2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I haven't taken it on a long ride since getting it, but just from local riding I can tell it will be more comfortable on a long day.
    majahack and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2015 Subaru Forester

Oddometer:
    yfis, Eric Plante, stu53 and 4 others like this.
  3. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. billyal33

billyal33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. Funny how different markets have different pricing for the same bike. In this write up there all close enough but here in uk the 950 multi is £1400 more than a strom. Plus no one pays full retail for the suzuki.
    I liked that ducati when I first seen it. it looked smaller and lighter than my veek but its not lighter and only 6 hp more and only moves ahead of the strom over 7000rpm.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
  6. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So, hows the seat? Thinking of the Suzuki high seat or the Seat Concept seat.
  7. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    I have the OEM tall seat and really enjoy it compared to the standard seat. Also installed adventuretech's peg lowering and shifter adjuster parts. I'd like to try a Seat Concept sometime, but will very likely send either my stock or the tall seat to Terry Adcox to work his magic. If I had a buyer for either of my standard or tall seat in tan, that would help on which one I'd have Terry work over. 6'1" with 34" inseam.
  8. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0211.JPG

Just a post to say everything's great! Just got back from a two day 480 mile trip in the U.P., from Iron Mountain MI. Home area, up to Grand Marais MI. Mostly Off road, County, State and N.F. roads, ATV trails from high speed hard pack to continuously almost loosing it deep sand downhills. Lots of rollercoaster, broken shitty pavement, blind hill/corner combos, near deer hit, etc. Great ride! temps, mid 60's Monday, A little rain during the overnight and a beautiful mid 70's on the way back Tuesday. Beers, Suppressa cheese and triscuits for dinner around a nice fire, camped at Twelve mile beach, good times. Still love the bike! That is all.
  9. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0210.JPG

Of course Ken was with sharing routes and setting a helluva pace! He's still not sure about jumping the Vstrom ship for an Africa Twin. I used to think they were the Swiss Army knives of big bikes but now I'm thinking there more of the Leatherman of big bikes!
    pvwheeler likes this.
  10. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:

Finally sounds like a twin should..

Attached Files:

Bad Dad likes this.
  11. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout

Oddometer:
    Are those the Shinko 804/5s? What can you tell us about them and the mileage you think you'll get from them?
  12. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No bags attached ............?
  13. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I took a 650 mile day ride around the Rockies' high country looking for Fall color.
    Up and over several 10,000+ ft passes....12,095 ft Independence Pass, narrow twisty roads and high speed two lane.

Left the house before the sun came up, got home after dark - a 14 hr day in the saddle except for lunch, gas stops and picture taking.
    The seat was great - no hot spots, all day comfort.
    Hard to beat for the price ($194).
    Bad Dad likes this.
  14. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4500 ish miles when I changed out the first pair and they still had a couple hundred miles to go. Happy enough to get a second pair, lack of staggered blocks in the rear my only gripe. Able to drag parts in the dry and great, for a knobby, in the wet.
  15. twinrider

twinrider pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You've had an AT and an S10 -- same as me -- and I see you've now got a new V-Strom. How do you like it in comparison to the other two in terms of handling, power, ride quality, comfort? It's been on my radar lately, starting to get that new bike itch...
  16. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Anything unusual about the spec on your Seat Concept? Tall, Regular, Low? Just standard, plain-old-plain kit? I ask because I just finished a 1,700 mile trip and my butt is sore (on the stock seat). Carbon fiber sides, gripper top?
  17. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ? If this is for me, just overnighter so no need for the ortleibs.
  18. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roger that................
  19. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, any news on steel shifter and rear brake levers! Over the winter Going to mount up the steel footpeg mounts from the 650 strom and some more aggressive pegs.
  20. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I've been a big fan of all three....the Super Tenere was a great road trip bike, I really liked it - roomy, comfy riding position, and could go offroad (just watch your speed, it was a big bike!)
    The Africa Twin - hands down the best offroad, and very good on the road. I'd have gone tubeless if I kept it, my only gripe is the thought of a tube flat on a trip in BFE.

I'd never considered a V Strom, it (in my mind) was the bike a KLR owner moved up to :lol3 Good on the road, could be had for little money, reliable.....a little boring maybe.
    Then I read up on the '14 and newer, after seeing a few leftover bikes at good prices. I didn't realize they'd done so many improvements to the bike, so I gave it a shot - and was very surprised (in a good way).

The engine is excellent - very torquey, lots of useable grunt. Suspension is good quality, brakes are excellent - makes a very sporty bike.
    It doesn't have a lot of ground clearance - but I bought it to do mainly road trips with the ability to go offroad.

And compared to the other bikes mentioned, it's pretty light.

I don't have the Seat Concepts - I have the Suzuki tall seat (and the oem regular seat that came on it).
    I could use the oem pan and have SC build a seat if I felt I needed something different.
    The_Precious_Juice and victor441 like this.