2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    I went with a swmotech Bags-Connection engage and to gas cap locking.
    Nothing touches and looks great.
    Picked it up from an inmate 90bucks delivered practically new.
  2. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info. Did anyone opt for the extended warranty?

Hanz any chance you can post close ups of the rainier mounting points.
  3. adv397

adv397 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this bike just turned 11k miles and only need to replace tires ! its great in the twisties great on long trips and can be set up to be great off road this is a bike that I will have for a long long time
    billmags likes this.
  4. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had another stall this morning, long engine brake down a hill in 2nd gear, pulled the clutch to downshift to first and it stalled. took a couple starts to get it going again. Really seems like a fueling issue from the ECU as it was bubbling and popping right before hitting the clutch but another thread over on stromtroopers indicates it may be the clutch switch Going in for the 600 mile service once I'm back in town and will see what the dealer can find.

Checked the VIN, I have a Jan 2014 bike.
  5. Hanz

Hanz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't purchased an extended - I may. I'm sleeping on it repeatedly, lol.

Poor photos of Wolfman Rainier mounting on the 2014 DL1000 V-Strom:

[​IMG]Wolfman Rainier 2014 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

The front layout:

Sorry I didn't get a photo of the strut. Peer down into the hole on your bike around the forks and tank and you will see one on either side of the tank.

The rear:

Hope they have helped some.
    paroldeley likes this.
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No extended warranty here. That's why I buy Japanese bikes, and a big advantage of the Strom, in particular.
  7. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    C'mon Tom, if you're going to be an :asshat at least try to get your facts straight. Philpsd commented on the abs based on personal experience, not because he read a magazine article :rolleyes
    I was reading this thread and going back to magazine articles, because I'm considering the V2 due to the great prices on a nice bike, and had just read the exact thing that Philpsd had noticed, so I posted it up. This touched off the abs "discussion". I dropped out because I had no dog in this hunt and got bored with it.
    You're better than this.
    V-Tom likes this.
  8. billmags

billmags Scoot Jockey

Oddometer:
    No extended warranty - what for? There's only two cylinders and a chain. ;)
    Neglect is what hurts bikes like this. Just ride it and take care of it.
    It's a good friend to explore with.
    adv397 likes this.
  9. scott123007

scott123007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the problem is, those that DO have a dog in this hunt, say that ONE article and a guy, that at best, does not ride nearly as hard or aggressively as many on here that do, think he is FOS. I actually own an '07 V, a '12 Tenere, and a '14 V and can assure you, or anyone else that cares, that the '14 V will out brake the others in every situation I've encountered. Maybe poor 'ol Philpsd bought the same bike that the magazine tested, which more likely than not, has something wrong with the ABS.
    Pecha72 likes this.
  10. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    This is all fine except that when the V2 was stopped without engaging the ABS, the stops at their best were close to the S10. Full on ABS stops were much, much longer. If you have ABS front and rear and you are using both brakes, linking those brakes shouldn't make that much difference except for riders too stupid to use the front brake properly. If the old V1 with lower spec brakes can stop harder than the V2 in the dry, then there is some kind of a problem limiting stopping effectiveness under that particular condition. Either the the new powerful four piston brakes on the front of the V2 aren't up to the task; which is absurd, or there is some kind of issue with the ABS that is limiting maximum braking effectiveness in the dry.

In a hard stop there will be tire slippage well before lockup. Make a tire howling stop and there will be considerable rubber on the road. Lockup in the dry isn't an instant on process. The goal of ABS isn't to eliminate all slippage, but to eliminate lockup. You want ABS kick in when there is too much slippage and risk of lockup. In slippery conditions you want the ABS to kick in at the first sign of slippage because lockup will be almost immediate. In the dry the system needs to be able to judge how much slippage is appropriate to get maximum braking before lockup is a risk. It's a complex problem. There have been ABS systems on bikes that couldn't handle dirt at all, some do better. The V2 works well in the dirt, but somehow they have missed the mark for dry road stopping. It's not the simple problem you make it out to seem.

However, it's entirely possible that Suzuki may have identified the problem and made an update since the early 14's were built, which I have. The problem is how to find out.
    V-Tom likes this.
  11. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the extended service plan can be added at any time while the original one year warranty exists?

