2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    You fitted the Uni-Filter yet...:evil
  2. Tails_KTM

Tails_KTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to respond a little late. I am running the stock 2013 airbox/filter. Don't think there are recalls on that. And I have no issues, the KTM is running great.
    Then again this is Holland and we really don't have dirt roads (unless you drive half way across the country for 2 km of sand road that you can drop you expensive bike on). So, no dusty conditions for me.
  3. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:

I was under the impression that GLOBALLY the 2013 had a recall for air filtration problems, no matter where you live, we in Africa for sure see a lot more "dirt" than you but none the less there is a design issue...I know guys are getting water into the airbox, wets the paper filter then when it drys out they complaining about distorted filters which allows more dust in, so I am told by other 1190 owners, mine has already had the DNA filter done...not happy but so be it.
  4. CanningOz

CanningOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had an update on when KTM will have the promised MSC upgrade ready for the 2013 Adv R? Nothing but silence on this issue here in Australia, and I would like to upgrade.
  5. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that we learn more on the forums than at the dealers about these sorts of things..

Was it you who had your adv r at peter stevens with the surging issue? ...

I have a problem when the fuel gauge reads about half, the engine will surge under hard acceleration at about 6k rpm..

Now this morning after a full tank of gas yesterday, it wont idle properly... i usually let it idle and warm up to 2 bar's before riding it but not the case this time.. it kept stalling, even was stalling at around 3000 rpm at the lights..

quite annoying, almost like a blocked fuel filter..
  6. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi speed_racer,

The problem is probably caused by a faulty fuel filler on 2013 'bikes. There is a "missing" vent hole and pressure develops in the tank causing fuel surges etc. The problem gets worse when the fuel tank is warm / hot and less than half full, allowing fuel vapor build up and excess tank pressure. The fault is confirmed if you open the fuel filler and there is a woosh of petrol vapor escaping, throwing the filler cap open.

There is a warranty service notice in some countries to change these faulty fuel fillers for the modified fuel filler that is now fitted to 2014 'bikes. IMHO this should be a general recall because of safety issue due to fire / explosion risk. There is probably a vehicle standards body in your country you should report this to, and they will give the importer a real rollicking for not issuing a general recall.

Hope this helps you. IMHO, your dealer is providing crap warranty service and needs to be given a good hiding. The dealer may argue that he has not been informed about warranty service notice(s) by the national importer. If that is the case, then the dealer needs to give the national importer a good hiding as well. KTM Austria are also at fault, for not publishing the set of warranty service notices on the web site for owners and dealers to check. For 2013 'bikes there have been many warranty service notices issued in a very haphazard way, covering:

Replacement side stand
    Replacement steering damper bushes
    Fuel filler assembly
    Replacement oil hoses
    Replacement battery & starter motor cables
    Software update(s) to ECU
    Software update(s) to ABS
    Replacement fuel pump
    Replacement battery
    Replacement air box and filter​

This is not an exhaustive list, just the things I noticed that have been reported by owners as "warranty service" items over the last year.
  7. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

HI Robzorba,

Thansk for that. i have emailed my dealer to see if there is any other warranty issues as the one in the city are too big to care.. I'll see how I go. I got the air filter replacement, software updates (I still don't know why they just don't supply a cable and a website to flash your own updates, it would be heaps easier)

I think the replacement battery and fuel pump/vent hose are in order on mine.. Id hate to be stuck somewhere with the thing being a sh*t..
  8. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear in OZ they fitting the Uni-Filter not the DNA:topes.

They have now replaced the ENTIRE sidestand, first the spring then the shaft now the consul...so the entire unit is redone.

My battery just went after 12months so they just replaced that, the power cables are on the early 2014 models only KTM tell me.

...etc....

