2014 Dacre Challenge -Who's In so Far?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jbone11 11, Mar 11, 2014.

1. KLRARP

KLRARP Lookin for a way out

Oddometer:
    Any (un)official results posted somewhere?
  2. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jbone- make it to the end? Was it as hard you thought it would be?

Doc/seth - what happened to.you guys?

Big jugs?- was it what you expected?

My day ended 182 km in where I hit a.very large tree. Still don't know what really happened -if throttle stuck or I grabbed some brake but gas instead.
    Either way i.was out. I think the leatt.brace probably saved my life. When I went down I thought I had taken my last breath.
    Ended up riding to tekrider - and support driver took me to midden hospital . Team explore the Bruce probably lost 1/2hr - but the remaining two went on to.finish the entire route(19 hours) -awesome job guys!!!

I'm still stuck at st.mikes hospital in TO as I got.transferred to Lindsey hospital first for a CT scan as I was peeing blood. Not a pretty sight to see.
    Small lacerations in my.kidney.and.liver it appears and transferred to TO.
    Looks like I won't need surgery if blood doesn't return. Have to.at least see physio for leg before they will release me.
  4. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    ecarnell - We were very sorry to hear about your crash, but very happy to hear you are going to be alright. Here's tp a speedy recovery!

Great rally, very well organized. Rally Connex put a huge effort into making it feel quite special, a mix of 'your in the big times now baby' feeling with the initial reception, tech inspection and location of the start, to the down home community feeling throughout. A big round of applause to the entire RC Team.

The event from the riders POV, I don't think anyone thought it was a cake walk to include Chris Birch who thought is was a very long day indeed. We were pretty beat by the time we rolled in.

Team Ktonda took second place.....of the DNFs :lol3 (or was that third?) Don't recall but we were just a little short of finishing when we called it. About 600 km and 17hrs in we were looking at several more hours of riding the trails in the dark. Not one of us felt we hadn't gotten our monies worth and we were please with how we done as a team. Very likely we'll be back at the next event looking to place.

Hats off to everyone who rode and to their support teams if they had them, my wife and BCbenny's wife had a pretty hectic day themselves and are as much a part of the event as we were.
  5. GrahamM

GrahamM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yikes man. Hope you make a speedy recovery and the emotional scares heal rapidly. I know how hard the ground or unmovable objectives are at time of impact and attempting to overcome in post re-enactment of the event.
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey ecarnell, Man we heard stories about your crash!! Glad you're ok...relatively anyways. What's the saying: Any Crash you can walk away from...? Heal up brother!

As for my thoughts? We'll I definitely found it tough, but not in the way I thought I would. I was expecting super tough trails that would shatter both me and my bike, but instead I found the actual difficulty to be nothing I couldn't handle, in fact I've had the 990 down much gnarlier stuff than what I encountered. No, what I found hard was the actual distance....it's not called "the longest day" for nothing!
    Our team was another DNF...in fact we came dead last...not sure how that came to be as we did everything up to Coe Hill except the last half of D5, where as the second last team didn't even get that far as far as I know.

The main issue for us was speed....we lost a bunch of time first thing in the morning on that bloody great big sand hill that you WHERE NOT suppposed to ride up and killed about 30-45 min un-fucking 990 from the trench it dug itself, followed by the debacle in the snotty trail right after it with the 2 giant trees over it. Us and team big Jugs were having a hell of a time getting our big bikes through the ride around in the friggin bush:lol3

But I heard Bug Jugs had to bow out after loosing one of their guys. He had a big off and broke both ankles from what we were told.:eek1 Hope the dudes alright.

Then the rear pads on both my team mates crapped out. By the time we reached Coe Hill, they were rubbed past the point of the braking material and into the metal backing plate! As a result we were not able to tear down the gravel roads as quickly as we should have. We could have made the cut off's but after checking the pads at Coe Hill, we decided it wasn't a very good idea to send two heavy KLR's down the worst trails of the day with out rear brakes. Lesson learned....carry spare pads!!!.....for your team mates:deal:lol3:lol3

Over all I loved it. I really wanted to push harder but it just wasn't in the cards. I also will not be doing it on the 990 again. Its a great bike and for the most part I was fine on it, but Its a beast to handle in the slower stuff and frankly im not good enough of a rider to keep that bike going as fast as it needs to go to finish well in an event like the Dacre.....there are some crazy good riders in this event! Was chatting with one of the dudes from team Repeat Offenders and he had done the Dacre a while back on his 950 and came 4th.....:eek1 4th!! .....on a 950!!...now thats a man who can ride!

