1. eNewsletter Sign Up

For sale 2012 Ural T 1WD Sidecar Indiana Trade Ideas Updated EXTREMELY SLOW FLY AND RIDE READY! $8950

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by TripleDaddy, Oct 17, 2019.

1. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Hi Inmates,
    I'm selling my 2012 Ural sidecar rig. It's been a reliable and fun bike, but I need to make space in our garage. Here are the details:

Condition: The black powder coating is in excellent shape. The bike was originally a California bike, so no rust under the fenders.

20190928_184620.jpg

Underneath: clean with no rust.

20190928_184659.jpg

Engine: leak free and clean. I added the rubber tipped shifter lever, so that it doesn't screw up your boots if you toe shift (heresy if you're a Ural rider, I know...). Ural switched to fuel injection and 2014, and the general consensus from folks was that it was "meh" (but has improved greatly on newer models). I wanted a Ural with boring old carbs that I could fix myself, and that I could jet for my altitude, or a different exhaust, if desired.

20190928_184811.jpg

Farkles: Here is a list of the farkles currently on the bike. If you need to push the pricing on the bike down to help it fit into your budget, let me know and I can remove some farkles and just sell them on Ebay instead. I am figuring their value at ~60% of the new value; see the table below:

Ural Upgrades Value Photo 101719.png

Mileage: The bike has 3797 km on it currently (2359 miles) and will go up as I ride it to work once or twice a week and occasionally use it to give rides or pick up groceries.

Top Speed: As with any Ural, the top speed is limited by the horsepower and lack of aerodynamics. I've seen the speedometer hit 72 mph (downhill, wind at your back) but typically cruise along at 55-65 mph.

Fly and Rides:
    I've done a few fly and rides with the help of folks from AdvRider and I would do it again in an instant; those trips created valuable memories that I wouldn't trade for anything. If you are on the fence about doing a fly and ride, I'll make sure that it's gassed up, fluids changed, and is ready to go. I'll even throw in my ballast bag for free :lol3 (40 lb bag of rocks).

Test Rides: Have you ever heard urban legends about someone crashing a bike while on a test ride? Well, I'm that guy... I had a Tiger 800 for sale several years ago and the guy test riding it crashed it, in my driveway. He showed up once at my house to look at the bike and didn't have a helmet, so I told him he couldn't ride it. He came back with a helmet (Harley rider) and I cautioned him that the Tiger was a lot taller and had more power than his Sportster, so "take it slow, and be careful". He proceeded to dump the clutch, catch the grass next to my driveway, and dump the bike onto the concrete driveway. It skidded for ~5 feet, and he was unharmed. My first words were "well, you just bought it" :lol3

So, if you'd like to come and test ride the Ural, please give me some proof that you're an experienced sidecar pilot. If you're not, that's ok too; it just means that I'd be more comfortable giving you a ride in the chair. Once you buy it, I'd be happy to help you pilot it around the neighborhood, to help pass along any experience I have. When I bought my first sidecar a few years ago, I wish I had heeded the advice of more experienced sidecar folks and taken more time to learn and build proficiency before heading out on the road. I was lucky and didn't crash or get hurt, but I could have been safer when I was learning. My hope for you is that you take time and slowly build proficiency before you take off down the highway.

Trade Ideas: I'm not really looking for trades, but may consider the following if it is a good deal:

Triumph Scrambler
    DMC sidecar
    Supermoto or something to build into a motard:
    • DRZ400 prefer USD forks
    • DR650
    • KTM 690
    • BMW Xcountry

Photos: I'll post more photos as time and forum rules permit.

Title: The title is clean, current, and in my name.

Price: $8950

Thanks for taking the time to read my ad, and please let me know if you have any questions!
    DoubleCafe, yosso and Alex_Burton like this.
  2. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Kelley Blue Book: KBB is $8450 plus the $749 value of the farkles ($9199 total).

2012 Ural T Kelley Blue Book 1019.png

Tires: Plenty of tread and Brembro front brake

20190928_184635.jpg

Rear View: The high visibility tape can be removed from the bumper, if desired.

20190928_184728.jpg

Odometer: I ride the Ural regularly, so it will continue to go up slightly (photo is from about a week ago; the mileage as of 10/17/19 is actually 3797 km)

20190928_184900.jpg
  3. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your ad is how all ads should be structured and written. Bravo sir. I want one of these but not the right timing unfortunately.
  4. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everybody for their interest! I had one trade offer, but it wasn't really what I was looking for, so I'm still looking.

