2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Finally getting to the photos firstly showing the mountings front and rear.

P1070175.JPG P1070177.JPG P1070178.JPG
    rauchman likes this.
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:

Second set showing riders view seated and other angles......

P1070179.JPG P1070180.JPG P1070181.JPG
    Maximus Power and Jimo368 like this.
  3. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Griff2 thanks for the photos. Does this eliminate the up flow of air into the bottom of the helmet? Not sure this is going to cure my issue but maybe it will.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Hi Tman. The bag doesn't eliminate the airflow but it certainly deflects the turbulence away from the bottom of the helmet to a degree.
  5. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    D14EEE7A-BCED-4A1F-BDFE-E92911C647DE.jpeg I decided on the Sargent seat. I haven’t put more than a couple hours on it due to a recent shoulder injury but I haven’t experienced any pain or numbness. I like the smooth surface compared to the grippy stock seat and I think it looks better too. I think a long ride is in order. I also put on some SW-motec bar back risers and they are an improvement as well. The stock cables and hoses work, although the clutch hose is tight. Buffeting isn’t excessive with the screen I adapted from the Gen 1 Strom but I will try a tank bag as others have mentioned
    4tracker likes this.
  6. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Does Sargent offer a version of the higher stock-seat?
  7. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I don’t believe so but I think they do some custom work.
  8. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How far back were you able to move the bars back? Got a link to the risers please?
  9. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
  10. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    Has anyone altered or modded the clutch lever or plunger to change when the clutch engages?

It's not a big deal but IMO the clutch disengages too soon from full out. I guess that's just the way hydraulic clutches are but I would change it if I can.
  11. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Mr. Goodkat likes this.
  12. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    Thank you! It sounds like one or two millimetres aught to do it. I don't want too much freeplay either.
  13. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    6B3B0982-DADB-4570-B1ED-1183F7683E79.jpeg I crossed the border into MN and a nice young lady at customs never even asked me to remove my helmet but said “nice little bike” I never thought of my Strom as little before.
    rauchman, dtysdalx2 and Hanz like this.
  14. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I suppose in comparison to Goldwings and big Harleys and the like it is quite small. I have always been of the opinion that it is a compact motorcycle. Tbh its not really any bigger than the 650.
  15. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At work I park next to a co-worker who rides a Victory Vision. In comparison, the DL1000 looks small.
    (On the other hand, another co-worker rides a TW200).
  16. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    After many years riding a DL650. Last year, I bought a new 1000XT. Being height challenged, I had struggled with the bike at a stand still fully loaded.

I have just fitted some lowering links to the rear suspension. Lowering the rear by 1". I have lowered the front forks by 3/4". I think this is about as far as i can go. I wondering will the front mudguard hit the radiator under hard braking.

My question is. How much can you safely raise the forks thought the triple clamps on the 1000?
  17. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that great info. I have always wanted to move the engagement closer to the handlebars and this is a great, no cost way to do it. Looking forward to doing the mod and reaping the benefits.
    Thanks
  18. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    So I just bought a 2014 V-Strom 1000 from another inmate. When I got it, I was concerned that buffeting would be a potential issue and my plan was to spend money until it went away. It seems, however, that either I'm not getting any or maybe I don't know what physical sensations buffeting is supposed to produce. I've read countless descriptions of buffeting that mentioned things like "stuck my head in a paint shaker", "like being punched in the face", and even "like a hand pushing on the back of my helmet". Seems like that sort of thing would be pretty hard to miss but it just feels to me like any other motorcycle I've ridden. I'm 6' 4" and keep what I assume is the stock screen in the lowest position. So I have no idea why it's different for me. Attached is a picture because who doesn't like pictures? I added the Aprilia mirrors because I couldn't stand those big dorky square things. Made me look like I was riding a moose.

Edit: I am unable to reproduce the sensation of buffeting even at triple digit speeds.

[​IMG]
    rauchman and hawkgt like this.
  19. hawkgt

hawkgt Daydreaming

Oddometer:
    Same mirrors for me, I feel they helped reduce the buffeting.
  20. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    That's what I've read about them. Seems to be one of first things people do to reduce buffeting. I wasn't even getting buffeting with the stock mirrors, though. I just bought them because I like the way they look. Turns out that they provide a better view of what's behind you or at least it seems that way to me.
    MarkVeeMarkADV likes this.