2014 Dacre Challenge -Who's In so Far?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jbone11 11, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Gravel Traveler

Gravel Traveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did anyone on anything bigger than a 501 KTM run the last section?

I met some guys on 650's but they had taken the bail.
  2. gaspésien1150

gaspésien1150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yesss whit my 530 :wink: the last section was my best one.
  3. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My two remaining team members from explore the Bruce were are on 690's and ran the entire route except the bonus bonus section @ route4/5.
  4. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know...I never really considered the 690 to be a "big" bike until I walked the padock after the finish....they are beasts! Compared to the 450's they're huge! Respect to those who made it through on a 690. Also, some of the bigger Berg's....that long wheel base and weight, even though less than a 990 still looks like a handful.
  5. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    3T1F ran the entire route including the options and single tracks up to the final bail where we were forced to bail. Had we not run the option we might have just squeaked into the final bail in time but with the mechanical and two minor water contamination issues time was tight anyways.
  6. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Team Ktonda on 3x 690s and 1x XR600 ran the early bonus section, no dramas other than waiting for the hill climb to clear. The 690 is a mountain goat on hill climbs with the slightly longer wheel base and good torque. Also ran and what had to be the longest 100 km ever after the marina. I think that was the roughest section of the day though as we didn't finish the very last section I can't say for certain.
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you mean that great big sand dune of a hill about 15min into the very first stage....you know there was a go around to the right...right? 2 out of the 3 yobo's didin't realize that until it was too late. I had to dodge a 950se...or was it one of the big beemers?? Can't remember, but it screwed up my line and I bogged down halfway up....still feeling the push to get the 990 to the top this morning:lol3
  8. Bastedo81

Bastedo81 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey Adam you did great. And Matt was a great addition. I couldn't have asked for a better team. Yes the Crew was great also.

As for the pace, sometimes you just can't help yourself, when the Beer is calling at the end.
  9. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    think you guys passed us on section 9 when we were working on the Husky with the shredded rear sprocket. there were 2 or 3 690's in that group....no words just very determined but tired looking nods as people passed :rofl
  10. norton

norton n00b

Oddometer:
    Had to turn power module down to "standard" for the remainder after the marina. 690 still a handfull in the snotty rocks. Too effin tall too.
    Great ride by Scholzie (explore the bruce), get well Eric.
  11. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    Hopefully next time round I can make it out to this ride. This year just wasn't in the cards for me. Love the stories guys.... Keep em coming.
  12. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Possibly we were 3x 690s and 1x XR600. We passed a couple groups, only to be passed by them later. One team in particular traded places with us a couple of times, the last time we saw them their lead two riders passed by me in a water hole and one of them wiped out and submarined his bike.:eek1

We got lucky and didn't flat out or water out all day. Our only two issues during the rally were a broken clutch cable and a kickstand spring that got knocked off but was found and easily reinstalled. Now before the rally there were 3 or 4 bearings replaced and one horn.
  13. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    Sounds like us. Dan tipped over after drifting off the line slightly and hitting a rock. The bike stalled but didnt hydrolock. We got it cleared out and started after about 20 minutes. Even without that i dont think we would have made the cutoff in time.
  14. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
  15. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Good lucky wasn't on our side this year. We DNFd and got ranked 6th, or second among the DNF teams.

Much to Kevin's chagrin, I soloed the last section. I know my GPS navigation skills are a bit lacking (and the Trail Tech Voyager didn't really help in that regard) but I wanted that damn survivor sticker! Throw in the fact that my lighting was woefully inadequate as was my eye protection and it's a wonder I even made it to Dacre at all. I only ran off the road twice and not even when a dragonfly hit me square in the right eye. That wasn't the only critter to stick to my retinas but despite that and getting lost a half-dozen times I somehow rolled into Dacre at about 9pm.

I still don't know the name of the End2End guy that Hauler smoked in one of the morning sections. He was in the left rut and we were passing on the right carrying a ton more speed than he was on his DR650. Just as Hauler was going by the guy lost it and dumped himself across the trail right in front of Hauler. Hauler tried to avoid him but it happened too fast. He hit him going about 50km/h and then hit the DR650 and went over the bars of his 500EXC. I managed to get in the left rut to avoid hitting the guy again but ran over his DR650. Despite the huge get-off Hauler was up right away to go check on the DR rider. He was confused and disoriented but appeared to not have suffered any broken bones, which is something of a miracle considering the impact he took. He is one tough dude! Several minutes later Country Doc stopped and checked him out to make sure he wasn't seriously injured but you could tell his day wasn't going to continue much longer. I know he made it to Kinmount as I saw him limping badly and sadly that's where he retired I think. Anybody have any info on him and how he's doing?

Hauler just didn't seem to be in it anymore after the impact. His bike was a bit bent and even though I straightened out his front rotor enough to let the wheel turn freely, the bars and controls were a bit twisted and didn't feel right. His left-hand rear brake started working out of the blue though. Then Hauler's day got worse after the marina when GoJo ran into the back of his right leg. Our timing was off all day and even I almost ran into Hauler earlier so it was just that we weren't in the zone like we usually are. Anyway, Hauler made it as far as Camel Chute and had to take the bail. He couldn't even stand on it. X-Rays show a bone fragment and severely sprained ankle. His calf muscle is pretty much hamburger at the moment. He rode the nastiest section of the day and all the way to Camel Chute like this. I can't begin to imagine the pain he was in and he didn't take any meds until he retired.

Two more years and as usual I can't wait until the next one...

Sean
  16. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    He is one of the best riders I know. :wink:

Sean :bmwrider
  17. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure the dude that got hit by hauler was at Dacre. Either that or there was someone else with a really sore leg. Dude was walking like a peg-legged pirate. And I believe I heard someone mention the bent rotor being the result of that stiff leg....hope he was stopping in at the Emerg on the way home to get that leg checked....looked painful!
  18. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got an all clear from the hospital and heading home late this aft/tonight.
    Have some residual blood in my kidney that I'm peeing out, but it's not increasing. Right leg is still 1.5x the size of the left, but I can at least stand on it now and only improving from here on in (nothing broken). Lung capacity breathing thingy is also helping - up from 1500ml per breath to 3500ml.
    Will do a full inspection of the bike tomorrow. Noticed my right hand knuckles are all bruised - probably from the snapped hand guard when I hit the tree.

Eric
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Glad to hear your relatively okay
  20. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    That was Hauler limping around at Dacre.

Best of luck on the healing ecarnell.