So yes, go in, pull your VIN and check the history and it will list all the recalls, it should be nice and long if not, tell your dealer to pull finger.
  9. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have anyone already fitted SW-Motech crashbars on 1190?
    I'm thinking of giving it a shot and in case it's good add it to our parts catalogue :deal
    What you guys think of it?
    [​IMG]
    Looks like it protects expensive plastic quite well and it's not too bulky or doesn't cost a fortune...
  11. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the bar bolted to the front cylinder?
  12. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
  13. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my 996SPS they fitted a rod THROUGH the motor with bobbins on each end so that in the event of a crash stress is not placed on a specific engine point as you likely to crack the cylinder.

JUST received my bike back from KTM, I see ktm place the mounting over 3 points under the cylinder.

Saying that SW seem to make some nice kit.
  14. iasudoru

iasudoru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same problem for some rider here in Italy.
    Problems at about 6000 RPM.
    It seems that KTM has come a batch of defective tanks, with manufacturing residue inside them.
    It was solved by changing the fuel tank and the fuel pump under warranty.
    Third to last post: http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=29634
    <textarea style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"></textarea><select><option value="af">Afrikaans</option><option value="sq">Albanian</option><option value="ar">Arabic</option><option value="hy">Armenian</option><option value="az">Azerbaijani</option><option value="eu">Basque</option><option value="be">Belarusian</option><option value="bg">Bulgarian</option><option value="ca">Catalan</option><option value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)</option><option value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)</option><option value="hr">Croatian</option><option value="cs">Czech</option><option value="da">Danish</option><option value="auto" selected="selected">Detect language</option><option value="nl">Dutch</option><option value="en">English</option><option value="et">Estonian</option><option value="tl">Filipino</option><option value="fi">Finnish</option><option value="fr">French</option><option value="gl">Galician</option><option value="ka">Georgian</option><option value="de">German</option><option value="el">Greek</option><option value="ht">Haitian Creole</option><option value="iw">Hebrew</option><option value="hi">Hindi</option><option value="hu">Hungarian</option><option value="is">Icelandic</option><option value="id">Indonesian</option><option value="ga">Irish</option><option value="it">Italian</option><option value="ja">Japanese</option><option value="ko">Korean</option><option value="la">Latin</option><option value="lv">Latvian</option><option value="lt">Lithuanian</option><option value="mk">Macedonian</option><option value="ms">Malay</option><option value="mt">Maltese</option><option value="no">Norwegian</option><option value="fa">Persian</option><option value="pl">Polish</option><option value="pt">Portuguese</option><option value="ro">Romanian</option><option value="ru">Russian</option><option value="sr">Serbian</option><option value="sk">Slovak</option><option value="sl">Slovenian</option><option value="es">Spanish</option><option value="sw">Swahili</option><option value="sv">Swedish</option><option value="th">Thai</option><option value="tr">Turkish</option><option value="uk">Ukrainian</option><option value="ur">Urdu</option><option value="vi">Vietnamese</option><option value="cy">Welsh</option><option value="yi">Yiddish</option></select>&#8644;<select><option value="af">Afrikaans</option><option value="sq">Albanian</option><option value="ar">Arabic</option><option value="hy">Armenian</option><option value="az">Azerbaijani</option><option value="eu">Basque</option><option value="be">Belarusian</option><option value="bg">Bulgarian</option><option value="ca">Catalan</option><option value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)</option><option value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)</option><option value="hr">Croatian</option><option value="cs">Czech</option><option value="da">Danish</option><option value="nl">Dutch</option><option value="en">English</option><option value="et">Estonian</option><option value="tl">Filipino</option><option value="fi">Finnish</option><option value="fr">French</option><option value="gl">Galician</option><option value="ka">Georgian</option><option value="de">German</option><option value="el">Greek</option><option value="ht">Haitian Creole</option><option value="iw">Hebrew</option><option value="hi">Hindi</option><option value="hu">Hungarian</option><option value="is">Icelandic</option><option value="id">Indonesian</option><option value="ga">Irish</option><option value="it" selected="selected">Italian</option><option value="ja">Japanese</option><option value="ko">Korean</option><option value="la">Latin</option><option value="lv">Latvian</option><option value="lt">Lithuanian</option><option value="mk">Macedonian</option><option value="ms">Malay</option><option value="mt">Maltese</option><option value="no">Norwegian</option><option value="fa">Persian</option><option value="pl">Polish</option><option value="pt">Portuguese</option><option value="ro">Romanian</option><option value="ru">Russian</option><option value="sr">Serbian</option><option value="sk">Slovak</option><option value="sl">Slovenian</option><option value="es">Spanish</option><option value="sw">Swahili</option><option value="sv">Swedish</option><option value="th">Thai</option><option value="tr">Turkish</option><option value="uk">Ukrainian</option><option value="ur">Urdu</option><option value="vi">Vietnamese</option><option value="cy">Welsh</option><option value="yi">Yiddish</option></select>
    English (auto-detected) » Italian​