Also have to agree with CanadianX, really well organized and definitely had some "welcome to the big time" moments. I will be back, but on much more suitable bike and will definitely be investing in some pro training. I totally had more to put into this event, both physically and mentally and realize that proper prep is hugely important. I learned a lot of valuable lessons on this one!

Thanks again to the RC crew! See you all at the next one!:clap
  7. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    JBone11, did you guys bash your way through the section after the Marina? A lot like a goat path. Longest 100km of any day.
  8. Bastedo81

Bastedo81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Team Can Am had a blast, finishing in third place. Having to ride 160km with no rear brakes pads wasn't ideal, but thanks to The Coyotes for selling me a used pair so I could ride the last 2 sections with brakes. Hats off to all the teams that started this challenge. This was my second time. My last experince I rode with less experinced riders, and they quit at a water hole. No amount of talking would get them to try and finish. Sucked having the team quit on me, but the overall day was still fun. This year I had two of my buddies with me and had a great time. Thanks RC Crew. Can't wait until next time.:clap
  9. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure...don't think we got that far...I think the Marina was after Coe Hill. Really sucked to not have done the rest of the route, but the KLR's don't have abs like my 990 and can lock up fairly easily up front. I still had lots of life left in my rear pads...main because we weren't flying like everyone else, but also because I was able to use my front a little more than my team mates.

But given our experience, or rather, lack there of and the fact that we were on big bikes and were in the last third of a loooooong day I think we made the right decision to bail. We totally could have friggin done it though, of that I am sure! Unfinished business brother....unfinished business:deal
  10. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Sections 10 - 12 would have slaughtered you on a big bike. A 950se would have made it with a very fit very experienced rider.
  11. SlowShmo

SlowShmo Mr. Purfect

Oddometer:
    Great Job team Can Am!
    More stories please.
  12. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to RC and the crew for another great event!

I definitely found it harder than previous years - there was a lot more trail, and less initial road sections, which lengthened the whole day considerably. For instance, the winning team arrived at 1915 hrs which is nearly two hours longer than the top times of the previous two events. That speaks to the slower overall pace and higher percentage of trail. There were also only four (I think?) teams that finished as a team out of 15 starters, though a fairly high percentage (40%) of individual finishers.

As with previous Dacre's, the day did get harder and harder. The section from Coe Hill to the Wesleymakoon Marina was pretty gnarly, and then sections 10-12 after the marina were simply goat paths strewn with mud pits and nasty slippery climbs. It was pretty exhausting near the end of a long day. I honestly cannot imagine how someone with a big bike could make it through to the end of the event.

3 Toads and a Frog were having a smooth and solid ride, running in 4-5th position all day and aiming for a drama-free finish, but one of our guys sheared most of the teeth off his rear sprocket and jumped the chain about 20kms from the marina, and we were stuck in a 2 ft. deep blackwater mud hole with a bike that wouldn't roll, and the chain jammed up between the swing arm and the engine case. About 90 mins of trailside wrenching in these nasty conditions enabled us to feed the chain back on the damaged sprocket, tighten the crap out of it, and limp him out to Wesleymakoon. We left him there to be rescued by our support driver (which is quite a story in and of itself), and carried on through sections 10-12 to try and make the final bail point at Camel Chute. However, we left the marine at 1845 hrs, and sections 10-12 were the toughest of the day, and we were only able to manage about 35km/hr average through the first 90 minutes, and missed the final bail point. We had ridden the options early in the day as well, which added to our time.

Disappointing to not finish the event, and a reminder that in order to finish, taking account for unexpected mechanicals, one does need to ride with a sense of some urgency and make time where time can be made. We would have finished if there were no breakdowns, but that's hard to control.

All in all, although there were times of great misery and frustration, the next morning I rolled painfully out of my tent and starting thinking about the strategy for the next event in two years.

