2013 Yamaha Zuma 125 whale tail replacement?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by longhaul747, Oct 11, 2019.

1. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am weird but I actually like the whale tail and its a real savior in the rain!

Unfortunately I was not paying attention and it got a little close to the garage door and snagged the original whale tail and it cracked and shattered on the bottom. A replacement was not very expensive (about $20) and I went out to put it on. I thought maybe it would take about 15 minutes to a half hour but I really could not figure out how it was mounted? Instead of it being just a couple of bolts holding it on then moving all the lights and stuff over it quickly looked like this was going to be a project!

It looks like the 2 bolts holding it on also hold on the turn signals. Unfortunately the bolts are on the inside behind a mounting bracket and its berried. From the looks of it I will have to pull the pet carrier out and maybe remove the rear tail lights. Since it was getting dark already I decided to save it for another day but plan to tackle it this weekend.

I know plenty of people have removed it. Basically I am removing the old and replacement with a new piece. Many have done this the day they bought it so it can't that difficult. I just hate taking it half a part to replace a simple piece. Any tricks making this go quicker?

I tried the Zuma Forum but seems to be not working at the moment at least on my work computer.