2014-current Altrider skid plate for GSA $120 discount

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Xsv, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    looks like black only. GSA skid plate is the same as GS skid plate except it uses a different bracket. This skid plate will work on your GS if you purchase Gs mounts.
    $322.16 for this skid plate. Listing at altrider is $443.97

As typical with some of these great deals....it shows only one in stock. I have nothing to do with seller, etc....I simply like finding good deals!

https://www.amazon.com/AltRider-R11...f_rd_t=40701&refRID=E64MT0FP5B7XP9EN14TV&th=1
    AdamChandler and nobody0101 like this.
  2. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use camel camel to set a price watch. I got mine shipped/sold by Amazon for $260 (+tax) a few weeks ago. I wanted silver, but didn’t care about the color $200 worth. Also I confirmed with Altrider that even though these options have different PNs:

R1200GS LC with BMW crashbars
    R1200GSA LC

They are perfectly cross compatible. The mounting kit works fine for either bike.
  3. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    You might be mistaken on the mounting kit. Altrider has different part numbers for the GS and GSA.

http://www.altrider.com/en/product/detail/pid/1515
    http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cr...s-for-the-bmw-r-1200-gs-water-cooled/pid/1382
  4. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up in February through amazon for $219 plus tax. The prices fluctuations make no sense, but I am not complaining. If a guy is patient there are great deals out there.
  5. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    As I have the GS sku installed on my GSA, I promise you it works just fine. But I also emailed Altrider asking if there was a difference:

Hello Tremblay,

Thank you for the email. I am happy to tell you that you are not confused at all and have that completely correct. These 2 skid plate SKUs are exactly the same parts and are for using with the BMW crash bars, regardless of the model, so either one will work for you.

Thanks!

Venture on,
  6. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    The skid plates are the same. I am not refuting that. However the brackets show to Have different part numbers if purchased separately as is clearly evidenced by the links above. Clearly altrider should maybe update their website to reflect what you have learned to be true?

Either way I am glad to see another frugal Washingtonian!
    Tremblay likes this.
  7. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    The PID for the complete kits are different, which is why I emailed them. I’m not sure why they are different though it could be due to their website/inventory system.

Kits:

GSA R116-2-1204
    GS with BMW crash bars R116-2-1203

Are identical including mounting brackets, hardware, and instructions. Those PNs are for the black plate, but the same holds true for silver. The important part is buying the GS set for use with BMW crash bars. If you’re planning on mounting to a GSA. I expect the same holds true if either model has the Altrider bars as well. Though again that would be different from the PNs I listed above.

And crap, I live in King county (for now). Between the special levies, and property tax increases. Who doesn’t need to save a buck? Fucking Seattle crazies.
  8. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    Maybe the answer to the mounting brackets is one designed to be used with bmw bars and the other maybe not? I have altrider upper and lower crash bars married to their skid plate. I bet my mounting brackets are different than yours.
  9. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Exactly. From what I can gather there are two or three mount bracket designs. One for BMW bars, one for Altrider bars, and possibly a third for bikes without crash bars fitted.
  10. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    In the meantime....I see the price is now gone
    AdamChandler likes this.