2012 Nutcracker 200, Logan Ohio

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by muddyrabbit, Jul 21, 2012.

1. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Getting close to that time of year again for the Nutcracker 200 Dual Sport & Adventure Ride weekend in Logan Ohio! Always a great event, put on by Buckeye Dualsporters, in association with the AMA and Ohio Motorized Trails Association. Camping, riding, pulled pork, what more do we need for a great weekend?

Here's the particulars for this years event:
    When? September 22-23.

Where? Logan Ohio, 34070 Sutton Road.

<small></small>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>

Where can I stay? Free camping on site is available, with showers! Tent or RV! Several motels close by as well.

What is included?
    Lunch and dinner on Saturday, Breakfast and lunch on Sunday.

What do I need? a street legal bike,
    and an A.M.A. membership.

What if I have a really loud exhaust?
    Then you are a tool and will piss off the crotchety old Marine running the event. This event uses trails on private land that the owners give special permission for every year and we want to keep it that way.

Will you post the sign up sheet here?
    Yes, as soon as I have it.
    [​IMG]

You can right click, save, and print (I think).

You can also download it here, CLICK ME.

Please help us pass the word and make this another awesome year for the Nutcracker 200! Proceeds benefit local volunteer fire departments, which is one reason there is so much community support for the event, and we are able to open up trail on private land for you!

2012 Nutcracker 200 Facebook Page, SHARE IT!

2. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun! I'm going to try to make it. ;)
  3. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I'm in.

By really loud exhaust, will my sorta loud, stock KTM can will be ok?
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    You'll have to use your judgement. Wide open race exhaust is a definate no no.
  5. Buckeye Dualsporter

Buckeye Dualsporter Buckeye Dualsporter1

Oddometer:
    the 20 mile plus afternoon single track loop may be longer then 20 miles :lol3. Gary's trail loop, part of the morning ride is in about 10 miles. 5 more morning sections to work out and clear. The flier should be ready today, whenever that is .

Steve is busy on the Adventure routes.
  6. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
  7. solorider40

solorider40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this still On abd are you guys doing a Road Enduro on Sunday?
  8. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Yes it is still on! I'm counting down the days for my annual mini vaca at the Nutcracker. I have not been told that Sunday will have the option of a road enduro, but I don't know for sure.
  9. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this doable on any DS bike?

I have a DR350 that is perfect little bike.........untill I have to wrestle it over trees and rock ledges.
  10. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I'm going to do it on a WR250R D/S ;) Mine weighs more than yours and has less horsepower...

DR350 dry weight 268 lbs
    WR250R dry weight 276 lbs

HP for DR350 ~ 30
    HP for WR250R ~ 28
  11. solorider40

solorider40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I'm gonna try and make the Adventure ride on Sunday :D
  12. Rocky739

Rocky739 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good ride. I haven't seen any info on mileage, percentage of trail vs road etc.. Also does the ride consist of small hare scramble loops connected by road or is it point to point on trail with road sections? Does the route have AA enduro sections in it as a option?

Thanks in advance for any info!
  13. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:

You have 2 options on Saturday:

1. Adventure Route, approximately 100 miles of side roads, dirt roads, forest roads, oil well access roads. Route begins at Kaeppner`s Woods on Sutton road, there will be a lunch stop along the way. Lunch is included in the price of admission. The route then ends back at Kaeppner`s Woods. This route is suitable for bigger bikes like an R1200GSA, KTM990 etc., inexperienced riders on small bikes, or anyone who wants to take it easy. 2 years ago a couple guys showed up on an old Honda standard and a Harley, and they did make it through.

2. Dual Sport Route, approximately 100 miles, same start and end point, again lunch along the route. This route will include more trail sections, many on private land. It will include many miles of single track. Quite a few sections of this route will be challenging. This route is suitable for more experienced riders on smaller dual sport dirt bikes like 450, 250 etc. Full knobby tires are recommended. If you were to attempt this route on something like a KTM 690 Enduro, BMW X-Challenge, or KLR 650 you better be a very very good rider. You should NOT attempt this route on a big bike like a KTM 990 or R1200.

Sunday is adventure route only.
  14. Rocky739

Rocky739 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks!!!!
    I'm on a WR450 and my buddy is on a 410 Husky. We did the Buffaloe 500 and had a blast but didn't find the trail sections very challenging.. Fast and fun for any skill level I'd say.

Looks like some great trails from the pictures I've seen and I like the idea of an adventure ride on Sunday.
  15. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I agree also, the Buffaloe 500 wasn't very challenging this year. :(
  16. Rocky739

Rocky739 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Good, I wasn't sure what to expect as it was my first D/S ride, and I hadn't ridden anything with a motor off road in over ten years.
    I had a lot of fun at Smits place and was pretty tired at the end but never once had to think holy crap!

Guess now we are trying to decide if we want to do this one or the LBL 200, probably can't pull off both in the same month. I'm starting to lean more towards this one.. Any advice?
  17. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I had fun at Smits place too except for this little get off. This happened about 5 minutes into the ride on Sunday morning. Don't guess I was awake yet...lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pbxv6hKcRyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been riding around LBL on my ST1300 on the gravel but never offroad so I don't know about the comparison. Maybe muddyrabbit will respond to that...
  18. Rocky739

Rocky739 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yarp!!
    I never fell all day but there were a few times my vintage 10 year old OEM front tire went above and beyond the call of duty for me! I've got a new set of tires in the garage in case it rains but they are so pretty I hate to put them on..
    I only did Sat as I had family stuff on Sun. We kinda used it as a shake-down ride (first real ride for both of our old used bikes) before heading out of state..

The bikes pretty much passed with flying colors (only a few missing bolts for me, I blame my crappy mechanic). So now we just have to commit to our next ride.
  19. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:

There will be about 20 miles of single track included in the dual sport. That section is in Bill's woods, so in the event it gets too tough you can bail out and bypass it. Keep in mind this is the event that includes sections calle "Scott's Kill Zone 1 & 2", as well as "Steve's Kill Zone Hill". That one is an innocent looking wide hill climb, but under the leaves and twigs is a grease layer, and the whole thing slopes to the side. This year if any of you decide to ATTEMPT to ride an R1200GSA with Metzler rain tires up Steve's Kill Zone Hill Mala Bunny and I will not be helping push you and your midlife crisis up the hill. You have been warned. We will however point, laugh, and film.

20. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this limited to a certain number of riders?

I will not know for sure if I can make it until closer to the ride date.