15. iasudoru

iasudoru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same problem for some rider here in Italy.
    Problems of power-loss at about 6000 RPM.
    It seems that KTM has come a batch of defective tanks, with manufacturing residue inside them.
    It was solved by changing the fuel tank and the fuel pump under warranty.
    Third to last post: http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=29634
    <textarea style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"></textarea><select><option value="af">Afrikaans</option><option value="sq">Albanian</option><option value="ar">Arabic</option><option value="hy">Armenian</option><option value="az">Azerbaijani</option><option value="eu">Basque</option><option value="be">Belarusian</option><option value="bg">Bulgarian</option><option value="ca">Catalan</option><option value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)</option><option value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)</option><option value="hr">Croatian</option><option value="cs">Czech</option><option value="da">Danish</option><option value="auto" selected="selected">Detect language</option><option value="nl">Dutch</option><option value="en">English</option><option value="et">Estonian</option><option value="tl">Filipino</option><option value="fi">Finnish</option><option value="fr">French</option><option value="gl">Galician</option><option value="ka">Georgian</option><option value="de">German</option><option value="el">Greek</option><option value="ht">Haitian Creole</option><option value="iw">Hebrew</option><option value="hi">Hindi</option><option value="hu">Hungarian</option><option value="is">Icelandic</option><option value="id">Indonesian</option><option value="ga">Irish</option><option value="it">Italian</option><option value="ja">Japanese</option><option value="ko">Korean</option><option value="la">Latin</option><option value="lv">Latvian</option><option value="lt">Lithuanian</option><option value="mk">Macedonian</option><option value="ms">Malay</option><option value="mt">Maltese</option><option value="no">Norwegian</option><option value="fa">Persian</option><option value="pl">Polish</option><option value="pt">Portuguese</option><option value="ro">Romanian</option><option value="ru">Russian</option><option value="sr">Serbian</option><option value="sk">Slovak</option><option value="sl">Slovenian</option><option value="es">Spanish</option><option value="sw">Swahili</option><option value="sv">Swedish</option><option value="th">Thai</option><option value="tr">Turkish</option><option value="uk">Ukrainian</option><option value="ur">Urdu</option><option value="vi">Vietnamese</option><option value="cy">Welsh</option><option value="yi">Yiddish</option></select>&#8644;<select><option value="af">Afrikaans</option><option value="sq">Albanian</option><option value="ar">Arabic</option><option value="hy">Armenian</option><option value="az">Azerbaijani</option><option value="eu">Basque</option><option value="be">Belarusian</option><option value="bg">Bulgarian</option><option value="ca">Catalan</option><option value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)</option><option value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)</option><option value="hr">Croatian</option><option value="cs">Czech</option><option value="da">Danish</option><option value="nl">Dutch</option><option value="en">English</option><option value="et">Estonian</option><option value="tl">Filipino</option><option value="fi">Finnish</option><option value="fr">French</option><option value="gl">Galician</option><option value="ka">Georgian</option><option value="de">German</option><option value="el">Greek</option><option value="ht">Haitian Creole</option><option value="iw">Hebrew</option><option value="hi">Hindi</option><option value="hu">Hungarian</option><option value="is">Icelandic</option><option value="id">Indonesian</option><option value="ga">Irish</option><option value="it" selected="selected">Italian</option><option value="ja">Japanese</option><option value="ko">Korean</option><option value="la">Latin</option><option value="lv">Latvian</option><option value="lt">Lithuanian</option><option value="mk">Macedonian</option><option value="ms">Malay</option><option value="mt">Maltese</option><option value="no">Norwegian</option><option value="fa">Persian</option><option value="pl">Polish</option><option value="pt">Portuguese</option><option value="ro">Romanian</option><option value="ru">Russian</option><option value="sr">Serbian</option><option value="sk">Slovak</option><option value="sl">Slovenian</option><option value="es">Spanish</option><option value="sw">Swahili</option><option value="sv">Swedish</option><option value="th">Thai</option><option value="tr">Turkish</option><option value="uk">Ukrainian</option><option value="ur">Urdu</option><option value="vi">Vietnamese</option><option value="cy">Welsh</option><option value="yi">Yiddish</option></select>

