2013 Hoosier National Forest Ride Oct. 26-27

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by RoadDad, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Coming Barry. I'm beat, sorry we didn't run into each other. Pics tomorrow.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  2. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    I think whoever didnt go but said they were going to should have 2 buy some stickers. lol I have a lot still. They will be for sale and converted into UNHNF campout and ride.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  3. brewski83

brewski83 Squatch Hunter

Oddometer:
    Had a blast! (including sleeping on the ground by the fire with a log pillow) Thanks Paul for leading the way this weekend... It truly was fun watchin that trailor bounce around on the gravel. Glad I got to meet a bunch you crazy bastards...now if only I could remember your names....got some good vids too. Keep an eye out!
  4. Oatmeal Bonewell

Oatmeal Bonewell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a blast. It was great to meet so many of you. Thanks to Nick and Anthony for leading the way. Thanks to Roaddad for laying out the route. I already ordered the new turn signal lens and I was just lookin at those touratech crash bars...
  5. Loose Nut

Loose Nut wannabe Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to give a special thanks to everyone who helped put together the HNF 2013 – you’ve done it again and put together a FANTASTIC ride. I know how much work it is to get everything coordinated, worked out, planned, plotted, pre-rode, confirmed, printed, promoted, posted, attended, etc…….you all did GREAT!

Unfortunately, I was only able to ride with you guys/gals on Saturday – Fortunately, I was able to ride with all of you on Saturday. I left Evansville bright and early – well it was still really dark and cold - Saturday morning on the trusty vstrom……….figured if I had a cold dark ride ahead of me for several hours I would like to have a big snuggly sheep skinned seat and windshield. so glad that I did.

Stopped for gas at Martinsville at 9:30ish, to be greeted by several southern Indiana riders who had wisely chosen to ride the north bound HNF route on Friday……….sure wish that I had thought of that. Also ran into Mr. Dabalina……..after a quick meet and greet I was gassed up and ready to ride. Only to discover that Indy’s parking lot had just about emptied all of the adventure riders. Oh well, Dabalina and I were able to ride together for several miles. We caught up with several others and then we got separated by a highway crossing and cars and trucks between us…………sorry, I didn’t wait on you as I had to get back to Evansville Saturday evening. I saw one of the groups at a gas station in Ellettsville, but kept on going. You all pick some great roads – I was having too much fun to stop or take any pictures.

Just north of Solsberry, I caught up with RoadDads misfit group of hooligan riders – these guys were having too much fun to be legal. We made a quick stop at the Yoho General Store, grocery, deli, café, gas station where RoadDad chugged a cup of Hot Chocolate that made steam come out of his ears.

[​IMG]

Like I said, these guys are a hoot to ride with so I stayed with them for a couple more miles. Hunger was taking its toll so Jerry navigated us to Loogootee for nourishment. It was so much fun to see dual sports running up and down main street.

[​IMG]

It was time for some routine maintenance, so TPar rotated valve stems for good measure……..thank goodness RoadDad carries extra – always a good idea to ride with folks all kitted up and outfitted for any kind of situation.

[​IMG]

It looked like the $5 lunch special was a real hit………I stood watch in the parking lot and ate my chicken burritos and peanut butter crackers that I packed along just in case…….it as nice that everyone left their keys in the bikes, I got to take about 12 demo rides while everyone was eating their lunch……Thanks Guys!
    [​IMG]

After lunch, we re-grouped and headed south again……….for just a little bit. We came to a Special Tire Changing Stage of the HNF. Seems someone had decided to pick up one of the loose nails on the road.

[​IMG]

Seemed that there was plenty of help available………at least there was plenty of people giving instructions……….

So, I headed on………I still needed to get back home. I caught up with gowinmt at the dirt road near Beaver Creek Lake. We traded leads a couple of times due to missed turns – I think we were having so much fun riding all these great roads and letting the big bikes run wild that we kept forgetting to look at the GPS thingy on the handlebars. Let me just tell you right now………..there weren’t many traffic laws that we didn’t break………we had gravel flying, dust blowing, tires smoking, pegs dragging, wheelies popping……….but we forgot to take any pictures. We caught up with some of southern Indiana crew at the RR tunnel west of Birdseye. I hope they stopped for pictures, cause we just kept on making dust. We stayed together all the way to Deer Creek and then to Tell City – gotta say it was a GREAT ride. I made it back to Evansville before supper. It was a great day!

Thanks again to all who worked so hard to put this together – I had a wonderful time, wish I coulda been with you on Sunday’s track…….I’ll go back and ride it when I can. Oh, one other picture to post………

Of all the GREAT machines that everyone brought on this ride, the one I wanted the most and the one that I was MOST thankful that I wasn’t riding…………some of you guys are just NUTS.
    [​IMG]
  6. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drove right by that store saturday around 1pm to pick up a new toy that hopefully I can fix. Looks like some good roads in the area from the path I took. I guess detours aren't always bad.
  7. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    sorry nick if you paid for all them... that blows. :deal
  8. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    and to my buddy jerry who laid the whole route out this year.. you did an awesome job my friend!!

:clap:clap:clap:clap
  9. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those stickers are old now. I'll give you a exp 2011 dunkin donuts gift card for a free dozen for 1 hnf sticker. :lol3
  10. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me! Supporter

Oddometer:

ADVCoot was on the “I’ll be there” list. I’ll have to pop for two stickers; send me a PM and I’ll send the funds to you.

Sorry I had to miss this ride and it looks like I’ll be missing the Loose Nut 2013 Ride as well.

[​IMG]

As some of you know, my low-speed crash while riding my NX250 @ The Pucky Huddle Ride resulted in four (4) broken ribs and some wounded confidence. I mean, what 65 year old seasoned rider crashes @ 15 mph on a downhill right-turn sweeper?

