2013 F700GS stalled while riding. Will Crank, but will not start.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ultane, Feb 11, 2020.

1. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I gave the above mentioned bike to one of my sons after retiring five years ago. Bought the bike for my then GF in Idaho to ride when we took off on trips to California.

I warned him that the last fuel I used was E10 (out of necessity), and that he needed to get the fuel out and replace with non-ethanol fuel ASAP. His riding was limited to short neighborhood jaunts just to keep the bike ‘running’. He told me that when the fuel got low, that he added non ethanol fuel to the tank. His riding continued to be short neighborhood jaunts.

On his last ride in the ‘hood, the bike stalled mid turn, and would not restart. He pushed the bike home. Bike has been on a CTEK charger continually since I gave it to him, so battery is ‘fresh’.

Any ideas as to where the problem may lie? I suppose residual ethanol could have finally solidified and clogged the injectors. I have a GS911, and will hook it up as the next time I travel to Savannah. I gave him a copy of the REPROM when I gave him the bike.

Side stand switch was replaced by dealer (Idaho) in the bikes first year.

Is there a bypass-able fuel pump controller like the R1200’s have? I have the Burns Moto cable for my R1200GSA.

Have stators been a problem on these bikes like in the F650 thumpers?
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start with the easy:
    Is there enough fuel in the tank?
    Battery terminal connections, these are prone to loosen with time and are very effective at this type of power loss
    Side stand switch, as you mentioned it
    Stators have not really been a problem on this year's model
    Fuel pressure?
    Not likely the E10, unless the bike has been sitting or really extended. I run E10 in all our vehicles, 2 F7s, many engines and have let it sit over winter every year in everything....and I stopped using stabilizers years back.
    ultane likes this.
  3. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it crank?
  4. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Cranks FAST and normal. Just won’t start. HMMM. I guess that rules out the side stand switch. (?)
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  5. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input!

I’ll check with my son on the fuel level.

Don’t know about battery connections, but I had just assumed they are okay since the CTEK kept the OEM battery charged through years of non use (with the exception of local neighborhood jaunts by my son). Heck, I don’t even remember where the battery is located. I put a pair of Gerbings connectors to the battery when I bought the bike, it escapes me where the battery is located right now. I’ll find it when I get there.

I’ll check the fuel when I get there. I’m assuming I can just remove a hose and measure fuel flow or amount per minute? Or do I need some sort of pressure measuring device?

Again, the GS911 will go with me to Savannah on my next trip.
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    what's the time line here ? was he running 5 year old e10 ?

*wait*.. nevermind, i see he added fuel.

did he add 1 gallon at a time or fill the tank ? the fuel pump needs to be wet to cool it.

i'd guess the fuel pump is shot. i have a unit ready to go if you want to borrow it to test.
    ultane likes this.
  7. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My money's on a clogged injector. E10 or no e10, it can happen. An F700/800 won't restart if even one is clogged.
    ultane likes this.
  8. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Do the easy test first, jump the battery off of a car battery (non-running car)
    ChicoProf and ultane like this.
  9. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you try and jump it you had better be VERY careful. The very fact that the battery has not been accessed and terminals tightened in recent memory means they almost certainly NEED that service, the bloody things are loose every year on our two F700s. The wife's KTM does that also, go figure?
    Fuel pumps or controllers are frequently issues with these bikes, that would be next on my list if it were mine.

OK, just noticed you said it cranked FAST. Neither of our F7 bikes would be described as cranking fast, but that weakens the suggestion to tighten the batt terminals. Pump issue would now be heading the list. I bought one just to have on hand, I hate losing riding days waiting for parts
    morfic and ultane like this.
  10. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a big “duh!” for me. I just realized the answer to my question was in your thread title!
    ultane likes this.
  11. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I don’t know exactly when he put the non ethanol fuel in. All I know is he told me the fuel was low, so he added non ethanol gas. He has barely ridden the bike since I gave it to him. He travels a lot, and has two young boys. Now he’s interested in riding with me.

Use of your fuel pump would be great! I’ll let him know. Should I measure output first? Or pressure?
  12. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I’ll check that after I make sure the fuel pump is actually pumping fuel. Not sure how I’ll check it, but I’ll hopefully figure out how to visualize it(?).
  13. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I’ll ask my son to get out the REPROM and figure out where the battery is, and check that ASAP!

When I first turn the key on, before starting my 1200GSA, I think the fuel pump can be heard pressurizing. Does that happen on the F7’s?
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    You can hear the fuel pump whir when you turn the key. You can bypass the fuel pump controller. There's a thread somewhere in "Parallel Universe" that describes how to do these things.

Google results: https://www.google.com/search?q=adv...ome..69i57.13836j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    scarygary and ultane like this.
  15. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    flei likes this.
  16. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    My son was finally able to check on a few things on the bike. He said that the fuel pump does spin up on turning the key to the on position.

Also said that the battery cables were tightened okay.

His CTEK battery tender says the battery is okay. I’m guessing that indicates that there is not a bad ‘cell’?
  17. KathyZGS

KathyZGS Ride Like a Girl

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem with my 2013 F700GS! we ended up replacing the fuel pump, which MOSTLY fixed the problem. Next we plan to replace the fuel filter. Two things that have helped reduce the problem: use 93 octane fuel and make sure to add fuel very slowly when refueling. We haven't had any issues since starting this practice, it's not a complete fix but a work around until we can figure out the root cause. Next up would be to drain all fuel and completely clean out the tank and lines. Hope that helps!
    ultane likes this.
  18. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is something with the tipover switches, IIRC.
    ultane likes this.
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Isn't it the case that on these bikes the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump, so that when you replace the pump the filter also automatically gets replaced? At least that is the case on my 2010 F650GS. Does your bike have a carbon canister? If so maybe check that. There's a thread somewhere here on that issue.
    ultane likes this.
  20. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The only integration is that BMW will only sell you the entire assembly. The fuel pump and filter are separate parts each available separately on the aftermarket. I just did my wife's 2010 F650GS.