16. affliction

affliction n00b

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/n...s/2014/june/updated-ktm-1190-adventure-spied/

KTM is set to change its 1190 Adventure model to more directly tackle the class-dominating BMW R1200GS, as these new spy shots reveal. The bike is still relatively new, having been launched at the start of 2013, and we would normally expect it to last three years before an update.

But these pictures show a host of mid-life updates aimed at separating the KTM 1190 Adventure from the more dirt-orientated Adventure R and help take on the all-conquering BMW GS range more effectively.

The spy shots were grabbed last week at the KTM factory in &#8232;Mattighofen, Austria. A pair of different bikes were spotted, with each showing a completely revised fuel tank, front fairing, side panels, crash bars and what appears to be a wider windscreen.

There is no formal word from KTM about these modifications to the 1190 Adventure model, or whether the changes will be for 2015 or 2016.

KTM’s range currently comprises the standard 1190 Adventure and the more off-road-focused 1190 R, which has a 21in front wheel rather than the standard bike’s 19in front.

The standard bike is very sporty when seen in the context of many rivals in the adventure bike class.

Its combination of a 150bhp V-twin engine and the 19in front wheel allows it to compete for sales with the likes of the Ducati Multistrada 1200 and Aprilia Caponord 1200 rather than directly competing against the more travel-orientated BMW R1200GS.

The changes to this new bike clearly show KTM is at least thinking about realigning the standard bike into more of a touring role to match up to the GS.

The larger fuel tank over the current 23-litre tank will deliver a significant boost to the fuel range, which has been a source of criticism for a bike that's otherwise extremely popular with owners.

The fuel range is less than 200 miles, which is enough for most people, but doesn't sit well when you compare it to the 30-litre fuel tank on the BMW R1200GS Adventure model.

Another possibility is that this bike will be an additional model in the 1190 range. KTM has recent history of adding ‘Touring’ models to existing ranges. The 990 SMT is an example of this, with a bigger fairing and screen added to the same basic bike underneath.
  17. Davy F

Davy F Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer:
    So basically there should be the 1190 Adventure, 1190 Adventure R and 1190 Adventure T. :freaky
  18. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    I'd go for a 'Travel' so long as that meant I could travel in the dirt. ;)
  19. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    I've just mounted new set of tires to go on Stella Alpina annual rally in Italian Alps next month. Decided to go TKC-80 on the front and Karoo 3 on the rear. Just rode for about 10 minutes in the city and now after few hours parked outside I've noticed that the rear tire lost around 0,5 bars (2,6 bars now). Never had issues like that on tubeless tires and frankly speaking I'm not that tubeless kind of guy and don't know what to start from...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you may have a pin hole in the rubber strip over the spokes. This happened to someone else I know.
    I personally like the tubeless setup. I've already plugged the rear tire on my bike 3 times with good luck.