding anything. Things snowball quickly.
  15. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, just out of curiosity I weighed one of my old Jesse cans and one of my Wolfman expedition dry saddlebags. The Jesse probably holds 45l and weighs 13.9lbs. The WM probably hold 30l the way I pack and weighs 4lbs even. I prefer the softbags because they make me take what I need, rather than what I can. The Jesse's are always 45l, even when empty; but, hey, they're running on an '81 G/S, so who cares.
  16. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for Ridgecrest a week from Friday.

Trying to keep the bike light as possible.

[​IMG]
  17. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    We offer hard bags for the larger rack. Options for our Quick Latch or a biscuit mount. Look here...

http://www.globetrottin.com/Luggage-Set-Hard--Locking-Pair-with-Quick-Latch_p_8.html

http://www.globetrottin.com/Top-rack-with-pannier-brackets-KTM-250-525-2008--On_p_21.html

35 liters per each bag
  18. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone has added a BajaDesigns XL light to thier 500? I get the impression the XL is newer than the Squadrin and allow you to adjust the light pattern with different filters? It looks like a full light replacement with the option of a dimmer. Said to hook directly to the KTM stuff so you can use the stock high and low beam switch.
  19. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to Paul at HDB the XL weighs a lot more than the Squadron. The ability to change the lenses on the XL looks cool. I think you can change the lenses on the Squadron to different patterns if you want to. It also looks like the XL has a built in dimmed (low beam) function. The Squadron is on or off.

I have a Squadron and it is a fantastic light. SUPER bright.
  20. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer: