2013 990 Adv/Baja fit for tall guy

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jimkav, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Jimkav

Jimkav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for something to replace my hp2 enduro and the 990FS on this site caught my eye.
    I’m 6’5”.
    Decent bike for tall guy?
    I like to travel.
    How dependable?
    Thanks
  2. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:
    I am 6’4” and have no issues with a 990. I actually think they fit tall people well, lots of complaints that the bikes are too tall to begin with. Helps us tall fellas
  3. ettienne.scheepe

ettienne.scheepe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the dependable side it is like any bike if you look after it maintenance and such you will have no issues.
    I have not been let down by my 990.
  4. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding choice for us tall fellas. Custom tall flat wide saddle helps, but even stock it offers much better ergonomics than other bikes.

As reliable as any other bike, I reckon. Does require care, but not extraordinary.
  5. Dirt = Life

Dirt = Life Living of water, loving on dirt.

Oddometer:
    Hi All

Being 198 cm i needed a bit of modification on my 990 R.
    The first thing i did was mount lower foot pegs from MOTOBAU.DE, 30mm lower.
    Then bar risers 20mm.

I would say it really helps on the ergonomics, especially when standing.
    I am looking for a taller seat to help a bit when sitting as well. I just cant sit for hours on the highway with my old knees bent too much.

Happy riding, it's a great bike.
  6. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4'' and made my own custom seat for my 950 Adv S. It is several inches taller than the oem seats and helps immensely with opening up the cockpit and making me feel less cramped. 2" bar risers are also a necessity. I haven't bought into lower pegs yet since they are expensive and can grab rocks that much easier as you ride. A longer shift knob helps quite a bit if you have big feet.

Overall, this is a wonderful platform for tall people. I did all this same stuff to a KLR650 and it was never as comfortable as the KTM 950.
  7. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    I got a boost from the Steering Dampener and I added Renthal 608 bars. Much more comfortable for a tall guy.

NoCalRide-06030.jpg
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    6'3" with a 36" inseam. I started with Knight Design footpegs and brake pedal. These are the lowest I could find. Adventure tall bars are cheaper than mounts and the cables and hoses reach if you flip the throttle over. Then a custom Mr Ed seat that's 2-3" taller. Now it's the most comfortable bike I have. Except, forget getting a windshield that will cover you. Better to just cut it very low and get smooth air.
    OR Trail likes this.
  9. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    6’3”, long torso guy here, with renazco seat and that “snap on” touring screen.... can’t remember the brand.
    I figured no way I’d get smooth air with tombstone slab way up there in the wind, but again the aerodynamics surprise me (often counter-intuitive for me), and I get very clean air with my setup.
    No iron butt stuff for me (never will), but many 8+ hr days in that saddle and I find it very comfortable. I just stretch my legs up over the crash bars, for a little bit every now and then, and shuffle around a bit, then right about when it’s starting to get a bit uncomfortable it’s time for fuel, which gets me on my feet, and the cycle repeats.
    For anything more than light off-road, I pop that tall screen off, just takes a minute.
    There are bikes that are more comfortable for me, as a fairly tall guy, but this one is quite comfortable, surprisingly so, and it’s just hair splitting for me as to which ones are more comfortable and why.
  10. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    !99 cm and a bit which should be about 6 8", Renazco with a 1" rise and 1" lowered pegs.
    LA to TDF and back and then to Ak and cross country and I've been super comfortable relatively speaking, a Aeroflow screen makes a lot of difference for long distance riding.
    The bike has been as reliable as an anvil.
  11. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    199cm.... You're a bloody monster! :photog
  12. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer:
    6'6" here (198 cm) - I concur that this is the best tall guy bike I've been on. I modified some Touratech GS footpegs that are 1" plus lower. I'm on the 950S so ground clearance hasn't really been a problem (noticeable difference, but you have to really be leaned over to scuff one or in a narrow spot by a stump, for example). Hammerhead long shifter, taller Renazco, Rox risers, and a lower screen complete the tall guy setup.
  13. jas123

jas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand steering damper are you using?
  14. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    Scotts.
  15. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a monster, slightly vertically challenged maybe.
  16. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super Enduro, built for 6 footers +.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    And then on the other end of the spectrum...
    there's a Baja for sale over in the flea market. And in the thread, a 5' 9" guy is telling a 5' 8" guy that the Baja isn't too tall. I guess it's all perspective. That's almost a foot shorter than some of you guys!
  18. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How different is the geometry on the Adventure? I'm 6'4" and one of the best things I've done to my SE was dropping the bars 20mm. It started turning like an enduro bike. Considering of trying a bit lower bars still but no way higher.
  19. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno the difference. But I put lower bars on my 950A, and it helped quite a bit for me off-road. I’m only a 6’ midget compared to everyone else here though.