See y'all at the next one! Great great ride as always, and one of my favourite events.

ecarnell - I am glad to see you posting and feeling ok, despite what was obviously a pretty major encounter with a tree. You were looking dejected and frustrated when I saw you trailside, but otherwise managing ok. I am amazing you managed to ride it out and sincerely hope everything heals up without intervention (sounds like that will be the case). Hope to see you back at the next event.

There was another rider who was having some trouble with his leg after he was inadvertently struck by a bike behind him - does anyone know how that turned out? He didn't appear to have anything broken but looked very sore.

Major congrats to all the participants, especially those who finished the whole route. :clap :clap

dc
  13. Seth S

Oddometer:
    In the 2008 and 2010 events the course had no speed limits and the trails were easy and fast. The most technical being the hydroline pieces and fast teams with big bikes had little to no issues. Those years were about riding bikes with lots of fuel and riding fast. In 2012 they started to craft the route away from speed and more to technical. big bikes became less wise to run.

2014 the 3 toads and a frog strategy was to carry fuel and skip fuel stops. we had the range to refuel every 200k to 230k safely but we discovered that with the extra trail difficulty the big tanks were more of a penalty than a benefit. I think the next event will be all about traveling fast and light.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    ^This.

I think it was a good balance, not overly technical in any one section but enough of a challenge for everyone especially given how long the day was. The section after the marina was IMO the hardest section from a technical POV, more so as it came late in the day.

The % of people who were able to finish was pretty much spot on again IMO. Could it have been more technical, sure but then fewer people would sign up. There has to be a reasonable chance of getting to the end. Any number of variable can change that to a DNF. Broken body, bike or bad navigation to name a couple. If it starts to have the reputation of being to hard on man and machine then people will shy away as most of us have jobs to go back to on Monday and don't have unlimited resources to replace parts or complete bikes or take prolonged unpaid leave while we heal.

The only thing I would add is more cow bell at the start/finish line. :lol3
  15. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't class myself as and exceptional rider. Maybe just very persistent or not too bright :D

I'd say it was easier this year on my 450 than 2012 on the 950 but it really wasn't easy at all. The afternoon rough section was very long this year and beat the crap out of everyone.
    When I ran the 950 the rear pads were down to metal on metal shortly after the lunch stop at kinmount. (but the metal lasted the rest of the way).

The rear pads held up great on 450 this year. Mainly because i was too tired to lift my leg onto the rear brake pedal for the last 4 hours.

Great Event Rally Connex. Can't wait to do it again. Maybe a bit of physical training will be in order for the next one.

Gord
  16. Seth S

Oddometer:
    i think we were all down to metal on metal for the rears. I need new rotors anyways so not the end of the world....luckily metal on metal works well enough...as long as it doesnt become piston on metal. :D
  17. Motoaxe

Motoaxe Doctor of Misfortune

Oddometer:

Ummmm.... Thats being pretty humble Gord! Word around the campfire is that you gave few local and speedy riders quite a show while putting the chase on a certain red bull sponsored Kiwi rider!
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hogwash ....I would have made it. Would I be slaughtered....absolutely. Would it suck dragging that big beast through the bush....yep. But I would have made it:deal
  19. gaspésien1150

gaspésien1150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Team Janotech 4 place :clap:clap nice pick whit Chris Birch at the finish.
  20. Gravel Traveler

Gravel Traveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Dacre Challenge...

For me the OCMC Mini Pine is a long race. It's 80 Km's of all most all trail and by the end this year I was tired. Really tired. Oh... I came in last place in my class, I beat most of the kids and some of the ladies, ya, some of them! So when Greg invited me to join Team Can Am to ride the Dacre Dual Sport Challenge it seemed perfectly reasonable. All I had to do was ride the Mini Pine Enduro 10 times in a row, back to back. Perfect. One more thing, my Team Mates... they had a few AMA National Enduro Championships and a few dozen overall Enduro wins to draw on. I'd be thinking about the Ladies I put it to at the Mini Pine.

