2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a pillion to vote, the Sargent will make them happy...per my wife. The stocker was a miserable hump back there. I am a midget 5'6", so I got the low version.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  2. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input on the seats guys. Everyone has their preferences, I don’t like the grippy material on the stock seat or the Seat Concepts, but the carbon fibre look material is an option. I like the stock height so no need to change that and I’ve never ridden with a passenger, yet. My issue seems to be the rise at the front of the seat that makes my private parts go numb. I’ve considered cutting out the foam but there isn’t much there to deal with because of the shape of the seat pan.
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Madstad adjustable or Givi Airflow for buffeting on a 2012 dl650?

Hope this isn’t like an oil/tire thread...:lol3
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Have a look on the following forum......

https://www.stromtrooper.com/forumindex.php

This thread is related only to the 2014+ Strom :hmmmmm
    Little Bike likes this.
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Givi works for me. Amazingly well on a 650 and a 1000. If you are 5-11 it may work for you as well.
    Little Bike likes this.
  6. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Madstad bracket and a screen of your choice that is large enough to be effective. Best way to get smooth quiet airflow. You will still need deflectors and mirror offsets to get it right, but that is the case with any screen on these bikes.
    Yes, many will say the Givi Airflow is Gods gift to motorcycle riders. But they must not ride at higher speeds around traffic and crosswinds. It is a great screen for back roads, off road and occasional interstate use. But put in a long day at speed and it will leave you wanting something better. The Madstad combo allows so many height/angle changes that you can find what works. It also extends the screen forward, a big help in clearing the handguards or handlebars when turned to the stops.
    Little Bike likes this.
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s weird, I thought I had posted in the general vstrom thread. Oops.
  8. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TOPIC OF SCREENS:
    My buffeting is coming from under the handle bars and up my chest. Do any of the screens stop that or has anyone else experienced this?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Buffeting is a multi issue problem to fix.

Top wind was fixed by a Givi Airflow screen.

Side wind was fixed by using Tuono mirrors and Augustus winglets.

Lower center wind was fixed but using a Givi tank bag to stop the wind.
    ShimrMoon and Griff2 like this.
  10. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    As Eakins suggests this is a multi issue problem. My fix, as far as I am willing to carry it was to fit an 18 model screen and otherwise I usually have a Touratech tank bag mounted also. A Givi Airflow would be too tall for me at 5' 8". Other than that I have a good set of ear plugs.
  11. Maximus Power

Maximus Power Bubby, you can call me Max

Oddometer:
    The Puig touring windscreen helps greatly but it’s very tall. I still get some at high speeds but nothing crazy. May try the tankbag if I can find one that’s not like buying a coach purse. The prices on some of these farkles are laughable to a guy with many different bikes to maintain.
  12. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the screens mentioned-other than the 2018 screen- wold be too tall for my liking. At 5' 7" I am on the short side and as the buffeting is coming up from under the handle bars I may try the tank bag. Never had need for one. Are they a pain when it comes to refueling? I see Eakins is using the GIVI tank bags. Any other recommendations?
  13. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The TT item is easy to remove when fuelling. Two snap in fasteners at the front and velcro at the rear. The harness is also very small and tidy. If interested I can take some photos and post.
  14. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Griff2 that would be great. I stopped by the local Cycle Gear and all they had were magnetic bags. Don't know how they would work with the large plastic strip going down the middle of the tank. The Givi's on line are quiet costly-I know you get what you pay for. i guess this is trial an error to see what works for me,but would hate to spend almost $200 and then find out I needed mirrors or handguards etc....
  15. hawkgt

hawkgt Daydreaming

Oddometer:
    Watch the flea market, always a few in the parts or gear section here.
  16. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Take a look at the Coretech strap on. Works well for me and isn't break the bank expensive (their magnet version doesn't work with the plastic on a 2018).

Vinnie
  17. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The tank bag won't cure the issue but helps. I will post some photos later.
  18. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neodymium magnets are cheap. That and some quality double side tape to glue the magnets under the plastics and that magnetic tank bag WILL stick to the plastics. (Make sure you glue the magnets on the correct way up).
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Never got to take those photos. Hopefully tomorrow. The bike is currently not closeby. In the interim see below.......

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Expandable-Tank-Bag-Suzuki-V-Strom-1000-2014-on
  20. menotknow

menotknow always n00b

Oddometer:
    ^^ This or one very similar but not expandable came with my bike. I took it off but it works great.