2012 ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    The key blanks are available through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, (#39 on diagram), https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2. They show 10+ available.
    Westerly_Wind and Tortuga353 like this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Friend with a MY14 500 had the fan bearing seize with less than 2000 miles on it. What helped the diagnosis is when three of us rode together with our 500s and it was hot and humid conditions, his never turned on in tight single track.

We pulled things apart trailside and found that the fan would not turn by hand without excessive force and the fuse was blown. @RideFreak suggested a replacement fan that was identical to OEM and that solved the problem. I believe the posts are from late last summer within this thread.
    randingo likes this.
  3. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had zero issues just walking into Home Depot and getting a couple dupes of my 2014 key cut. Must not be a particularly special blank.
    Tortuga353 likes this.
  4. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    '

Most likely a bad thermostat switch ... if you have a power source (spare battery, lead from battery, etc.), unplug the fan wires from the thermostat and connect to your power source. If the fan kicks on you have a bad thermo switch. Might consider a low temp switch as a replacement. I also like this radiator cap from RMATV;
    [​IMG]
    ezflyr, ChasM and randingo like this.
  6. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First place to look is the thermostat at the bottom of the right radiator. Pull back the wire cover, and with the ignition on, put a jumper wire between the 2 contacts to bypass the thermostat. the fan should go on.
    The thermostat not working has been a problem on some bikes like my 2012 500 EXC. I replaced it with a 90 degree centigrade thermostat to make the fan come on a little sooner.
    https://www.partsgeek.com/r5cf2jd-b...4+BMW+3.0S+Auxiliary+Fan+Switch+-+Beck+Arnley
    IMG_5599.jpg
  7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might try a good locksmith shop. Probably won't find much at a local hardware store.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost my spare key a couple of years ago and took my main one to a high end locksmith. They couldn't find an exact blank match to the key. But after some searching the guy found one he was pretty sure would work.

I went ahead with it and it does work.

I don't have the key in front of me. It is stored in my Camelback. If there is any interest I will get it out and try to figure out what the make and model is.
  9. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    2012 xcw in Denver

Sounds like the one stolen from me
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Good idea!
  11. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have already received several helpful things to check. The first thing to check is to short out the leads to the thermo-sensor. If the fan does not turn on this indicates either a faulty fan or perhaps a blown fuse. If the fan turns on the problem is most likely a faulty thermo-sensor.
    randingo likes this.
  12. Bengt Phorks

Oddometer:
    Some varieties of Master padlocks keys are the same as the KTM keys. My KTM key will open one of my Master padlocks and I found out when I accidentally put the wrong key in the lock. It just happened to be the lock I use to chain my bike in the garage. So now I use the bike key to open the padlock and run the bike.
    Tortuga353 likes this.
  13. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting

14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Loaded for bear (beer?). Death Valley trip for my 10th anniversary with my honey. She will be on her venerable DR350.

I probably will shed some gear, but some items I don't normally carry are an extra quart of oil, center-stand device, rear tube in addition to the front, emergency bivy sack, and loads of water.

I'm geared taller than I've ever been at 15/48.

500.PNG
  15. Bengt Phorks

Oddometer:
    Some maps for your gps and phone for Death Valley.
    OwlsheadGPS Project app for the iPhone. Offroad maps for all of California.

Owlshead gps maps for death valley.
    https://www.owlsheadgps.com/owlshea...ea/54-owlsheadgps-project-garmin-gps-img-file

Death Valley map for your phone. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
    http://www.ctuc.info/ctuc/index.php
    Buildzall and HellSickle like this.
  16. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I already downloaded a couple of different geo-referenced pdfs. For simple navigation, the park service map has been georeferenced and is available free.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, being a National Park there is not much opportunity for exploring obscure roads. I think you are pretty much limited to following what's on the official maps as long as you get the good backcountry map. Which IMHO is plenty.
  18. little squirt

little squirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sold my WR250X and upgrading to this in a couple days.

2016 500 6day, 3200miles. Can't wait!! Any quick pointers to keep an eye on at first besides oil change and check coolant? going to pull wheels, swingarm, triple trees to grease all the bearings and give a good once over. Thanks for any input fellas! Glad to switch threads :clap

[​IMG]
    Buildzall, Fast1 and DIRTLER like this.
  19. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks Great, should be good to go. Sometimes the ground strap from the battery to the sub frame needs to be cleaned and tightened.
  20. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer: