2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike. One of two Suzukis I would HAVE to have if I ever win the lottery.
    Backlund likes this.
  2. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're not all that expensive, you can buy a pretty much fully restored, very presentable, GT750 for between 10-13G's, about the price of a comparable(?) new machine.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I just can’t afford anymore bikes (or another garage) and I’m not giving up the two I have. Always wanted a water buffalo & a wankle.
  4. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a '72 water buffalo back in the '70s. The motor ate itself around '80. It sat for awhile, was moved from Michigan to Tennessee to Missouri. By the time I got the money, time and work area to work on it, the motor and trans had froze solid. I started estimating what it was going to cost to restore, doing the work myself, and balked. Sold it to a guy KC sometime in the nineties. With mine he had 5 of them and 5 or 6 Yamaha RD350/400's. When I delivered it to him, he insisted I take his restored, like new '75 buffalo for a ride. The GT750s were good bikes. You should do it :evil :deal :augie
    Backlund have fun with yours if you keep it. Or if you don't. You seem to flip bikes a lot :-)
  5. pekingduck

pekingduck Long timer

Oddometer:
    cb1100 patent 4.jpg
    Just stumbled onto this thread. Had a 2013, 2014, now a 2017. Noticed the blueprints on the previous page show what looks to be provisions for a rubber-mounted front engine mount. An old 1992 GSX1100G had the same, and I remember riding it and thinking it was smoother than anything I'd ridden, including a Gold Wing and a CBX.
  6. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^Well, a rubber mounted motor isn't going to help it lose any weight, unfortunately.
  7. pekingduck

pekingduck Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can live with the weight, though I agree it would be nicer if it were 50 pounds lighter. Or if I were 50 pounds lighter. Or both.

I was looking in old Cycle magazine tests, and the 1972 CB750 weighed in at 538 wet. MCN tests put the CB1100 at 540 wet.
    Wish I had only put on 2 pounds in the last 48 years.
    MiltonHog, Jim K. and HapHazard like this.
  8. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! I really like this bike!
    IMG_20200508_134225152_HDR.jpg
    Deadwood, South Dakota, this afternoon.

Carry on.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you buy another?
    Backlund likes this.
  10. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
    Love riding in the Black Hills.....beautiful picture!
    Backlund likes this.
  11. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I've had this CB for at least a year and a half, but I only recently began to ride it with any regularity. It would sit in the garage while I rode the Sportster or Thruxton most of the time.

At first, although I liked it well enough, I just didn't bond with it for some reason, feeling that it was, in performance at least, too 'vanilla' and as some would say, too appliance-like and without 'soul'....whatever the f#ck that means.

What it actually is, is a very refined and highly competent do-it-all machine who's performance beauty is in it understated subtlety. It gets 'the job' done superbly, without a hint of extraneous bullshit, it's all substance.

The suspension on this thing makes every other bike we own feel like a buckboard. The same bad road that damn near cripples me when on the Sportster almost disappears when on the CB. The clutch is light, the transmission is a joy to shift, and the brakes are...I guess..very good.

The engine took some getting used to, and although it certainly is slick and quiet, the very flat power curve seems odd at first, anything but sporting in nature, but after adjusting one's brain to accommodate it's peculiar nature, it can certainly be ridden quickly down a favorite backroad. It's acceleration more of a big, satisfying, 'push' rather than a rocket launch. The bike is almost relaxing while going way too fast on.

The engine has an 8500 redline, but I almost never exceed 4000 rpm during my rides, as I get all I want out of it at that number and below. Unless it's an emergency and every half-horsepower counts, there just isn't much to gain at higher rev levels. It's so incredibly over-geared it's ridiculous. 4000 rpm in 6th being about 85 mph on the (quite optimistic) speedometer, means that, if it had 200 hp to play with, it would be moving at 180-190 if it could pull it's 8500 redline, but at 80-85 hp, it's a struggle to break 100 in top gear.

But even that's ok, because it's so mellow and smooth to hum down a nice backroad road on in 5th and 6th gear, pulling 2500-3500 rpm (and still generating enough speed to go to jail if caught on the sheriff's radar...75 in a 55, and all that).

I could blather on even more, but I know I've been 'preaching to the choir' here, so I'll end this by just saying, again, what a great motorcycle this machine is.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah ok, maybe I had you confused with the V7 thread or something! Glad you're liking the CB - I do miss my DLX sometimes, for all the reasons you mention.
  13. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, as much as I'd like to buy my V7III back, it's not in the cards. :(
  14. Mister D

Mister D Violating community standards

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I was starting to think I was the only person on here with a CB1100. I find my CB to be a nice complement to my KLR. It makes the KLR seem light. And the KLR makes the CB seem sporty. But I know they're both lying.
    IMG_20200509_090436.jpg
  15. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very Nice
  17. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another from yesterday's Deadwood ride....
    IMG_20200506_125521533_HDR.jpg
  18. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
    I have that same combo... 960B7EC2-7FB4-4205-82F9-F2EB2EDF9A52.jpeg D598391C-B597-4131-83BD-1FBE6F79B3B1.jpeg
    LuvPop, Johann, HapHazard and 4 others like this.
  19. Marcusbee

Marcusbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Whitehouse kit really looks great on the 1100. Maybe the styling Honda should have followed from the start.
    Unfortunately Honda Australia only brought the CB1100 in from about 4 yrs at the start of the manufacturing run (2010 - 2012 inclusive if my memory serves me correctly).

What wire wheels do you have fitted?
  20. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
    Those are factory Honda, SAMURIDER took them off a Japan -spec 1100EX and sold them to me.
    Marcusbee likes this.