I changed the fluids in the Ural this week and below are photos of the magnetic drain plugs (before I wiped them off). If you're not a Ural aficionado, you might not know how closely folks scrutinize the drain plugs for "fuzz" (less is better). Bike has been ran with regular oil for break in, and is now converted over to fully synthetic 20-50 in the engine and gearbox, and fully synthetic 75-90 in the final drive.

I rode the Ural to work on Friday and despite the new high-tech fluids, top speed remains unchanged :lol3

20191019_122828.jpg

20191019_122701.jpg

20191019_122705.jpg

20191019_122710.jpg
    augerdin likes this.
  5. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Bump!

I've had some trade offers, but nothing I couldn't live without yet. The following has come up, and I failed to mention it previously:

Test Rides:

Have you ever heard urban legends about someone crashing a bike while on a test ride? Well, I'm that guy... I had a Tiger 800 for sale several years ago and the guy test riding it crashed it, in my driveway. He showed up once at my house to look at the bike and didn't have a helmet, so I told him he couldn't ride it. He came back with a helmet (Harley rider) and I cautioned him that the Tiger was a lot taller and had more power than his Sportster, so "take it slow, and be careful". He proceeded to dump the clutch, catch the grass next to my driveway, and dump the bike onto the concrete driveway. It skidded for ~5 feet, and he was unharmed. My first words were "well, you just bought it" :lol3

So, if you'd like to come and test ride the Ural, please give me some proof that you're an experienced sidecar pilot. If you're not, that's ok too; it just means that I'd be more comfortable giving you a ride in the chair. Once you buy it, I'd be happy to help you pilot it around the neighborhood, to help pass along any experience I have. When I bought my first sidecar a few years ago, I wish I had heeded the advice of more experienced sidecar folks and taken more time to learn and build proficiency before heading out on the road. I was lucky and didn't crash or get hurt, but I could have been safer when I was learning. My hope for you is that you take time and slowly build proficiency before you take off down the highway.

Bike is ready to ride, tires have plenty of tread:

20190928_184612-1.jpg

20190928_184641.jpg

20190928_184705.jpg

20190928_184814.jpg
  6. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Ready for "Ural riding season"!

image.jpg

This is actually a photo of my old 2013 Ural Tourist (not the one for sale - but virtually identical); but you get the idea. 1 wheel drive + good tires = lots of fun.
    solidol and yosso like this.
  7. azgeek

azgeek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very thorough description but you last post has me confused. Are both Urals Tourist models? How many miles have you put on the one for sale? Does the one for sale kick start easily?
  8. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Here is the summary:

Photo with the snow: This is my 2013 Tourist. You can tell it is a 2013 because they started using the new fastening system on the sidecar for the tonneau cover / windshield. I loved owning it, but could only afford 1 bike at a time. Since a Ural doesn't do Interstate well, I sold it for something faster, but missed it after I sold it. When the opportunity to buy another one presented itself I bought the 2012 that was virtually identical.

All other photos: Are of the 2012 that I have for sale. If you run a VIN check on the Ural website, it shows up as a model "T". I don't know the whole story (I didn't buy it new) but I wonder if the dealer added some upgrades to "convert" it into a Tourist (i.e. sticker, seat, etc.). To make sure I am above board, I posted the KBB info for a Model T.

Miles: As shown in the odometer photo. I still ride to work once a week or so (less when it's cold), so it will continue to go up slightly.

Starting: It starts great; typically first kick and no issue with electric starter either. Let me know if you want a youtube video posted of it starting (or preferably - you come check it out in person).
    azgeek likes this.
  9. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Ural is tucked away for the winter, waiting for Spring (or until I just can't stand it anymore).
  10. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I just installed some Oxford heated grips that are toasty warm:

20200111_093343.jpg 20200111_093351.jpg 20200111_093358.jpg 20200111_093411.jpg
    solidol, Mr. Ray and davide like this.
  11. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Started the Ural with the kick starter after sitting for a month. I'm counting that as exercise.
  12. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Bump with updated trade interests.
  13. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:

I had some questions about how well the Ural starts, so I shot this video. This is with the engine cold (hadn't run this day) and the outdoor temperature was about 60 F.
    Yellow Dog likes this.
  14. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Bump
  15. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I've had some interest and questions about the title. The title is clean / clear and in my name.

20200405_091015.jpg