1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 KTM 500 EXC as a Lightweight Dual Sport

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by harcus, Dec 3, 2011.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same mirror and that's what I use mine is for. Easier to just turn around and look back than see anything out of it if the motors running. ;)
    Mountainhound likes this.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Couple of pics of mine mounted to handguard instead of bars. Moves mirror out and makes it somewhat useful--good for keeping track of guys behind you but not what I would call street riding clear. The fish eye stick on mirror works well. Frees up a little room on the bars for more crap there too. FWIW
    IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That was the primary reason but as it turns out it's pretty handy for seeing if you're recording with the GP. I'm going to try george's idea of replacing the lens, I manage to break the mirror's lens regularly. On the 500 I've since switched to a Double Take which works great, you can actually see out of them at speed. I still like the little flimsy ones for the 300 though.
    RozzyCat likes this.
  4. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the double takes on my 500, been there since shortly after I bought it because the stock ones did not last very long at all. when I went a couple weeks ago to get my other bikes inspected I asked what I needed to get my 300 done and told me a mirror that they happen to have and I just needed to pick up a squeaky horn and attach plate (still have yet to do that), but everything is inspected.
  5. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like you I like a bit more relaxed motor on the slab. I run 14 x 50 and it's comfortable up until about 62 MPH then it vibes a bit much with more rpm than I'm comfortable for a couple hour drone. 15 x 50 had me comfortable to just under 70. Now I'm talking when you have a couple hour drone, not 6 miles of tedious slab. I too cringe when I hear people saying 13 x 50 is fine for DS. I know I would not like it if I have do decent slab work on a ride. Only downside the 15 x 50 is that it took a bit more clutch work in the first gear stuff. Not abusive at all, just working the lever more than normal with 14 x 50 and as you know working the clutch creates heat in the motor. Since I live in the tropics where it's north of 80 F all year and for half the year over 90F keeping things cool is a concern.

I have a 48 tooth in the spares bin so will try that as a compromise with 14 x 48 since I only use the 500 for DS.

Thanks for the post and hats off to you for the sweet log hop!!