2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    6683.jpg
    Have been experimenting with windscreens since the CB is currently my main longer-distance bike.

This is the best setup I've been able to come up with: keeps wind pressure off your torso, without creating any turbulence at helmet level. It's a Givi Airflow AF49. To prevent helmet buffeting, I had to slide the upper adjustable portion of the screen to its lowest position. I cut off the (unused) lower half of the sliding part of the shield for a cleaner appearance... otherwise it looks kind of odd with the sliding part all the way down. I still think the CBs looks their best without any windshield at all, but this setup has proved to be very functional for longer distance / higher speed rides.
    Kikemon, TonyKZ1, CbDude and 3 others like this.
  2. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    6701BW.jpg
    Artsy shot...
    swimmer, davide, frog13 and 7 others like this.
  3. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCT cb1100 on the way?

[​IMG]
  5. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has a foot gear lever, which on a DCT is never on the bike unless its added as a rare option.
  6. pekingduck

pekingduck Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that it is automatic clutch, not DCT, so it is lighter and simpler. The CB1100 is oriented generally towards older, more experienced riders who are more used to using the clutch and don't mind it. I don't like their DCTs because you lose that ability to feather the clutch at low speeds, or fan the clutch for a bit more power. You also lose the smoothness of the engine braking.
  7. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a VFR1200X DCT, no problem with smooth engine braking using the manual shift up/down buttons. No problem at all using DCT at low speeds. For more power you just turn the throttle by how ever much you need. The DCT was the only thing I liked about that bike and will feature in one of my future bikes, brilliant tech that transforms riding into the next level and makes quick shifters feel prehistoric.
    Blakebird likes this.
  8. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, kaertner; a friend let me ride his VFR1200 (the sport touring one) and the DCT was the best part of the bike. I went into it expecting to hate the DCT, but after riding it I was surprised by how much I liked it.
    Skidmarkart likes this.
  9. pekingduck

pekingduck Long timer

Oddometer:
    I borrowed a VFR1200F DCT, and while splitting lanes in LA traffic, at lower speeds, it would transition into neutral and lose the engine braking connection. Also when doing tight feet-up turns. I also tested the NC700X in both versions, and I could always shift smoother with the clutch. But then, my car and truck are both manual transmissioned, and I greatly prefer them to an automatic even in stop-and-go traffic
    Alexander B likes this.
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My AT’s DCT never goes into neutral unless you’re at a stop - it does a great job of clutch slipping at very low speeds. It doesn’t revmatch on downshifts, so it can be a tad lurchy there dropping down, but the 18+ fixed that. The latest ones also tie the six axis IMU in, so they’ll avoid up shifting at lean in the sportier drive modes.

Either way, not sure an auto really fits with the “classic Honda” purpose of a CB.
  11. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cblais, I hear what you're saying about an auto on a retro-style CB, but myself I would be interested in at least checking it out. I drive a car with a DCT and I have to say it's just more enjoyable than a regular automatic. Leave it in drive and you have what acts for the most part like a regular automatic, but put it in sport and play with the paddle shifters and it can be damn near as much fun as a manual, without the drawbacks a manual can have in congested city traffic. Don't get me wrong, overall, considering different conditions it's probably a wash as to which is preferable, and certainly a manual still gives the best direct connection to the vehicle and more pure fun, no doubt. In any case, Honda certainly isn't afraid to try new directions sometimes and I give them all the credit for that.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I literally just said I love Honda’s implementation of the DCT in bikes...

I do think an “automated clutch” would be an interesting addition though, since that harkens back to their old Hondamatics and the like. Wasn’t that kind of how Yamaha did their clutchless option on the FJR?
  13. pekingduck

pekingduck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn't mean that it goes into neutral, I meant that it disengages 1st as if the clutch were pulled in. To me, it's the answer to a question not asked.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe this was unique to the older implementation on the VFR? I’ve never had this issue under any sort of speed with the AT, and I frequently use it crawling through extremely slow stop and go.
  15. pekingduck

pekingduck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it was a 2010 model, so if it's improved, great. Having clip-ons didn't help either.
    Hopefully the automatic clutch is more seamless.
  16. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda CB400A was an 'automatic' model from the 1970s, very retro to have such a gearbox on a new 'retro' CB but hopefully it will be DCT this time if they take this route.
  17. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how's the job of valve checking and or shim replacement on the CB1100?.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  19. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^Very nice, but what do y'all make of the extreme bluing at the front of the muffler?

(The headpipes make an early Hinckley Bonnie look clear, as well - extreme leaness?)
  20. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    It’s titanium, done on purpose for the aesthetic effect.
    HapHazard likes this.