[​IMG]

I’ve sold my NX250 to a fellow ADVrider from Houston, TX; My Versys is my only ride; my doctor said no riding till after Christmas.

[​IMG]

So, with proper healing and down-to-earth luck, I’ll be riding again with you all in the Spring.

[​IMG]

I am in the market for a pre-owned TW200 (2007 or newer).
  11. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    i didn't take to many pics this weekend cuz i was riding with jerry... and he don't stop for shit! :lol3

but the couple i did..

my barn fri night..

[​IMG]

sunday morn was a bit chipper out.. hilljak's klr was blowin.. :vardy

[​IMG]

this was pretty cool stuff jerry spotted while layin out the route.. apparently way back when before the new (current) bridge, and old covered bridge was this bridge made with logs layed out in river a very long time ago.. with the low water level... the old logs are now visible.. just north of brownstown..

[​IMG]

and this, which shall forever be known as the hilljack mod..

[​IMG]

portable block heater. :deal :lol3 apparently his choke circuit does not work, but this contraption worked like a charm as it fired and fell into a smooth clean idle instantly on a 20 some degree morning!
  12. mellephants

mellephants loves dirtbikes

Oddometer:
    Well, after a series of adventures and amusing misadventures, Basil and I just got back to Urbana.

It sure did get cold again, but this fireplace and the last of the buffalo trace will make quick work of that.

Great to meet a lot of you. This was my first time, but will not be my last.
  13. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    Doctors don't know what they are talking about. If it moves your good to ride.
  14. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    I made it easier for Paul funding the upfront cost of the stickers. Also figured it a good way to meet everyone selling them. If anyone wants some still I can mail them or I'll bring some to loosenut and will of course have them at UNHNF.

Glad you made it back alright. You still win best drunk qoute "I rode a wheelie 16 miles." :rofl

You've discovered my weakness. :deal

Is it next weekend yet? Good thing I only work 2 days this week.
  15. mellephants

mellephants loves dirtbikes

Oddometer:
    I thought I said one mile... Either way I'll stand by it. You wanna race? Fight? Cuddle?
  16. Loose Nut

Loose Nut wannabe Super Supporter

Oddometer:

We'll miss you on the Loose Nut ride too...........Hope you heal quickly and we see you soon!
  17. TooSlow4U

TooSlow4U 2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer:
    As usual, I had my camera with me the whole ride but rarely remembered to take pics. We took a quick break on Beaver Creek Rd. once to check closely in the path for tire tracks. Sure enough, someone was ahead of us. We never did catch 'em though. Whoever it was musta been hoof'n it right along, as we were letting no grass grow under our tires and still never caught 'em...:evil

Oh, while I'm thinking about it... Shortly after leaving the campground, we made a left turn (at one point) onto some freshly laid pure black blacktop. Instantly, there was an off camber right hand curve in the road with what appeared to be freshly ground footpeg and/or handlebar marks in the road. Did one of our ADV brethren get it down right there by chance??

Also, I shoulda stopped for a photo op, but did anyone happen to notice the name of one of the roads on the route called "Bearded Clam Rd."?? LOL I hope someone got a picture of that. I had a good laugh at that for miles.

Anywhoooo.... here's the few pics that I managed to snap.

Breakfast @ Indy's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gathering out front as folks start to trickle in from all directions...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dunno who was riding this bike, but I love this sticker! Awesome :rofl
    [​IMG]

A quick stop on Beaver Creek Rd to scout for previous rider's tire tracks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought these really cool cabins were an awesome idea & fun place to stay...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocky Point Marina (where we filled our bellies)...
    [​IMG]

Back at camp...Most likely listening to Anthony telling a good joke...
    [​IMG]

The morning after. Here, I think that oPAULo was trying to describe the problems they had in thier cabin and how they struggled to keep the place 75 degrees all night...Meanwhile, the tent campin' folks braved it out in 30 degree temperatures...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this picture is self explanatory. Bones just "loves" his XRR. I'm guessin' that exhaust outlet was looking mighty sexy in the morning maybe? :lol3
    [​IMG]

Again, what an awesome ride/time. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend at the LooseNut ride too! :D
  18. bgindy

bgindy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to those who put together this ride - I had a great time. Thanks to Greg, John, Anthony and Ian for letting me tag along. Sorry I didn't get to stay overnight, had to slab it back to Indy for dinner plans.
  19. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Man, what a great weekend! Jerry, you really hit it out of the park with the route on both days. The mini Tail of the Dragon we road on Sunday was just crazy followed by a good creek crossing, ATV path, and high speed gravel straights. It just doesn’t get a whole lot better than that.
    I didn’t take a whole bunch of pictures but I had to snap a few shots when we stopped by the bird house guys house.
    What do I mean by bird house guy? Check out these pictures. It was surreal to say the least.
    [​IMG]
    this was a small portion of his back yard "display"
    [​IMG]
    the man himself
    [​IMG]
    I was lucky enough to be riding with some guys from Indy (no idea of their names) that knew the area we were going through and lead us right off of the route about a 1/8 mile to see this guys place. It was around the West Boggs area. The guy seems to love visitors so if you go back through the route looking for this guys place be sure ans say hey.
    Other than that here is my boring camp setup picture
    [​IMG]
    It was a great time hanging with everyone and I hope to see everyone for the Loose Nut next week!
  20. Justarida

Justarida Genius At Large

Oddometer:
    OK so one minute I'm rollin 50mph down some loose ass gravel in a clouded haze of white limestone dust that would make Jimmy Hendrix jealous and the next thing I know I'm surrounded by Butterflies, Angels and pretty little painted Birdhouses.
    Dude now that's the ADV ride I signed on for.
    Cant wait till next year!!:clap [​IMG]