2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It very much works on many lights. Keep an eye out for the lines at the light that show were the sensor wires are and stop over one. If putting the stand down doesn't trigger the light you can contact the municipality and usually they are happy to turn up the sensitivity.

(I prefer centerstand over understand as you can leave the bike in gear and it doesn't kill the motor.)

..Tom
  2. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm in the process of getting my new 2018 all set up the way I like it. One thing I have on my '04 650 that I really like having is a 12v socket inside one of my panniers for charging things I don't need immediately while riding. On my 650 I've got it wired right into the battery with a fuse, but would like to do it "properly" on this bike, and would like it to be switched with the ignition. What's the best way to tap into the electrical back near the panniers and add a USB outlet that is switched on/off with the ignition?
  3. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Relays.

If you are just drawing the 5 v for a USB phone charger, tap directly into thr tail light wire. If you want potentially something more though, use a relay and direct to battery with the tail light as a trigger wire.
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually my charging duties are light... a cell phone, DLSR battery, Gopro etc, and rarely more than one at a time. And now that you mention it, I think I recall seeing a pre-made adapter that would allow you to pull power from the tail light, that just plugged in inline with stock connectors... or am I crazy?
  5. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eastern Beaver
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one! Thanks. Looking at the PC-8, I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better bet so as to have some expandability for later on should I decide to add a few running lights, horns (on the list also) etc?

Also, looking at the last item on that page, the "accessory power adapter" that says it "may" fit the new 1k's, does anyone know if it does, and where it plugs in?

I've always been the DIY kinda guy, but my solutions don't always take future modifications into account, and I'm trying to keep everything on this bike as neat as possible.
  7. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    I think the "accessory power adapter" plugs into the factory heated grips plug...often unused...somewhere tucked under the tank. It's been hit and miss people even find it.
  8. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    More info here.
  9. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    On yours (2014+) the accessory plug is on the left side around the bottom of the radiator. I spotted it by poking around under there with a flashlight. I think I had to unbolt the radiator so I could move it around a little to get the plug out of there.

I wouldn't suggest powering the PC8 from the tail light circuit. Something else, like a brake light flasher, okay, but not the PC8. First, fhe battery is right there and it's just as easy to power directly as any other way; second, the tail light is kind of critical so I don't think you'd want to take a chance that a failure in the PC8 or something connected to it could take out the tail light; third, you'd lose the option to have a couple of PC8 outputs stay powered on when the key is off.

Vinnie
  10. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you get the PC8 you should also buy the relay and wiring kit. It uses the tail light connection as the trigger for the relay and the actual power comes from the battery.

..Tom
    2thdrinOR and Bad Wolf like this.
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome info guys, much appreciated.

Another question. I just swapped my OEM power outlet for the Blue Sea USB outlet. I'd like to save the stock socket "just in case". I'm hoping someone here knows what plug I'd have to buy (and hopefully, where) to plug into the harness so I don't have to hack up the stock socket. Obviously I've got plenty of spade connectors on hand, but have never had to buy connectors to fit stock wiring harnesses before. I could probably pick up another socket on the Bay, but I'd prefer not to spend $20+ for a single plug.
  12. TipsyMcStagger

Oddometer:
    Info.
  13. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tips, thanks! I looked all through that site and didn't notice that guy, probably because it was white and not black. Hard to make out details when it's all blown out like that.
  14. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    92AAAA2B-AF25-4277-AC68-EA7651E5C198.jpeg I recently installed some Anakee Adventures to replace the Anakee 3s I had. Handling seems lighter than I remember but they do emit a whine as soon as the bike leans even just a little. The noise on the 3s went away after a few thousand kms but I was hoping these would be quieter. I’ve been a long time Michelin buyer but these could be the last ones I purchase. I replaced the chain and sprockets at the same time(20K miles) because of the noisy chain slap I was getting. I went with a gold RK to match the gold forks. While re-installing the clutch slave cylinder I was certainly cursing the engineer who designed it.
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  15. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Try Michelin Road 5 Trails. Probably the best tyres I ever had on a motorcycle.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  16. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For $360 a set, I would hope so...

I've been happy with Avon TrailRiders although I'm sure they are not up to the quality of the Michelins...
    I do 75% pavement, 25% gravel/dirt roads.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  17. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I also used Dunlop Trail Smarts on my former Triumph 1200 Explorer. They were also excellent tyres. The Anakees had slowed the steering on that bike but the Dunlops restored the quick steering that I like. Imho they are only slightly shaded by the Road 5's. On either I am happy to take on a gravel road when required.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  18. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a leftover new 2018 V-Strom 1000XT in June, and I'm loving this motorcycle.

I'm coming from a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14, that I also loved, but I was thinking of switching to a more upright adventure style/lighter motorcycle next year, or the year after. I was interested in the Super Tenere, Tracer 900 GT, or maybe a V-Strom. My wife has a 2015 FJ09 and wanted something similar for the riding we do, less high speed, more tighter/technical/slower, but still sporty/sport-touring/not off-road. The reason I made the change now was a local dealer had 2018 1000XT's on blowout, ~$9,800 Canadian before tax, and with a 5 year warranty.

Every new bike is always the "best", and I know I am in the honeymoon phase, but I am really enjoying the light weight, ergos, punchy engine, V-twin throb/sound, suspension, brakes, and overall feel of the V-Strom. And I dig the yellow and gold color!

The reviews all say it does everything really well, nothing outstanding (and nothing "bad"). I thought that might translate to boring, but rather I find it just means I enjoy the ride, don't focus on a particular aspect of the bike - it's great!

Added the OEM heated grips, centerstand, and a set of Kappa K-Venture side bags and top case (37L and 42L) with the Kappa racks (easy fitment, great quality, seem very solid), and a SW-Motech tank bag. Will do some weekend trips, and then have a 10 day ride coming up in the fall, looking forward to putting the kms/miles on!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
  19. 996DL

996DL Buell me

Oddometer:
    To put it in context, I paid $10,000 Cdn before freight / pdi, for a sale priced new 2004 DL1000 back in the day.

Only now the revised / refined 1037cc motor, is supplied with absolutely premium running gear, MUCH improved aerodynamics and cornering ABS etc...

Well done ripngrip. :thumbup

996DL
  20. Mainrollman

Mainrollman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki claims the 2014-2019 VStrom 1000 calls for the spark plugs to be changed at 6,000 miles. I’d like to think Suzuki knows what they’re talking about, I mean they built it. But this just seems excessive to me, and it’s hard to believe a plug would need to be changed out after only 6,000 miles. Just wondering what people are finding when checking them at 6,000 and if it’s really necessary to swap them out.