2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, true in theory, but the KTM service manuals contain renderable text which is not searchable without doing some processing and OCR work first. I used Acrobat X to convert the 301 pages of the 2014 Adventure R 1190 EU manual to TIFF's, then re-imported all the individual TIFF pages and joined them up again, then used OCR to make a searchable PDF. Here's the link to the searchable document I generated:

2014 Adventure R 1190 EU service manual - Searchable

It took over 2 hours to generate the searchable version for my 'bike. Hopefully other inmates with Adobe X will produce the other versions if they are needed.
  2. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my 1190 in for the airbox and side stand again...on the way the MTC AND ABS fail...just great. KTM fitting the DNA filter which the dealer says does not work but they have to do it...they prefer the uni filter but ktm don't cover for it...:huh

I fugging fed up with KTM and this shyte....the crap just never ends...what is next...engine failure like so many

KTM AUSTRIA IS UTTERLY USELESS!!
  3. breakfastbuddy

breakfastbuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a 2013 R and i like the bike , but the side stand is a joke or a tradgedy , i had my R on the first service , the 7 mai , oil change and i had the recals change like new wires to the battery , spring on the sidestand , and fixed a leak on the radiator , + udate on the brain and MTC update , the brain update didnt work out , some wrong codes, and at the end they tested the bike and i was ready to go , but when i got the bike the speedometer didnt work , and that was to much for me so i complaint , and i had to borrow the demo bike , its a Orange 2013 std,
    i got home and found out that the oil was low , it smelled oil also , so i filed up with 0,5 litre oil , nextweek i was going back again , a 3 hour drive one way , but the evening before i was going to wash the demo bike , and the 2013 side stand and rain in the ground had something to do with the falling of the bike , the windscreen got scratched , well i was going back to the dealer , and he had my bike updated now , and he had changed the radiator , but i told him about the accident , the scratched wind screen , i told him taht he could have my short windscreen , so he did , and i bought a touring ktm windscreen for 200$ , the sidestand of the 2013 is a joke , and i will tell this story to you all so you can learn from my mistakes , i like the bike but are not happy with the Ktm follow up , the airbox issue is something i have to deal with myself , when i go to Germany ( from Norway) i will by the unifilter myself , i took a peak at the bike when they was changing the 2013 filter to the 2014 filter and it was no dust in there , but i had only been driving in nearly dustfree zones ,
  4. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    have you tried searching text?

edit: sorry, replied before seeing the other post :-) thanks RobZorba
  5. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    It doesn't work indeed, which is strange as their user manuals *are* searchable.
  6. AudreyHorne

AudreyHorne n00b

Oddometer:
  7. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!
  8. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello

FRAT WARNING !

I just got back home from a full day riding ( 780 km ) took a ride down to the dealer for the 1000km service. First of I'm really happy about the performance of the bike.

However , when i first checked it out i specifically asked for the price of the services and the intervals and i got no clear answers just some mumbling about the first being 1000km and then 25000km. Later over phone he basically promised me a fixed amount of 100-150 euros ( i expected the first service on the house , but they got to make their living somehow too... ) and when the bike was finished the bill was close to 300 euros.

The whole time they worked on the bike i was around. The showroom and workshop has an opening so i just walked around and assembled the locks for the ktm cases i also bought. The only thing i saw them do to the bike was an oil change and hocked it up to the pc and cleared the service warning. I even assisted in the oil change since they had no clue how much oil to put in it , they thought they had the right amount but no oil was showing in the inspection window.

This is what i recognized once back home [​IMG]

Well well , its a dry sump so it might not matter ?

And a quick review of my new cases

[​IMG]

Are they worth the money ?

Absolutely not if you paid the full price.

A big plus for the looks and the functionality as long as you stay on the roads cause there is no way in hell these will hold up to any form of abuse.

Sorry for the negativity but I'm tired and my ass hurts ;)
  9. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Australia each bag costs $730 each, what a joke and a total waste of money.. I have a 40 litre motodry bag for $120 that i use for o/night trips and it does the job...:D
  10. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was one of the first in SA to order the FULL luggage set in 2013 and hell was it an issue, needless to say from AUSTRIA the rear box brand new was missing internally the locking clip so back to AUSTRIA. Then after I set the locks to my key I found my key is to short, the keys work but they jam in the lock as the rear rubber part jams into the recessed slot, KTM again must have thought no one will buy their luggage.A YEAR later after much comms, KTM 'FORGOT' to send me updated keys, it's being done this weekend.

We used the luggage our last tour and found they work very well with the internal bags....everything remained dry and clean.They do move ALOT so I would NEVER use this luggage on dirt roads, definitely not designed for it, rather buy the full steel luggage with proper frame work.
  11. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok after yesterdays miseries and some googling I'll have to admit i was wrong about the oil over fill , it is indeed a pain in the ass to fill a dry sump and i read the scale to quick after the ride. You apparently and obviously have to wait for the oil to cool down before you check it.[​IMG]
    This is the reading cold.

Today i took the boxes for a shake test on some gravel roads ( 100 km ) and this is the result [​IMG]

Absolutely clean , i live in Sweden so its incomparable with the conditions you guys down under have.

Also made a moisture test or how u describe it , cleaned one box internally yesterday. I bought a six pack of beer and some food on my way home and the exhaust side box fitted the six pack like a glove. Only problem was , either one can cracked due to heat , vibrations or being faulted from the beginning. This is what it looks like after 24h and 200km of riding. My estimate is that it gets around 40-50 degrees in there.[​IMG]

Some water is spotted so the seals gets a thumbs up.
  12. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since my dog isn't too happy me being away all day and my gf is on holiday i got some time on my hand today. A luggage rack is in the making.[​IMG]
    Made a template out of cart board and fine tuned it with tape then it was a lot of measuring before i transferred it to a 3mm aluminum sheet. 5mm was my first choice but i ended up going with 3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what it look likes so far. If any one wants a template or measurements just let me know and i will help you the best i can.
  13. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn...your oil looks so clean, mine is black after 4000km and below mid.
  14. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its the km:s i only have 14000km , mine will turn black to.
  15. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops not 14000

1400!
    Or 896 miles :)
  16. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected but the 1190 takes 4 litres of oil..:D
  17. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change it. Mine went black around 7000... so in with the new stuff. Im not waiting until 15000.

I heard on the grape vine that bike (and all vehicle) manufacturers are increasing the service intervals simply to increase the "green" credentials... ie less emissions over the life of the bike. True? Im not sure, but it wouldnt surprise me. Modern oil is good, but Im not sure its good enough for 15 thou in a high performance motor.
  18. Audun

Audun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly from the KTM manual you read it at operating temperature (warm), but not right after stopping (wait one minute). With the amount you got in your bike cold, check the manual.

Audun
  19. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Did so and its fine now
  20. Ktm530

Ktm530 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Great weather today !

I might be doing this wrong , posting here like its a personal blog ?

Maybe i should start my own thread and not clutter this place with trip reports which is pretty unrelated to the subject. Well to my defense I'm new to this forum and the activity is pretty low.

Mounted my go pro and remote and ordered a zumo 590 , going for a ride as soon as the dog is done shitting.