2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    I just don't understand. KTM is coming out with an all new motor, completely redesigned body and still it looks like the bike will have to be taken apart to change the oil. Why can't they design a bad ass light weight do everything bike with a spin off oil filter and an easy access drain tank ? ? ? I'd rather be riding my bike than spending 2 to 3 hours just to change the freaking oil. If it had a easy access spin off oil filter and drain. Then it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do the regular oil changes.
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    It takes you 2/3 hours to change the oil on your 9x0? Really?
  3. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    and with the quick drain fitting on the oil tank and you can leave the tanks on. So i guess with that kind of power the 21" wheel is no longer
  4. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    crazybrit, don't you know a troll when you see one ?
  5. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    REALLY ? ? ? :rofl With 1600 posts and still a troll. Been riding for 35 years and still considered a troll....ya got to love it. :lol3 When a company such a KTM, who is no longer a newby in the motorcycle business, redesigns a motor and new body style and one of the complaints with KTM is the oil change and disassembly of the bike to get to the screens and filter, you would think the company would listen to the current owners and future buyers of the bike and make it easier for the customer to do their regular maintenance, without have to modify it with aftermarket parts. Just my 2 cents, but what do I know, I'm just a troll ! ! ! :1drink
  6. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    The problem is they probably will listen to the majority of voices and make a bike that will be nice to ride to Starbucks. I want a big bike that kicks ass of road and don't give a rats ass how I have to go about changing the oil.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
  7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    You can tell that from a couple of spy pics? :clap
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  10. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  11. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with bigdave-gs,

KTM and their bikes are very good but not perfect and how come that every bit of criticism in this subforum is declared as being a troll? I love the bikes that KTM makes, but as a motorcycle manufacturer they score bad points when it comes to listening to their customers and improving the things the customers indicate. Things like side stand mount, fuel pump, water pump, clutch slave, oil change and air filter change without tank removal should be improved during the years.

Will this keep me from buying their bikes: no, the bikes are too good for that :D
    But it will without a doubt bring the bikes to a higher level of quality and would make them truly awesome and reliable.
  12. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the side stand. I'm fixing to buy a 990 Adventure R and sell my old 04 BMW R1150 GS Adventure, but have been hesitant because of complaints about maintance, FI issues, fuel milage, side stand issues, ect here on Orange Crush. My knees are getting to where my BMW's weight kills my knees when I ride it off road, so I'm looking at the 990 for a lighter bike. My Beemer weighs 600+ lbs and the 990 Adv R weighs less than 500 lbs. Plus I like the 21" front wheel over the BMW's 19". I just wish it held more gas, I will miss my 7.8 gallons.
  13. superpimp

superpimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow she not really nice looking design wise in my opinion.
    But that's a personal thing i guest.She doesn't have that dirtbike essence to her like the old adv had.
  14. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any more news on this? Would be interesting to see some more info
  15. AlphaDogDaddy

AlphaDogDaddy AlphaDogDaddy

Oddometer:
    I agree. Like it or not, the current style is far more distinctive than all of the other "Adventure" bikes.
  16. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    There may be two versions. There was mention of a 1290 Adventure and a 1090 Adventure R on the USA dealer powerpoint (see post 39). For the 690 the R designation indicated the more offroad version (versus the original 690e).

Maybe the 1290 will be more street oriented to compete with the Super Tenere (with appropriately sized wheels) and they will retain a dirt version which keeps the 21/18.

Anyways, it's all a guess.
  17. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Show me one manufacturer who is any different? :ear
  18. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Victory Motorcycles ! ! ! A smaller company than KTM but they listen to their customers, even had a Q & A open house a few years back to see what the customer market was looking for in a big cruiser. Why can't KTM, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki....ect, for the Adv market do that? ? ? If your going to go to all the trouble to design and manufacture a new bike for the fast growing ADV market, why not ask the future customer base what they are looking for in an ADV motorcyle ? I know you can't please all the people out there, but I bet they could learn a few thing from guys and gals that ride these beasts.
  19. Nomadix

Nomadix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Standing directly above the centre of the Earth
    That's because it isn't intended to be a dirt bike. Who in their right minds would try to design a dirt-bike that is bigger and heavier than a 990? This bike will be a dirt tourer at best - along the same lines as the Ducati Multistrada.

KTM have a responsibility to their shareholders, and are currently designing bikes for the market rather than for purpose. And the market sector that will be interested in this bike, is the same market sector that has no interest in doing oil-changes at home, let alone under a baobab tree in Malawi. The service agents will enjoy charging extra for the time it takes to strip the thing for maintenance.

Hang on to your 990. It doesn't look like there'll be a viable successor any time soon.
  20. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're waiting for the KTM truck to pull up outside your Starbucks and start soliciting opinions your probably going to have a wicked buzz :bmwrider

I'd like to know who's opinion Victory consulted on this, maybe they need to stop visiting the blind home :lol3 but I bet it has an easy oil change.

[​IMG]