I definately want it, bike shops are a rip off for any issue and I have read a lot about stalling issues and replacing ecm's.

The front mounting straps on that wolfman is different to mine, I'll look them up on the wolfman site. Thank you for taking the time to post those photos.
  12. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    That someone is a longtime V-Strom owner (since 02) and found under hard braking that my new V-Strom wasn't stopping as it should. I did not see the magazine article until later and their experience confirmed mine. The unknown is how many bikes this applies to. Don't be so dismissive.
    V-Tom likes this.
  13. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    The comparative information is appreciated; but poor 'ol Phipsd doesn't need to be patronized by the likes of you.
  14. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boys, boys, boys...settle down!
    It's Xmas season!
    Cheers!:beer:dukegirl
    V-Tom likes this.
  15. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there are any good videos for information on how to setup the suspension on a newer v2..
    I have went through YouTube and a few other sources but am looking for a way to learn a little bit about how to set up a suspension..

Everyone is different and riding styles and body weights will vary..
    I would just like to be able to understand what to move and where and what settings are best for certain situations..
  16. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    We can argue ideas and experience all day long; that's what I'm here for. But there is no need to make it personal with the putdowns. That's not cool.
  17. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    On this forum, Farmer Hank had an interesting evaluation of V2 suspension that might be helpful. FWIW, I'm 250 lbs and left mine completely as it came from Suzuki and found it worked pretty well.
    V-Tom likes this.
  18. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah a bit harsh on my side although it sure did seem to me that he was comparing experience for old bikes way back when with a new bike in different situations on different roads and then using one article in a magazine to bolster his conjecture. I'm sorry if it comes across as personal.

I would seriously like to know if this is a real issue but am surprised that there has been almost no one else mentioning it\ and lots of people seem very happy with the ABS in the 2014+ DL1000.

Without actually comparing braking with and without the ABS working on the same bike in the same situation it is hard to know if this is a limited to one specific bike (or two perhaps), something that just seems to be not working well, a perception issue or a serious safety issue.

Lately I am riding a lot in conditions where ice is a very real concern. On top of that my local roads all have been "brined" so if there is any moisture present you can't tell if the roads are wet or have ice on them. The traction control and ABS seem to me to do a great job in letting me know where the limits of traction are and in most cases there is way more traction than I expected. (ie tap the rear brake if no ABS then there is decent traction) and it seems to give a pretty reasonable indication.

..Tom
    2thdrinOR and mcmann like this.
  19. pantzoften

pantzoften Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I first got my bike I often kept trying to shift into 7th gear and suggested that 6th was geared too low and I kept putting on the high beams by accident. If that wasn't your reality, then it made no sense to you.
    If someone had a problem going from 1st to 2nd, I assumed that they were inexperienced and suggested ways to shift more smoothly because mine was the smoothest shifting bike I had ever ridden, I was wrong.
    At first, some folks were thinking those with an engine knock were hearing imaginary sounds and suggested listening to a Ducati.
    My point is that when it's your reality sometimes it's difficult for others to understand when it is not theirs, however if you feel that your ABS is not up to your expectations, it doesn't help to say things like "except for riders too stupid to use the front brake properly" or "If the old V1 with lower spec brakes can stop harder than the V2 in the dry" because that might not be the reality of others.
    You very well may have a defective bike and maybe others will speak up on your behalf.
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  20. MRBLACK947

MRBLACK947 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got to take the bike out of mothballs this week and ride it to work a couple of times.

The big thing I wanted to test was this rear brake test. I know many have complained their rear brake is useless. I can pretty easily stop my bike from 40mph in what I consider a reasonable amount of time from a seated position without lifting my heal off the peg. I was surprised at how well it works. I'm not a heavy rear brake user.

My clutch still continues to perform flawlessly with no dragging. That shit would not fly with me and would have to be fixed immediately!

I have zero grinding on the 1-2 shift. Again that would not fly with me. I shouldn't have to ride a new bike a particular way to make it not do that.

I have not had any downshift stalling. I have had one occurrence of a stall at the hit of the throttle.

I have no complaints with the ABS on the front brakes. I've only tripped it once and it was a very unusual set of circumstances on dry pavement. Other then that, this bike stops on a DIME. Even with big block knobbies.

No other new news to report at this time.

7100 miles in.
    2thdrinOR, MoToad and V-Tom like this.