You see I'm not a racer, at a certain speed my brain says "slow down, you're going to crash.First pick at the prize table isn't worth piling into the ground at this speed" My Team.... they are racers. They have no "OFF SWITCH" It doesn't matter if its cash money, a cheap plastic trophy, or a new rear tire when someone starts to catch up to you it's time to grab a handful of throttle, run it deeper into the corners, lean it over a little farther and step the pace up to 11. God help me if they catch a glimps of a set of tail lights up the trail.... Put on the Big Boy Riding Pants because we need to chase those guys down!

So... the 4:15 start (yes last out) had a plan. Ride easy all day, be smooth, quick stops, don't waste time. Lets enjoy this ride and make sure we finish. The Start under the lights was AWESOME. Three, Two, One, GO.... we rolled out. It was a few Km's to the first option, some single track, we rolled in easy and the trail was great, then FLIP goes the switch, TAIL LIGHTS!!!!!! It was like dangling a good meaty steak in front of a hungry dog, the woods pace became my 80 Km's and I'm done for 2 days after the Mini Pine Pace. Good to have a plan, it almost lasted 5 Km's.

My options were pretty simple, couldn't ride that pace, but I could follow it. So maybe I will wad it up here in the woods or roll into Lindsay with Arm Pump so bad I won't be able to get my gas cap off. But the RC guys had the course laid out perfectly. A little trail to beat you up, then some transit to rest and trick you into going on again.

We rode steady all day and our Support Crew was amazing. A good crew is the difference between finishing or not. My Dad and Canadian Motorcycle Legend The Big Bass were ready with Pit Stands, Drinks and Fuel exactly where we needed them and kept our bikes and bodies fuelled and moving. It was nice to get a break, but most were not very long. "Your bikes full, get going" seemed to be the phrase of the day. Thanks Dad.

At some point we pulled over on the side of the road, we were at the 400 Km point. Half way. How did we feel as a team? Pretty good. Could we repeat EVERYTHNG we had done so far, do it all again? Hell ya! Lets Ride!!! and off we went.

I was getting a never ending on going riding clinic. My job, chase Matt, (Don't pile into the back of him...) He's smoooooooth and fast, if I lose him, Greg can pass me and catch up and slow things down. I study Matt brake, tip it into the corner, roll on coming out for 9 hours, I'm getting faster. Matt is picking great lines 95% of the time, the odd time he misses I take the better line things are good. We make the time cut off to ride past the last Bail Section. Perfect only about 150 Km's left! High Fives all around.

Wait.... High Fives? We have been riding 13 hours straight, at 90% of my ability, and now ALL I have to do is ride the Mini Pine Enduro 2 more times and we will be done, what has happened to me? As others have said, the last trail section was tough. It was the muddiest, the most mud of the day. Real plug up your tires, roost over your head mud. It was the rockiest with loose rocky hill climbs with no run in, and still water holes that you just never could trust if they were 3 inches deep or 2 feet. The trail was splitting every where and finding the trail was a challenge. The guys must have thought I had a crash they didn't see with a serious concussion because every time we stopped to check the route I'd ask, "how far in are we?, what time is it? how far to gas?" But I cleaned my GPS off in the first section on a tree. (I know 2 KM's in great start!!) I have NO IDEA what time it is, how far we have gone.

Matt tells me he checked, thinking we were about half way, of the 150 Km's we had left to go we had ridden 8. Wow! It feels like my knees are bleeding into my boots. Not a crash, just that after 13 hours of stand up and gas it, sit down brake slide into the corner, foot out and roll on it, stand back up my knee guards are just wearing through my skin. Suck it up now, past the Bail out. At least its not dark, yet! The trail goes on and on. FINALLY we ride on to a road and see some RC people and an Angel leans into my helmet "40 KM's to go, but its all road" Woo Hoooooo!!!!!!

We beat our pit crew into Dacre. We got in around 8:10? I think. So ya I got beat by Chris Birch. But... How many people can say they raced, errr... Ahhhhh "dual sport challenged" against Chris Birch? None of the Ladies at the Mini Pine that's for sure! Riding up to the Klim Arch was just like finishing the Real Dacar. Well.... if the real Dacar finished with 3 people clapping for you in a town of 70 people in the middle of "No Where North Eastern Ontario", but Awesome all the same! We checked in. Stepped off our bikes, Matts hands were still cramped in the shape of his bars and we started talking about how we could shave off a little time the next time we ride this thing!

Adam.