2014 Dacre Challenge -Who's In so Far?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jbone11 11, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Aside from one team test ride 2 weeks prior to the event I had no ridden in 2 years with my last ride being the Dacre of 2012. I had a bunch of good crashes back then and a few things going on in my life where a break from riding was in order. As a consequence I was very out of shape physically and mentally and was the slow one on team all day... as a result I ate a lot of dust...in fact I ate all of the dust as seen in our end of the day arrival photo. Big guy on right

[​IMG]
  2. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're doing better brother. Hope to see you at the next one :freaky
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be so hard on yourself...you guys did well regardless, especially considering your lack on previous riding prep. I think the smiles on your faces speak for themselves :freaky
  4. GrahamM

GrahamM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this past Dacre was my fourth.... It all started 8 years ago....

I travel a bit for work and have a hard time to committing to anything not knowing my work schedule. Some friends Barry, Daryl and John (bad boys I think) were in this event. About that time I got to know Rome a bit and 2 days before event he calls me up and says that a team has lost the minimum number of riders to do it and asked if I was interested.... At that point with no other plans and an okay klx400... Why not! Put a 15tooth sprocket on the bike and I was all set, and of course dug out the sheep skin;) the team I joined was Dave and Alison Grummet and a third did finally make it making it a team of four. Met my team members for the 1st time at about 9pm the night before, said hey and went to bed; next thing we were on bikes at 4:15 riding out of Paris. Really enjoyed it, we completely finished and Alison took the claim of fame of the only female to finish:) well done Alison. No support crew at all That year. During this one we had a flat on my bike with 4 broken spokes, other than that it was just struggles of keeping us together in fog and complicated bush. Navigation was shared between myself and Dave working together.

Did I mention Rome, john B and Ed rode that year as well- orange crush... They took first as I recall

next... John Baxter, Rome and I plan a team. I join orange crush... All KTM 525s with about 17l and 250km + range. We ride conservative and consistent and come in first with a very clean 16+ hours, it was a great ride:) did I mention John B Landed in Toronto from a business trip in Japan... Superstar... And yes the sheep skin was found:) no flats or technical issues that I can recall.

Next... I talked Marie's pizza into the ride. Barry, Rome and myself. We got out clean and rode conservatively as before but this time we had some competition... Dan, Flanny and Seth, unlucky for them Seth had a mechanical issue and we rode to glory as they did not finish with their complete team. We also had a couple of flats on Rome's bike towards the last sections. Sheep skin again was appreciated.

Lastly Barry is out, does not see the ROI of such an event, Rome is on the edge until I say "when else are you able to ride a dirt bike in a single day 16hours"..... I got a hell ya! Rome is tough and loves a challenge.Third team mate appeared in the form a superstar... Chris Birch. Rome met Chris during his Romaniacs trip and became friends. Perfect, I guess he will do:) I rode with Chris a little at Calabogie two years ago and felt comfortable that as a team we could pull this off. Last fall I found a blown '09 KTM 530 and finally decide in march it will become my p2d ride with a 570 kit. I also single sumped the bugger so as not to worry about the whole separate oil compartment issue. Tues before the event I plan about 350 km route to practice routing and riding together. On the day a late start and massive electrical storm cuts the ride to about 100km through the Nastiest sections of the 5 points area, it was good practice for the opinion. During the Dacre we did have issues.... Coming out of the single track Rome had no back brake, we decide to get to Lindsay to figure it out, as it cooled it came back. At Lindsay we top up the back brake fluid and away we went. Brake came and went all day. On e108 after the forest access road I slowed down once and did a 180 parking myself in the woods, ripped my rear fender and license plate off:) damn I just installed it! Serves me right for being distracted for a few seconds. Pencil lake trail rear fender bag carrying 1.5 spare fuel on Chris's bike comes off, straps fail! KTM crap was brand new, not even 300km use. Damn it, pour the fuel into Chris's bike and decide after next stop the stock setup is sufficient based on fuel stops. Eagle nest, Chris's handle bars are loose! About 15mins to take apart and tighten. Chris notices Rome axle hanging out, thank goodness nut had not fallen of yet, tighten and away we go... Oh and I had to hot wire my lights and Gps after my tail light rip off. Last section in Calabogie area, lots of nice trails that led us off route, had some fun but did nothing to help our time... Man there's lots of nice stuff out there:) overall all we hit all waypoints except for a tiny section of less than a km, a small trail parallel to the road we missed, penalized 10mins or something. Pulled into dacre at 19:23 I think. Good ride, really enjoyed watching Chris. He is amazing! Had fun with everyone, thanks for a great weekend... Special thanks out to my wife for dropping me off and putting up with me and to Glen for being a great help at designated support stops, made all the difference in the world.

