2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Alright man, I gave up, we'll just have to disagree.

Spoke to the local Husky dealer today, he said there won't be any test rides this year. Still looking forward to seeing if the new 644 is finally a (somewhat) fun engine that can even come close to the 690.
  2. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have to agree with Lukas on this one. If I compare the tank full of my DR and another's KLR the KLR loses even more, but the first thing I do is put an IMS 4.9 tank on the DR. I want a real comparison not one that is skewed by personal taste for a stock tank or an aftermarket tank. I can deduce the difference from there.
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kinda hard to imagine it having anything like the same performance as a 690 when it is pushing close to 100 extra pounds. I think this bike is about hitting a price point not performance.
  4. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    Exactly, it it was aimed at the KLR, not the 690. Low bux upside down forks, rebound only shock. That's KLR material, probably a bit better because it's more modern, but nowhere near the 690.
  5. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:

I fill up my GSA half way all the time if I am going to be riding it where it shouldnt be ridden and I dont need the range.. but I have only been riding for 20 years so I guess I am just too boot to realize I have been doing it wrong :huh

I know you think you are making a logical point, but really all you did is make yourself look like an ass.. IMHO your leap to tires and sprockets is just a ridiculous attempt at extrapolating a valid argument into the inane. That is poor form and smacks of lazy thinking and probably belongs down in Jo Mamma.
  6. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Yet another's OPINION heard :rolleyes

If your wonderbike comes with a super-duper extra range tank, it should be weighed with a full tank.
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about if I carry luggage? should that be weighed too. I am with Lucas on this. In a perfect world, ready to ride without gas. Full tank?, at least tell us how many gallons, I can do the math.
  8. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Your wasting your time guys. They'll never get it. Why anyone would weigh a bike with fuel and then use that weight, as a comparison to another bike, is just crazy. Especially, when the bikes have different fuel capacities. How could you know what the true weght is? Every bike needs fuel, no doubt but the fuel load is not relevant as it can be changed. If my bike carries extra fuel in separate tanks, should that be counted in the true weight of the bike? No! I just want to know what the BIKE weighs. I already know what fuel weighs.

I agree with Lukas assessment of wet weight, dry tank. That levels the field and takes the fuel load out of the equation.
  9. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Maybe this will settle the arguement. Wet weight with 1 gal of fuel. The bike will run with one gallon of fuel and every tank holds at least that amount. Level the field, so that everyone can agree. Whether or not they will is a different matter. That means the new TR650 weighs around 380lbs ready to ride. I'll take that, and I'll have mine down to 350lbs ready to ride in no time.
  10. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's like so many when asked about gas mileage answering that they get 200 miles a tank? Duh!
  11. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you guys are missing the mark all around on the weight as I blogged on the Guzzi site.

After 350 lbs its not relevant as to the absolute weight. Very few of us can dead lift much more than that off the ground. Much less if my Dakar falls down slope...then I need a helicopter and three friends to get it back up.

No, what matters is where and how it carries that weight. If well balanced and low down all the better. A ride is dependent on more important things like can my feet touch the ground solidly, balance, tires, etc.

That being said a rig with too small a tank to save weight has issues in Adventure riding. A rig with a montrous fuel supply high up has issues in Adventure riding. So its where the weight is, how it is balanced, etc.

Any of these rigs in sand, mud, etc is a pig...they just are.

But I do think nearly all these bikes need a lower first gear where the speed at 3-5 mph allows the engine to idle easily. I think that would help.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you think an X-Challenge "really" weighs?

The only "real" weight I have ever seen was 365# and that was one with a Ti exhaust.

BMW's claimed 318 dry was fictitious at best.
  13. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong, but in the UK the Terra is cheaper than a G650GS, and £1200 cheaper than a 690. That would swing it, for me, because for the price difference you could fully farkle it and go riding for a week.
  14. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    With 58hp, the Terra will have all the performance that I need. If my KLR would have had that much hp, or the possibility of that much hp, I would not have gotten rid of it.

The $6999 price is the most attractive selling point of this bike. I'd say the Rotax 650 engine would be a close second. I don't really care that it's made in Taiwan. I've got to have one.
  15. Rattletrap

Rattletrap When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer:
    Power-up kit, Leo Vince exhaust, JD Tuner, I see a 65 hp pig. But, I've been known to ride one now and again.:lol3
  16. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    I've seen tiny little 100lb girls pick up Harley Ultra Glides. You're right though, the weight over 350lbs isn't revelant but how you manage it is. Myself, I only ride dualsports now and want my bike as low on weight as I can get it. The weight is being made a big deal and maybe it shouldn't be, but I know what happens to my bikes. I add: heated grips, handguards, new windscreens, rear racks, Pelican hardbags, and drybags to haul even more gear. Getting the weight down makes hauling the rest of my stuff possible. 350lbs does seem to be the magic number.
  17. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
    :deal

So true. This is what Husky/BMW is banking on, and why I will be buying one as well.
  18. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It gets confusing on who makes these engines. For a short while prior to 2007 the engine was made by Kymco in Taiwan. In 2009 Engine parts for the G650 were made by Rotax in Austria shipped to Loncin in China for assembly and sent back.

These engines are being manufactured by Loncin. The engine is no longer listed as a Rotax product (type 654).

It is a huge company that builds millions of Motorcycles for its domestic market. If that is a concern, Kawasaki has recently signed a contract of some sort with them involving their higher end bikes.
  19. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I think it's a close enough # to compare ready to ride weights with 1 gallon of fuel. However as I am a geek and love numbers, I sometimes will factor in the weight to go a certain distance to be more accurate.

For instance in comparing the weight of my KTM 690 to a XR650R, the weights are pretty similar thought the XR is definately lighter. However in my mind, those numbers get even closer when you figure how much they both weigh ready to ride 100 miles fairly hard. That means adding 3 gallons of fuel to the 690 and 6.5 gallons to the XRR (if you've got the tank for it!). At that point, the weights are really close but the XRR still is lighter. However as the 690 carries the fuel lower, it makes them really similar. And when I'm thinking about those weightsI'm not forgetting the XRR doesn't have e start.
    Point is I personally like lot's of accurate info. My pet peave is extremely nebulous #'s such as KTM's "ready to race weight." What the heck is that? I certainly can't figure out how to get my 690 down to the 305lb ready to race weight. Do they race without fuel, oil, batteries and coolant? My opinion is they exaggerate (or minimize as the case may be)the #'s and then give a subjective term such as "ready to race weight" so no one can call them on it!

Oh and I'm with Lukas on intentionally not filling up if I know I don't need the range and will be doing technical riding. Also I'll throw in there I don't fill up all the way when I spend too much money on farkles (kawasaki) or repairs (KTM) and don't have enough in my piggy bank. :lol3
  20. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I didn't even call anybody names, you did...take it somewhere else. :thumb

Maybe we live in two different worlds and you like to hang out at the gas station?

This isn't a single track bike and if I owned one I would never put half a tank of gas in it, just like a KLR, I want to know what these bikes really weigh.

Now, onto the 58 hp single...is that at the wheel, because that sounds awfully optimistic. :wink: