2012 ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that set up isn't for me but I dig shit like this when folks go all out making it their own and there's clearly a lot of effort and time put forth. I dig this kind of stuff. Very cool
    l_c8 likes this.
  2. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It works good for what I use it for, and I can change it back to a single track day rider in short order. :thumb
  3. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you remove the stock dongle thingie and leave the key in the on position the bike behaves exactly the same way. I like this setup as I can just use the run/kill toggle while off-roading but still have the ability to remove the key if I need to leave the bike unattended whilst I run in somewhere.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  4. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, so the black item that is removed when you insert the eliminator? Then the head and tail lights will go off after a few seconds when the kill switch is off? Might have to try that.
  5. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    You sir are correct!
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    That's the route I took, if we leave the bike outside somewhere over night it's usually out in BFE Utah with nobody around, otherwise it has a cable lock going through it or in the room.

I prefer the dirtbike (no key) setup but if I am going on a trip where I feel the key is important I can throw the switch back on in a couple of mins which doesn't say much for the bikes security, that's why its fully insured. .
    Bitingdog and oldfuddy like this.
  7. brokeassloser

brokeassloser I'll do it!!!

Oddometer:
    I have the key eliminator and sometimes I just pull the dongle. Takes seconds and fits well in my pocket. Usually I don't bother as these bikes are so easy to steal- that's what insurance is for.
  8. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya know.... That's pretty smucking fart right there. Nice.
  9. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you pull the jumper plug off the ignition key switch you will still be able to use the key switch as usual and the bike will shut off all the power after about 8 seconds just like if you have the key eliminator plug installed. The bike will not start unless the key switch is in the run position.
  10. brokeassloser

Oddometer:
    The key switch eliminator is about five bucks and probably in stock at your KTM dealer. Why monkey around?
  11. Bengt Phorks

Oddometer:
    You save 5 bucks.
  12. brokeassloser

Oddometer:
    You used to ride a KLR didn't you?:lol3
  13. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, im getting sick of carrying my tool roll, spare tube, pump, etc.... on my back, is there a nice solution some kind of tail bag, that is robust enough for some heavy items, and wont fly off going down the trail?
  14. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use one of these Dirt Bike Gear Tube bags to carry tools in. It fits perfectly below my HDB Rally Lite Setup but also fit well with my stock headlight map. I don't carry a tube in it tho. The way it is designed, it will not come off.

I also use a Cycoactive Fender Bag to carry my spare front tube and a couple of longer tools on the front fender. I converted to the newer style fender which is much stronger. I used a kit from Flatland Racing to put a 2014+ fender on my 2013 bike.

Here they are on my bike:

[​IMG]
  15. BRUTE448

BRUTE448 15' KTM 450 XC-W (Oregon Plated)

Oddometer:

i just got the wolfman luggage "day tripper" saddle bags and i 100 % vouch for them, rackless system and holds tight and steady!!! tools /coat/ shirt/ tow rope/ terry towel all fit with room to spare! and only thing on me now is water!!!

Attached Files:

oldfuddy likes this.
  16. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    GL Mojave would work well too. I had/have a Wolfman rear tool bag that carried my KTM tool kit and a tube and a couple other odd items. And an enduro tank bag for another tube, camera, gloves, phone, flashlight and other odd and ends. Pretty compact and out of the way. Plus hydration pack with tire irons and good to go. Tank bag also good for padding the twins on downhills while seated.

Photo with fuel bottle as well. I used the fender bag for that one trip then gave it to my son in law.

[​IMG]

I like the Kriega US-5 and 10 for mounting on the rear, but the US-10 may be a little large back there for my taste.
    RideFreak likes this.
  17. like2lean

like2lean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the Kriega 5l.

IMG_1016 (1).JPG

Attached Files:

18. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Wolfman Enduro Tool Bag. It has a base plate with compression straps and velcro that is bolted to the fender and solidly secures the bag, but allows the bag itself to be removed from the bike. Pics, because who doesn't like pics...

The mounting plate on the bike in the "just screwing around at the OHV park" configuration

[​IMG]

Attached to the bike (camera angle makes it look huge, lol)

[​IMG]

Contents of bag in organizer packs.

[​IMG]

Organizer packs exploded

[​IMG]
  19. Johnrunner89

Johnrunner89 AdventureNewb

Oddometer:
    If you want a super slim option, I run the dirt bike gear fastboy with a small tool wrap. Fits my ktm tool kit, full socket kit, an air gauge, pump, zip ties and t handle. I still carry a couple of small handy stuff in my hydration pack that I might need if I had hike off the bike. Here's my setup.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    biggziff and Lutz like this.
  20. Bengt Phorks

Oddometer:
    Oh god no just Huskys.