Sheepskin made this trip as well, almost took an offer at camel chute for $50;)

Not sure I will push my luck a fifth time.

[​IMG]
  5. 400 KTM Pilot

400 KTM Pilot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Graham

Good to hear the struggles that the first team to arrive in Dacre had.
    It wasn't easy for anyone.
    Speaks to the demands/issues/unforeseen obstacles this event offers.
    Congrats to you guys, and all those who put forth the effort to ride.
  6. Gravel Traveler

Gravel Traveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great write up Graham!

Quote...

"I still don't know the name of the End2End guy that Hauler smoked in one of the morning sections. He was in the left rut and we were passing on the right carrying a ton more speed than he was on his DR650. Just as Hauler was going by the guy lost it and dumped himself across the trail right in front of Hauler. Hauler tried to avoid him but it happened too fast. He hit him going about 50km/h and then hit the DR650 and went over the bars of his 500EXC. I managed to get in the left rut to avoid hitting the guy again but ran over his DR650. "

I met this guy with the DR at Mosport Sunday. He rode with a guy named Paul who gave me the spare off his trailer at a great price. ( my one tire had a belt shift and the cords were hanging out )

Those guys quit and got a hotel in Bancroft. DR guys ankle was pretty swollen and a bit of a gash on his shin. Both great guys, both planning on coming back to finish next time.
  7. Seth S

Oddometer:
    Didnt someone start on a GS1200?
  8. Corbeau

Corbeau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Graham, thanks for the historical perspective... (Hey, I'm a history major, what do you want...)
    Here's a pic I shot in 08, when I covered the P2D for the Ottawa Citizen... Some faces might be familiar. (Those are finishers and there was still light out...)

[​IMG]
    dacre_2008
  9. GrahamM

GrahamM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is orange crush: Rome, John and Ed. The next year around I filled in for Ed riding with John and Rome.
  10. GrahamM

GrahamM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention one of my favourite parts was catching up with Repeat Offenders in the bush Just before crystal lake road... Full on race! It was wheel to wheel corner sliding fun! Of course Chris was way out front and Rome and I were battling it out with the team... Fuel range never occurred to anyone of course and it was full throttle everywhere we could... What a blast. 570 kit really came alive;) thanks for that fun!

This was in the bush... It was not on municipal roads... We always kept it cool there.
  11. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember rolling into Coe Hill about 5:30....and talking to the gas attendent. One of my team mates cheekily asked what time Chris Birch and his team came through....to which the gas attendant replied..."Oh...I'd say about 12 noon or so..." :muutt...wee all just kinda looked at each other and then sheepishly finished filling up a rode away...:lol3
  12. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I think that's the guy who broke both ankles on Team Big Jugs.
  13. Seth S

Oddometer:
    ahhh that would make sense...well sorry to hear about the ankles. There is a sort of dark comedy surrounding that situation. I cannot imagine what it was like to have that situation occur
  14. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I felt for that team...they were struggling with the bigger bikes....we leap frogged with them pretty much the whole morning. Never saw them again after the brunch stop.
  15. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I gather from people comments that the previous rallies were more big bike friendly. In the end you ride what you have right? I used to off road my GSA, now it's a gravel road bike and I keep it out of the woods, just to much work for my level of skill.
  16. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Every Dacre I've been in has always had the caveat that anything over 990 should be reconsidered.

This event there were actually by passes/options - and bonus sections - which I had not seen before.

So in all accounts - this one should have been even more "big big friendlier" than previous.

For an average rider your in the dark at start and finish if you are to complete the whole route. Slugging a bike bike around for 18+hrs is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :roflThat's my team mate...and that big bright light is me trying to get the 990 up that bitch of a sand pile:lol3
  19. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Probably the worst nav error you guys made..... :)

We came up to you guys probably the same time as the vid was taken (after the initial single track option) I could see you guys ahead and stuck on the hill, but the GPS track headed right, not straight as the line you took,..... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL!...I know...I know....Lesson learned...don't blindly follow the guy in front of you:lol3