2012 RMAR, August 2-5

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Oct 24, 2011.

1. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    these are jim's pics

looking good and still pretty dry here
    [​IMG]

memorable moment, sorry it ended up with an injury
    [​IMG]
  2. Tellydoug

Tellydoug Troubador of joy

Oddometer:
    Sorry you tweaked your knee, but don't feel bad.

GS's all do that.
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

there's another one. not ophir but you look good here cathy

[​IMG]
  4. LuluOfDenver

LuluOfDenver The peanut gallery.

Oddometer:
    I loved it as we stood around staring at it, wondering how to get it back upright! But like a good GS, she started right back up again on the first try.:D
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the famous 640
    [​IMG]

more from saturday ride

[​IMG]

gateway to ophir pass
    [​IMG]

not mine, but you'll get the picture
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmlt0Dx5U5c

[​IMG]

i think, the road is as challenging as lippencott (death valley) and 2x as long
    [​IMG]

lulu happy to make it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this rider likes to hike
    [​IMG]

wally and another rider are all smiles
    [​IMG]

can you spot the white ford pickup in the background'
    [​IMG]

same rider, he hiked up and forgot his bike below....hahaha
    [​IMG]

one gets to laugh at himself...hahaha
    [​IMG]

this was the easiest part on the way up
    [​IMG]

at the top of the pass
    [​IMG]

heading down and up towards 550
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wohoooo.....the finishers
    [​IMG]

that was a nice ride, thanks to wally and crew.....:clap
  6. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:

It's funny how it's almost impossible to rate the difficulty of an off-road ride. I thought Ophir was a piece of cake and I've crash both times that I have attempted Lippencott.

Nice photos.

-dod
  7. redninja

redninja Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer:
    +1 to that...we went DOWN that steep part of Ophir, and were a little nervous, but made it fine. Always wanted to try Lippencott, but TOO SCARED !!:eek1 What's the easiest way to do it (Lippencott)......east to west, or west to east? I would much rather ride UP a steep section, than down it.....
  8. NSFW

Oddometer:
    at 12k feet, just hiking @ 100 yards almost killed me.......:cry

noticed that when i stand on the pegs, my leg muscles start to burn (biggest muscle in the body and consumes lots of O2), that makes it more difficult to breathe. this time, i sat on the bike 85%, normally at least 50% on the pegs. i know, if i master the proper balance i should not be working as hard.

agree, riding 3 days, the terrain wasn't really very tough, it just felt hard since i'm not acclimated. also, i tend to ride near the mountain side which is more rocky compared to the clean line next to the drop off.
  9. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

(posse)
  10. drklr

drklr MotoTrvlr

Oddometer:
    I did part of Engineer Pass on my DR350 on Sunday. I took Corkscrew Gulch to Poughkeepsie Gulch. Poughkeepsie was the hardest Pass I did all weekend. Extremely rocky. I was happy that I did it in the direction that I did since I don't know if I would have been able to do it in the other direction.

After Poughkeepsie I took Engineer Pass part way. I got up a bit and the DR started running poorly, as in not running. It would not take any gas. I turned around and Mountain Biked it down the pass and then went to Mineral Gulch.

I found a piece of shade and started to diagnose the problem. I was fortunate that a 4Runner was heading toward Ouray and offered his assistance. Found a piece of dirt/rust in the main jet. Put the bike back together and was on my way thanks to the help of My Good Samaritan RYAN!!!! I had met him earlier on Poughkeepsie. We were heading in opposite directions and he told me that I was going to have some fun up ahead. I knew then it was going to be rough and it was.

Some pics from a Fantastic Weekend!

Jack stretching for the ride down from Clear Lake.

[​IMG]

On the trail coming down from Clear Lake. This was a pretty easy trail about 5 miles from the campground. The views were fantastic. Al is happy to be alive and in Colorado

[​IMG]

Jack head over heels at the top of Imogene Pass.

[​IMG]

The "Find the Bike in the Pic" pic

[​IMG]

The "Black and White" pic

[​IMG]

What a great time. We appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing one of these events. Thank you to all the volunteers.

See you next year!!

John
  11. LuluOfDenver

Oddometer:
    Jack stretching for the ride down from Clear Lake.

[​IMG]

What a great time. We appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing one of these events. Thank you to all the volunteers.

See you next year!!

John[/QUOTE]

Love the pic of Jack stretching and Al being "happy to be alive in Colorado". It was great meeting you guys!! See you next year! Xoxox
  12. LuluOfDenver

Oddometer:
    I typically live in San Diego for 3 or 4 months out of the year, and it always takes me a week or so to get acclimated once I get back here. It just means you'll have to come out earlier next time and play at altitude for a while beforehand!

