2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.

0B179C2D-2C99-4758-AA50-A1F2DCCE3BBA.jpeg

FCAE16CC-A794-4BB7-871A-F031F3124AA5.jpeg

85945855-3F6A-4B38-B397-337E55ACB956.jpeg

82403EBA-2012-4D45-B90A-C67EBA6DB2F7.jpeg

First impressions are it’s a lot like this bike, which is a favorite of mine. It does have that extra gear thing going on, me gusta, not sure what it means for the big CB, for now we’re keeping both. The CB1000 is a very comfortable motorcycle, feel like I could ride it anywhere.

CB1100 needs that quarter fairing, not sure if I can justify the $500 clams at the moment. It just looks so good, though, and works great on the 1000.
    Bors, Dao1 and EZMoney like this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad it’s working for you!! So cool having both.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    That CB 1000 is beautiful. Don't think I've ever seen one in the states. The big bore 1300 was one I always lusted after.
    image.jpeg
  4. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait. What? You have a "Big-1" too!?! Man, you've got excellent taste in motorcycles.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  5. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had one when they were new.
    Handled & had good power, but in manly contests of acceleration, my FJ1200 would always prevail.

There was a motorcycle magazine article that talked about "The Big One" name, saying that the author didn't care if Honda wanted to call it "The Fat Bastard".
    We always called it "The Fat Bastard " after that.:lol3
    hondahawkrider likes this.
  6. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    4284.jpg

4276.JPG
    Bump for an under-rated machine that's just about fallen off Road Warriors for lack of discussion!

Here's my new-leftover '17 CB up on Skyline Drive (Shenandoah Nat'l Park, Virginia USA) a week or so ago. Few months into owning it, I'm just loving the smooth mellow purposeful way this bike rides and the burbly inline-4 soundtrack along the way. It's a great bike for getting out and enjoying the scenery, leaning through the bends at 7/10 and feeling the breeze in your face (vs harder-edged bikes that make you want to get out and tear up the road). Very relaxing, and sometimes that's exactly what you want in a bike. Really beautiful to look at too, IMO.
    Bors, jethrocephus, Tbusa and 5 others like this.
  7. desmoface

desmoface Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a good looking bike.

DESERT VIPER likes this.
  8. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
    EBA4AE68-F5D1-4119-9246-22267D929D8B.jpeg Love my CB1100
    Tbusa and ysrebob like this.
  9. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    1097.jpg

4119.jpg

Then and now...

Top photo was taken many years ago. I was a newlywed and in the Air Force back then, stationed at Wright-Patt AFB in the flatlands of Dayton Ohio. Out exploring the terrific motorcycle roads along the Ohio River, I had stumbled across a roadside display near Burning Springs West Virginia marking the site of what some say is the first oil well in the USA. I don't usually do selfies, but given how much I love motorcycles and burning gasoline in them, I snapped a quick shot. 1996 Honda VFR750.

Bottom photo is from just last month, when I stumbled across the same place again. SO much has changed: I'm a dad now, with mouths to feed and a small business to run and a headful of grey hair to show for it. No longer in the Air Force, and several moves and many motorcycles later, we live in Virginia these days - where I'll probably live out my life.

A few things in the two photos have been constant through the years that passed, while just about every other thing in my life has changed:
    - same pair of Aerostich "combat touring" boots, probably have a few hundred thousand miles left in them, too
    - same choice of Roadcrafter riding suit, but I had to go a size up in the waist a few years back
    - still on a bright red Honda! ...though a more sedate one now that I have mouths to feed at home

A heartfelt Thank You to the memory of Mr. Soichiro Honda, a longtime personal hero of mine. Your work and your machines have enriched many lives.
    dogfm, pdedse, frog13 and 16 others like this.
  10. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
  11. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
    4E1855A3-3082-47B3-BDB8-E30AEF50C71C.jpeg Beautiful bikes.....I too have an affectation for CBs and VFRs
    CbDude likes this.
  12. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are awesome
  13. jazzmans

jazzmans fickt euch

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2013 for five years now, and I love the bike more and more every day.

My FZ-09 is lighter, faster, quicker, more nimble, etc etc, but,

I love my CB 1100. It's weird.I definitely get more, WAY more compliments when I'm riding the CB.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what good tires I can replace the ancient stockers with? I'd like radials. (I'd like Pilot roads, but can't seem to find them)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks.

[​IMG]
    Mobiker likes this.
  14. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The heart wants what the heart wants :raabia
    I had a Yamaha FZ1. Great bike. Did everything better than my antique BMW. Found myself riding the BMW more so the Yamaha is gone. Makes no sense :umph
    frog13 likes this.
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bridgestone T31s are the most modern tire that come in OEM sizes, but you may need to get the rear from the UK - I haven’t seen US distributors stocking it.
  16. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    4213.JPG

4219.JPG

Out and about on the CB... top of Reddish Knob, a local landmark on the western border of the Shenandoah Valley near Harrisonburg, Virginia. Behind the bike, to the west, begin the many parallel ridges of the Alleghany mountain range in West Virginia. A narrow but paved Forest Service road winds to the top of the peak. CB running like a top as usual.
    HapHazard and jethrocephus like this.
  17. Cormanus

Cormanus n00b

Oddometer:
    jazzmans, Pirelli Angel GTs are a pretty good tyre and, if you can live with a 160 rear, are a good choice. I’ve run PR3s, BT31s and now the Angels. I prefer the PR3s and the Angels to the BT31s.
  18. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine owns a RS-model and he complains about the seat. Are there alternatives ?
  19. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    I traded-in my 2017 Guzzi V7III in today....and brought this nice 2017 CB1100 home...
    IMG_20190906_220707951~3.jpg

...and it now looks a LOT better after an hour of removing all the stupid stuff it had been inflicted with...
    IMG_20190906_130259597.jpg

The black engine guards will also find themselves on eBay after I remove them in a few days, they will share the same fate as the Givi tail trunk. The 'unknown brand' universal-fit windshield was left at the dealership with instructions to either give it to someone who may want it, or just toss it if they didn't want to bother with it.

The chrome luggage rack is a first-rate item that will stay on the bike, I haven't checked yet, but I suspect it is a Honda accessory and not aftermarket, it is of excellent quality.

The only other things I plan to change shortly, are installing handlebars with less rise than the standard set, and bar-end mirrors.

In the spring it will get new tires, the front is worn enough to merit replacement, and the rear is almost new, but it is some weird-ass Continental with very blocky tread pattern. Perhaps it was cheap, and the previous owner just grabbed whatever was on sale someplace and spooned it on, but it will be replaced, along with the front, with a more appropriate tire.
  20. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    4397.jpg
    Zen time: Saturday morning sunrise on the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Natl Park, Virginia. Got back home just as the rest of the family was waking up.