2013/2014 Side Stand Switch Recall

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by squiffynimrod, Mar 13, 2014.

1. seven0411

seven0411 n00b

Oddometer:
    I received this recall last week, was a work of less than 10 minutes, the mechanic seemed surprised because my bike is the 2014 version, and so far only the 2013 had received the letter.
  2. OzOldrider

OzOldrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    Recall fix is of course the best thing to do, but if you did not already know, you can disable the switch.

Video here: http://youtu.be/kWVEAMZ7jMg
  4. B00001

B00001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except the video is on an older model so don't go by the 'red to white' wires.
  5. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 14 was built 8/19/13 and I got the letter today. The letter said it was for 2013. They may have used the same part, just like the black spring on some of the 14.
  6. Nakwenda73

Nakwenda73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been having the 2nd to 1st gear slowing to a stop engine stall happening with my bike and the mechanics can't figure it out. I just got the sidestand switch recall yesterday (Fri 11th '14) in the mail from BMW. So I called my BMW mechanic and asked about it wondering if that was causing my engine stall. He said they knew about it months ago when the first 2014's arrived and had already replaced the switches. I got my 2014 at the end of Oct.
  7. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Dealership rang yesterday - recall carried out today and bike already back in my hands... they were certainly on the ball as the letter hasn't arrived yet from BMW HQ! Well done BMW Park Lane.
  8. LaSelvaRider

LaSelvaRider Been here forever

Oddometer:
    My 2014 R1200GSW is on the list. The recall say's 2013 models however my VIN is on the recall letter. FYI For those who do not know what year model their bike is, VIN's never lie. The 10th diget will be an "E" for 2014 or a "D" for a 2013...
  9. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    ECE VIN WB10A010XEZ128290 was the first ‘E’ year bike with the 2014 update (steering damper etc) - 15 Aug 2013. I believe DOT VINs use a different range for the final 6 digits... Looks like the supplier was changed on 19 Aug, however, as the EPC reports an newer part number at that time.

The model year varies around the world - in DOT markets the model year on your reg will tally with the D/E switchover (2013/2014) but in ECE markets (at least within the EU) the model year is based on the build date within the calendar year (ie my 2014/E shows as a 2013 model on the reg, and the very first liquid cooled GSs would show as 2012 models.
  10. LaSelvaRider

LaSelvaRider Been here forever

Oddometer:
    Intresting stuff... Here in the USA the vin is the FINAL answer as to what year model the vehicle is. Not sure what the "ECE or "EU" means??? Will you enlighten me?
  11. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike was built on the 19 of Aug. I have the E in my VIN and I got the recall letter.
  12. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:

ECE - United Nations economic commission for Europe (the vehicle spec is generally used throughout the world, other than North America) - more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Forum_for_Harmonization_of_Vehicle_Regulations

DOT - department of transport (the vehicle spec used throughout North America)

EU - You're obviously having a laugh on this one... That's like me asking you what USA means!!

It's important not to confuse model year with built year... As you said, the D is 2013 and E is 2014 model years. The recall notice is ambiguous because it says 2013 models, which is true by build year, but not necessarily by model year.
  13. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duffs. Not arguing , but how sure are you of this ?

And is there any reference for that information ?

thanks.

14. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:

My dealer told me my serial number was within the first 300 of the 2014 model year update when I queried the compatibility of the gearshift assist pro system... So I subtracted 300 from my VIN and entered the number into the BMW vin decoder... Took about 5 tries to find the switchover from d to e
  15. Phaedrus469

Phaedrus469 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 R1200GS which was an early build as I just received my recall notice letter for the side stand switch.

I contacted the dealer to have the recall done, but they didn't have the parts in stock, said they'd have them in the next week or so. They strongly recommended that I not ride the bike until the recall is done. Has anyone else been told not to ride their bikes? I'd have to ride it almost 2 hours just to get it to them.

The question is that I have had a trip planned for over a month coming up in the next couple of days. Three days, about 1000 miles... I tempted to do it, but would appreciate any thoughts. Has anyone experienced this problem in the real world. Everything that I've read said it's happened to BMW while testing.
  16. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    The recall relates to switch failure due to insufficient waterproofing. Of course a question remains how many bikes were actually affected before BMW ordered the recall. 5? 500? No data on this. You are aware of the consequences so the decision is yours. Me? If I lived in the desert, for example, and was quite certain it wasn’t going to rain anytime soon I’d keep riding it.
  17. kimmy

kimmy n00b

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm

Hey,
    what about the side stand switch of the Tiger 800 .
    Is it completely wrong placed on mine 2011,
    so it's dangerous in a tight left turn?
    The next Tigers have it on the inside of the side stand .
    Greetssss , kimmy
  18. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went in to my dealer last week to schedule my appoitement and they told me that in "the system" the switch was replaced on my bike.

The thing is, I picked the bike up in Oct. 2013 and I got a recall letter April 2014 and the bike was never at the dealer between these dates.

He is telling me, it was replaced before they sold me the bike... which is weird.

How can I tell if the switch was replaced and is there a different part number?