Thanks for posting all the great pics Joel!! You took some awesome shots, and the color turned our beautifully. It was fun to ride with you--hope we get to to it again next year!
  13. WildTurkey

WildTurkey Beast Master

Oddometer:
    A local guide sharing a rare sight with us dirty bikers on our way up Imogene from Telluride. He was releasing a baby badger that had been injured and rehabilitated. Harry was on pins and needles in anticipation...

<IFRAME height=360 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2020944422_6WHBK3V?width=640&height=360" frameBorder=0 width=640 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
  14. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    Rough??

Yes the two Flatland Noobs. Jailor8 from Illinois on the KLR and 4STAR from Iowa on his V Strom followed me!!! On Wednesday we took off and decided to do the Alpine loop Cinnimon- Lake city - Engineer. Well we didnt ask anybody, Bought the map gear up and GO!!!

We started late, 9 - 10 ish, Buy the time we were half way back to Engineer from Lake city we could see it was gonna rain. Ok we learned about the Afternoon monsoons the hard way.

It started pouring while we were on the top of Engineer. Down we went. There was a couple of Aussies around for just a bit, Then they passed us and last I saw them they were drifting corners. :eek1

We get to the bottom of Engineer and dutifully following the map turn North on 878 toward 550. We didnt study the dotted lines close enough to see we could haved turned south and went thru Animas Forks and below Cinnimon and back to Silverton in about 20 minutes. No we are dumb we are following a loop. Ok I had the map and the lead I'm Dumb.

We start down along the Mineral and cross a granite huge baby head rock field thats part of the road, I'm worried about pinch flats, Allan I found out later is worried his Skid plate is coming thru his cases! We cant see, I'm on the pegs so much my legs are killing me and I cant watch Allan in the mirrors to see if he has trouble. I stop where I can and tell him I cant watch you this is all I can handle but I will stop and wait at the turns and come back if you dont show up, He's game and tough in my book.

By the time we get to the turn off to Pougkeepsie Gultch (876) I stop on the bald knob of the rock in the intersection, I cant see Allans headlight thru the trees. I shut the KLR off, I cant hear him and he's got nice pipes. All I can hear is the rain on my helmet and the river beside me. I wait .... nothing... I get off and decide to start walking back as it was not that far since I last saw him and I really dont want to ride back up. I got about 30 feet and I heard him. He had to stop and take his glasses off because of the rain on them was screwing up his perception and he was beating his Strom to bad on stuff he could have misssed. We are setting there trying to figure out how much farther it is to the highway with the map and a jeep comes up from the north. Guy sez I been thru here a lot and I have never seen it this rough. "how far to the highway?" 3 -4 miles. Ugh. Lets go!

Then we got to the steps, not so bad on the KLR but the Strom was getting a beating. Finally 550 and the construction zone. You should have seen the 4 Harley riders waiting at the light stare at us when I "YEE HAAAWED" our arrival at the paved road!!!:lol3

Rough ? Plenty for this noob!!! but it was fun, I was scared but felt Alive!!

Jailor8
  15. advtenn

advtenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Group photo!
    [​IMG]
  16. San Juan Servant

San Juan Servant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joel,
    Thanks for posting the great pictures. I sure enjoyed riding with you all. See ya' next year.
    Wally
  17. janliness

janliness Battery Discharger

Oddometer:
    Boy, you guys have my respect! I still have to tighten the front suspension on my Jeep back to tolerance after doing that bit going up! And on a 'Strom and KLR??? OK, now I don't have any excuses (besides foreknowledge of the route?) to do something like that on my 690 :rofl

Glad you had fun and got some great memories...

jan

18. LuluOfDenver

Oddometer:
    Wally
    It was a great, if at times terrifying, ride! Thanks for everything and I hope to see you next year!
    :clap
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:

hi jonn, thanks again to you and crew for hosting this event and raising funds for cohvco....:thumb

http://cohvco.org/

any chance we can see the photos that was shown on the big screen. if you need a hosting site, i have another smugmug account that we can use. send me the disk and i will upload them.

many people prefer riding down, east to west to avoid pinch flats. others like the other way.

not too many high altitude riding here in socal, probably 5-7k feet. there are many trails in the sierras as much as 11k ft, but not readily accessible.

in this event, i took over 1k photos and only 1/3 came out good. doing them on the fly with a cheap camera doesn't yield a lot of good pics..........:lol3

you're welcome lois. i have the tendency to post more pics than most. writing a RR is tedious especially finding the right pics and appropriate commentaries.

you rode good on that saturday with street tires. i prefer dunlop 606s front and rear for my 640, unless i'm doing 80% pavement. but there are times that the 10% i still want to have knobbies.

i'll surely will look for that pretty smile next time.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    +1

haha, when i saw our ride leader in this jacket, knew right away i was in good hands.....:nod
    [​IMG]