1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

2012 KTM 500 EXC as a Lightweight Dual Sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by harcus, Dec 3, 2011.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although pricey, it works great and installation is a breeze. It comes with different lens covers that diffuse the light in different patterns. Blindingly bright!:thumb The low beam for it is a separate switch.
  3. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    All I can say is WOW:eek1! I am now the Chuck Norris of night rides.....
    [​IMG]
    Very easy install despite the instructions:huh. I put the little extra dimmer wire to the orange ignition wire?

My next question would be..... Can I carry my extra front tube (in a Dirtbikegear fender bag) in the gap above the light, between the mask and speedo? Will it get too hot, or restrict air flow too much?
  4. Hukamosh

Hukamosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Works fine for me w/ no issues
  5. RSinBC

RSinBC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me the setup that works thus far is the 3.0 tank (130-150 miles), Mojavi Giant Loop, for tools and the ZigZag Giant Loop Bar bag. I can get all the essentials and lunch on board with the weight being low.

Stuff does move around in the Mojavi, so I usually throw in a few small towels to help.

[​IMG]
  7. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have the Baja Squadron mounted and utilize a Wolfman Fender bag in the position you're inquiring about without issues.

[​IMG]

Front tubes are smaller to pack than wider 18" tubes so should fit in your DBG numberplate fine without issue. One thing I did not like about the DBG numberplate bag was when the load was minimal it did not compress and strap down as well as the Wolfman. FYI this Wolfman numberplate bag is the older larger model compared to his latest offering which is a few inches narrower.
  8. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Since this dual sport thread is so quiet, I'm going to kick it up a notch and release my newest secret here.....found a highly farkled 2012 500EXC with reasonable miles. It was just a coincidence that one of the farkles included an original Globetrottin.com rack system......Bike looks like this after we uncrated it......it wasn't local to Utardia.....

[​IMG]

So, today's mission is to fit a version of the fairing kit to the 500EXC. Unfortunately, that flimsy OEM system was damaged before, during or after it's journey so I managed to scavenge a low version (cut down) of the Globetrottin fairing in black:

[​IMG]

The wizardry of harcus kit is that it's a universal design which can morph towards different bikes. After the fairing was trued to shape and now symmetrical, the old pigtail was removed from the original OEM lights and wired in with a wire block and diode to power a low beam 1500 lumen and high beam 3600 lumen LED. With an added diode in the circuitry, both lights are lit when the high beam is activated through the OEM switching system. The back side looks like this:

[​IMG]

You can see the OEM connector/pigtail with the wire block hanging just next to the clamp. The fairing is drilled for the KTM fender nubs but it's best just to use the dual clamps for solid attachment to the forks.

Front view on the bench:

[​IMG]
  9. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    And now for the Ta Da segment of the report:

I've gone from the OEM and inadequate for true dual sport lighting....

[​IMG]

To the highly lit functionality of this on my bike:

Low beam

[​IMG]

High beam

[​IMG]

And the view from the cockpit:

[​IMG]

Good stuff which will last way beyond the original equipment here in the wild, wild west where all the best riding exists......:clap
  10. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Nice setup, I have two 60's and a dimmer so low beam is dimmed and high beam full power to both. Just a suggestion though might want to get the added lens covers for the lights, the glass can break.
  11. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    What lens covers are available for those LED's? I have used the M 60 s on two other bikes and not suffered from a broken light yet. Still seems like a good idea to put on a cover.

Got any pics?
  12. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I can get you a pic but you will not see it lol. They are just clear 10mm vinyl covers that stick on. I broke a lens once and the replacements were 10 bucks each and the protectors are 5 each. So when ordering a new lens I put the covers on too.
    http://stores.advmonster.com/xpel-clear-light-protection/
  13. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I did a similar setup on my first 1100 GS, that big rectangular light was expensive as all h... to replace and looked like a target....I was thinking about using the exterior mounting bolts in the www.Globetrottin.com fairing to mount some mesh....but some clear vinyl is easy too......I wonder if there's a significant light reduction from either.....

[​IMG]
  14. sm00thy

sm00thy Sm00thy

Oddometer:
    I've got the large rack installed the other day, went for a shakedown run.
    Jumping some water bars I noticed the rear crossmember rubs on the tire on compression, that's with the worn out stock knob?
    I'm loading up for the first trip today, ill gear it back to 14:45 and see if that moves the tire enough forward. Maybe 13:50 with the stock chain is just too long.
    Cheers
  15. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run 14:50 for DS, 13:50 for tight steep gnarly mountain single track. What kind of camp and riding are you doing where you need such low gearing?? :huh
  16. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Master Marine,

Good question on gearing! I keep my 15T on all the time to cut down on chain wear. I run 15/52 for serious off road riding, 15/50 for trails in Utah and Colorado and just tried 15/48 for general dual sport riding. With this tall gearing & the '14 XC-W map on my 500 and the "idle" circuit bumped up 8 points richer and the "just off idle" bumped up 3 points (with the Akrapovic muffler) I have no flame out, it runs very cleanly, loafs at 65 MPH and returns, a real surprise, 60 MPG running between 55~65 and taking it fairly easy in towns. I think this bike could easily pull 15/47.

Stu
  17. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must be running some completely different terrain than I am. I find with higher gearing, the bike is difficult to operate while riding steep technical singletrack with lots of switchbacks. With the original 15:45 stock gearing, I had trouble controlling my speed on steep descents with engine braking even while doing mostly dual sporting types of rides. Of course I had no problem going over 100 mph (indicated).

I figure I will need a new chain every season. The wet gritty dirt and deep puddles and streams I ride in here in the PNW in the winter really take their toll. So I am not too concerned about running a big vs. small sprocket up front.

Have a look at this ratio chart:

[​IMG]

The chart makes it much easier to see how much higher of a ratio you are using than me.

Here is a pictorial presentation of my gearing choices for 2 different types of terrain:

13:50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14:50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tallbastid likes this.
  18. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Great gearing discussion and photos. My bike currently is set up with 15/48 and I had considered the next logical step to be 14/48. Judging by the photo spread of MM, I'm definitely more of a 14/50 category rider......:freaky

In looking at the chart, what percentage or actual change in ratio makes an impact in performance, so for example:

Does moving from a 3.0 ratio to a 3.3 ratio increase your rpms by 10%?

Does a 3.2 vs a 3.43 produce what effect on speed in 1st gear vs 6th?

Answers or links to better discussion/explanation appreciated.....
  19. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here you go: http://www.gearingcommander.com/
  20. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is a cool link. :clap

The data for the 2012 KTM 500 EXC is not correct for my 2013 tho. Not sure about the transmission ratios and tire size but the stock gearing is 15:45 for my 2013.