1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 KTM 500 EXC as a Lightweight Dual Sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by harcus, Dec 3, 2011.

1. trail-tech

trail-tech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We do have a nice plug and play unit for that bike.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. Duzitall

Duzitall old dude

Oddometer:
    I have a question for Trail-Tech: Voyager coming soon to my 2016 EXC. The "engine temp sensor thermostat replacement" has no actual thermostat in it correct? So it eliminates the thermostat?
    upload_2016-2-9_16-43-53.png
    trail-tech likes this.
  3. trail-tech

trail-tech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct, eliminates the thermostat, increases flow, has some cooling effect.
    Duzitall likes this.
  4. Duzitall

Duzitall old dude

Oddometer:
    Here's an off-topic Trail-Tech throwback for you: I've been swapping these TT HID head-lights from a motocross helmet to a mountainbike helmet for many years. Embarrassingly bright, still work great! Shown here Velcro-ed on my spare MTB helmet for a ride tonight.
    IMG_0824.JPG

Attached Files:

Dluke and trail-tech like this.
  5. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's me riding my 15x45 500 without rekluse over waist high log.

500 log.jpg

so I don't know about "no way" using stock gearing.

kermit tea.JPG
    Duzitall likes this.
  6. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd throw this question out here. I have a '15 KTM 500 EXC-F. Pretty much the same as the '12. My problem is my trip odometers on the speedo keep resetting themselves randomly. I get the R03 error and then some numbers like 1911613 or something like that. I thought the R03 was a dead/low battery in the speedo, so I replaced it with a new CR2430(i think that was the one) and it seemed o.k. for a short month. Then, it did it again. I thought, maybe I had a bad battery. Replaced the battery again last Thursday, rode Fri-Sun and it reset and thru the R03 error again 1x Saturday and 2x on Sunday. I can't get it to do it repeatedly and it's only when you turn the bike off with the key or use the kill switch. Anyone else ever have this problem? The wheel size and odometer doesn't reset. Just the trips.
  7. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great to see other people going their own route. Are you still running that gearing or was this just simply because that's what was bolted on there when you got the bike?

The last few rides I've experimented with 15 x 50. It makes it more relaxed on the pavement sections and can still work through single track no issues. 5 days of this stuff loaded with camping n cooking gear, clothes, tools , spares and food. It worked fine. Just takes a bit more clutch work than the 14x50 I normally run. Keep in mind that more clutch work will result in more temperature in the motor. Choose your poison.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hopey likes this.
  8. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is that on your website?
    edit: I found one that say "for two strokes and EXC" I assume thats it, but when you enter your model of 500 EXC it wont come up in search results
  9. ncj01

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha, good call out, no i'm not still running those gears, that's just what was on the bike when i bought it.
    It was certainly a PITA to run 15x45 in trials-like conditions.
    I just wanted to illustrate that its perfectly possible not only in ST, but in "full trials" conditions, YRMV based on experience, yada yada yada..

I've found that 15x47 or 15x48 is ideal for me, for do-all general DS/ADV riding on my 500, which only rarely has me through serious technical situations these days.
    I just laugh to myself when i see posts of guys saying 13x52 is ideal for dual sporting... i'm like: yea, if you like a bazillion RPM at 45mph, get right on that.

For me, I want as low a 65mph crusing RPM as possible, while 1st is still acceptable for semi-tight conditions.
    I don't care if it takes 5th gear to achieve a higher top speed than 6th, b/c how often are you really needing to go 100mph on a 500? (only a couple times per ride for me)
    What i want/need is a low RPM 65-ish, such to preserve fuel economy, reduce wear on engine, etc.
    Someone said above 6th can't be used below 65mph with with what-ever-gearing (15/x45 maybe)... rubbish i say.

IMG_4235.jpg
    Dao1 and Duzitall like this.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    14/50 is pretty good all around gearing for me, we have allot of sand so the slightly lower gearing helps it stay in the sweet spot. I have a traction issue above 95 in the dirt though :D def a first world problem.

[​IMG]
    mathews42 and Dao1 like this.
  11. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    You doin' that on knobbies?
    :uhoh
  12. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    I haven’t been able to convince myself a rabbit isn’t going to pop out onto those desert interstates so I pus out at 80 every time.
  13. ncj01

Oddometer:
    yes, i go full speed on knobbies.
    but they 're always DOT knobbies... so we're talking TKC80's, Kenda K270, Kenda Big Blocks, Shinko 805/804, that type thing. On my 950super enduros, i have been 120+ on same tires.... and all my wheels are always balanced... i've had non-balanced dirt tires on a 2 stroke that i couldn't get over 45-50 on pavement without being shaken into the ditch...

i wouldn't go near those speeds with non-DOT tires. Of course i don't run non-DOT tires much these days, b/c 99/100 it's a tagged DS/ADV/SM/street ride i do these days (bad back)

14. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I run both DOT and non DOT on my bikes from 300 to 990. I don't place much importance on the DOT certification, thinking that the cert process has little or nothing to do with actual tire construction--just an administrstive, pay the fee process? YMMV
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just switched to 14/50 after 3+ years of 14/52. No problem after first easy-ish ride. Will see what happens on tight mountain single track.

I couldn't have ridden over that "waist high" log in the middle of that bush with any gearing on any bike. Good job on that.
  16. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you actually see with that mirror? I know it's folded up in pic, I recently put one on my 300 because I needed it and a squeaky horn for inspection and I couldn't see anything but arm that way. But when I turned it upside down it works and tucks up nice and out of way.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Totally useless except to see if the camera is running.
  18. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I mount mine on the handguard out close to the bend at the outside end. I cut a little piece out of the shield and use the included plastic clamp with a sheet metal screw added for stability. Done if for years and it works well for me. Mirror still folds inward when not needed. Best thing I ever did was put on one of those fish eye stick on mirrors after breaking the original.
    Mountainhound likes this.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Can’t help but think using knobbies and higher speeds would invite instability due to reduced contact patch(es) and knobbie “squirm” under load.
    But hey, if it works, then what the heck.
    I learned all my physics by watching the Big Bang Theory, so there’s that...
  20. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    But not really useless, because seeing if the gopro is on is important. thought maybe it was just yeah officer I have a mirror see it's right here.