2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    The request for a square headlight is even more baffling. There has never been a bike that looks better with a square headlight.
  2. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    I may be cheap, but I'm not easy!:D

There is a market for the Honda, but how sustainable would it be? Honda sold lots of Nighthawk 750 standards for years and years, but after a while everyone that wanted one had bought one.
    The FZ8 isn't retro - it's mostly a de-contented FZ1, and subject to a different set of market issues.

It would be nice, in a perfect world, if we in the US could get neat bikes like the W800 and CB1100.:(:
    The wider choices available might make more than a few, er, "thrifty individuals" dust off their checkbooks.
  3. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Those thrifty individuals didn't buy the W650 and my local Honda dealer had a brand-new, never titled 1998 NH750 on the showroom floor until about May of 2001. :deal

Not saying the W800 & CB1100 aren't cool. Because they are.

They will not sell in adequate volume to justify a big company like one of the big 4 bringing them over though. There simply aren't enough Luddites with the cash that aren't already riding a Guzzi, Triumph, or mid-control H-D and are willing to take the depreciation hit.
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    With that logic, Yamaha should never have brought over the Tenere because the Transalp was a sales flop in the US in the late 80's .

Times change.
  5. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    And they haven't been out long enough to tell yet.

If there are brand new 2012 S10s for sale in 2014, it was a flop. Hopefully it won't be.
  6. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    I feel like I should say that here in Western North Carolina, the local Honda shop in Asheville sells every CB1100 they can get their hands on, but the bandits and FZ8, along with other standards, seem to be showroom potatoes. The last one they had was a dealer trade they had to do to get it because they had already sold out their allocation for the year. I was there when the customer picked up, and it was a straight up "shut up and take my money" type deal. So far so good for the cb11 around here at least. We got 1 local who does the commute on his.
  7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the Honda CB1100 is way cool! Great looking bike, and I would LOVE to own one.

But would I buy one if Honda brought it to the US? Not likely. I'm a one bike guy (at least that's what my wife says) and I need something that can do do two up duty with comfort and ease. That's why there is a Nomad in the parking lot right now. I am sure the Honda has plenty of motor for two up work, but not enough room for the two of us to be comfortable for very long.

Now if things should change and I could get a second bike, I would be on the CB1100 like bugs on a windshield!

I hope Honda brings it, but I don't think they will. And if they do, I don't think it will sell in sufficient numbers to keep it around very long. :cry

Frankly, as much as I like the 1100, I would rather have the CB1300 Bol'd Or... :clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]
    Fenianbastard and Shin1ichi2002 like this.
  8. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Werd. It must be some kind of sense memory thing for him. It just takes me back to finicky ujm's that had mediocre power and the hat trick of frames that were both squirmy and heavy. The modern standards like the CB1100 are what make me think we're living in the golden era of standard bikes. They have style, power, some have great suspenders, wonderful engines, and are easily serviced. square or rectangle headlights? No spank you. :deal

Screw looking back. Live in the now! :lol3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaQ-Y6kLOM
  9. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    How do they sell a bike that has not been imported to the US?
  10. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    haha! Yeah, I realized my goof and came back to change it.
    Too late. ADV's knights of nee already found me out. :lol3
  11. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    So are we talking Big One? Dealers were still pulling them out of crates in 2000. No wonder American Honda is so gunshy.
  12. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    I think I'll leave it and tweak the ocd who know which bike I mean. :clap
  13. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping Honda brings it for a year or 2, and if it's a sales flop, much like the GB500 I'll have a classic sitting in my garadge which will hold it's value down the road as there will always be someone longing for a modern version of a 70's/80's UJM.
  14. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    This bike and its discussion is interesting in many ways. I am 54 and an old rice burner Honda kid. I have never wanted a Harley though my brother who is nearly 5 years older adores them and owns them.

I think Honda has gone totally out of sync with things in the last 25 years. They brought out the NSX way too soon, and even then I think they would have sold like hot cakes in the west if they had been executed properly....just not enough of anything really. Then they went after the boy racers...which is fine, but don't leave behind your base. Then the motocross bikes got so specialized that unless you were flat out on a dirt course they were unusable.

So what I think is going on with the Adventure riding crew is we are folks who like a comfortable bike that can do a lot well. We do like nostalgia, but we want modern nostalgia. Upright sitting is a must.

So Honda needs to go back and massage its classics and bring them back for the old ricers. But they are too slow. I would have strongly considered the CB1100 in my latest shopping spree, though I would immediately go to a fabricator and change it into two pipes to a side. More chrome baby.

But instead I got a Stelvio Guzzi and love it. There was a time I would defend Honda to the core, but in my mind there is some kind of war that has been being fought within the Honda Motor Company....even there automobiles have not had that cutting edge for years. Mark my words one of these days it will leak out, even if they are Japanese.

But I think I will look for a CB900 or 1000 to cherry and have as an antique.

On the other hand if they don't screw the pooch and get off their duff the new 250L and NX700 are fantastic. Now a smooth light 450L. And a bigger NX with that fabulous engine design would own the adventure world because they are thrifty, powerful, and keep the weight way down low...just need more seating room.
  15. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Kraven, you mean the CB1000R?
    [​IMG]

it's been around since 2008, but it still makes me think of

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and No Stairway! Denied!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FOt3r_aNNxE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  16. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two years ago when word of this bike leaked out, I called American Honda and told them I would buy one full retail IF you had the balls to bring it. Fell upon deaf ears I guess. I still feel this way. I think it would get along in the garage with my new CRF250L.
  17. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two years? This bike has been floating around internet forums since early in 2008!

There is a 350+ post thread here which started Jan. '08 along with new threads (like this one) started every year thereafter when talk turns to new model inroductions.

We keep hope alive, no doubt.
  18. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. DesmoTull

DesmoTull Recovering Ducatisti

Oddometer:
  20. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Four. I really identify with the guy in that video.