2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    My guess is it's not as big an issue as the internet amplifies.
    Obviously it's very real for quite a few people as I've read so many threads on solving the problem.

My experience is the same as yours. I'm 6'1", and have the tall seat, if that makes any difference. But I've never felt anything out of what I'd expect a motorcycle to feel like. Stock screen works great for me, keeps the force of the wind off my body and allows some air to my helmet. I can't stand windshields that create a perfectly still bubble of air behind them.

Generally I don't speak up on these topics as I don't have anything to offer, but if you're wondering why it's different for you I think it probably works fine for a lot of us. I suppose we should just be thankful :D
    Motor7 likes this.
  2. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely happy when I get the opportunity to not spend more money. No complaints here.
    Desert Dave likes this.
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both my 650 and 1000 with Givi screens are the quietest bikes I've ever owned.

Stock, yeah a bit noisy but if you are 5'11 there is a known cure.
    Mr. Goodkat and 996DL like this.
  4. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    A long introductory note…..

I purchased a used 2018 vstrom 1000 with 1200 miles a few weeks ago for a song. Pic is from Big Springs MO – heading home from our 1st trip, a tour of Mississippi Blues museums, bars, & jook joints. I offer some background & a few observations after this 1900 mile jaunt.

Previous bikes:
    1998 Ducati ST2 (great bike, should not have let it go)
    2002 Ducati ST4s (the one that tried to kill me)
    2002 BMW r1150gs (loved that bike. again, should not have sold it)
    2008 Vstrom 650 (bulletproof, but bored me to tears)
    2008 KLR650 (a tractor I never bonded with)

This V is quicker than the ST2 & the GS (big jesses didn't help). Although it doesn’t track like the Ducatis, it is very nimble, stable, & predictable in the twisties. Obviously it doesn’t have the pull your arms off acceleration of the ST4s, but this is a good thing for this old man. The GS really did well also, but the V gives more feedback than the telalever front GS (even with ohlins front&back). Nothing can match the full ohlins on the ST4s. The V seems less top heavy than the GS – it is certainly lighter overall. At triple digits with no wind the V feels as stable as the GS but not as much as the Ducatis. With wind the V front seems to get lighter & the bike moves a bit, but nothing worrisome. The V ABS is on par with the GS in straightline application. I haven’t done enough trail braking to evaluate its performance in a turn. The stock windscreen works fine for me – no buffeting or excess wind noise. The traction control has not kicked in yet & I have yet to play with adjusting the suspension (which seems near spot-on for my 5’9” 195 body).

Some nicks&niggles:
    - I hate the grippy seat, but will likely adapt. It is a bit hard, but after 200 miles it is time to fuel up. I wish this had a 2 piece seat like the GS so I could remove the passenger piece & use the space for a small utility box.
    - Heat from exhaust pipe near can is noticeable tooling around town. I will likely fashion one unless someone knows of a heat shield to fit around & over the exhaust valve.
    - Low speed throttle response is snappy, but manageable.
    - Handlebars need a bit more back angle, but this too is manageable.
    - Heated grips should be standard.
    - Overall, I like the aesthetics, but the poor color coordination really detracts from its visual appearance. It looks like someone was designing a transformer….. A silver grab rail on a black framed bike just looks bad. The grey tank plastic doesn’t go well w/ the black piece at the sides of the radiator. Eventually I will likely “murder” the tank, rail, & plastic bits….

Outfitted with Kappa 46l top box & Givi tanklock. Heed crash bars, Happy Trails skid plate, RoxRisers, & steel lines to be installed this week. Tool tubes to be mounted at pannier attachment. Could they make a more obtrusive can? It has to go soon….

It is a great bike for me. Arguably a better bike than my old GS - for the money it is a better value than the newer GS's. Gives me grins i haven't had since riding my Ducatis. For a big bike it is very nimble at low speeds, quick enough, will cruise at high speeds all day, & great fun in the twisties. We’ll see about off-roading later in the fall…..

2019-09-13 10.15.31.jpg Ride safe & be good kids!
    Bad Dad, 4tracker, cwmattox and 4 others like this.
  5. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Couple of pics from a recent trip to the Dolomites.........

IMG_5003m.JPG
    IMG_5015.JPG
    IMG_5035m.JPG
    IMG_5177m.JPG
  6. Maximus Power

Maximus Power Bubby, you can call me Max

Oddometer:
    A348C1F2-EE89-4771-89C1-11DE9706F174.jpeg 4108F77C-0F02-4763-826A-30C852DB5378.jpeg 807CB7BB-4CCA-4CDB-A3A1-537A7F4AA4D0.jpeg E1B4957C-33B7-49D8-A5F3-9077908BAC57.jpeg 147DF496-7A95-4525-87E4-D314A20D96A1.jpeg 1AF5B2DB-E72D-467B-936C-899916B1B2A3.jpeg 907EFBE6-C6F5-45A1-94CC-45861E0616EE.jpeg ECC5339E-8451-499F-BE8D-54843E04A4AC.jpeg 10BC6EAC-EF46-4C8A-B094-13EBEF3CB0F1.jpeg Just did our second weekend long trip of the year, this time chasing bikeridermark and friends around the boonies of eastern Ky. Had a blast and even stumbled upon Loretta Lynn’s childhood home way back in butcher holler. Good fun.
    Bad Dad, fanbelt, Mr. Goodkat and 5 others like this.
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're a tall guy, plus buffeting isn't as big an issue on 2nd gen 1000s... so you're probably in the clear (clear air, that is). If you don't feel it, don't go looking for it!
    cwmattox likes this.
  8. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Griff2, Thanks for the pics.I am still searching for relief from buffeting coming from underneath the handle bars. Played with a tank bag for w little bit but that ain't helping me much. Have read mirrors/mirror extenders may help but was looking back at the pics and saw handguards. Can you or anyone tell me if they help or not? I think it is going to be a multi step process. I also realize that most people don't have this issue either. Seems most people the shield seems to take care of their issue,but don't think it will help me.
  9. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anybody replaced their clutch lever with something that offers more adjustability. I was looking to get my engagement closer to the handlebar. If anybody has a link to something???
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't help. Well not much. The problem is that the pin between the lever and hydraulics is too long.

1) Steal a clutch slave from a late model GS, theirs has an adjuster. Though lurking around the local Starbucks with spanners in hand could get you in trouble.
    2) Take the pin out and grind it down some. (1-2mm). Too much and the clutch will cease to disengage.

I compromised, ground around 1mm off the pin and added shorty levers which decreased the reach I needed to work the clutch and come in flatter to the bars so I could use more adjustment range.
  11. Weevrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the shorty levers?
  12. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, just found them on eBay. I don't think there's much need to be fussy other than making sure they are for your year. I wasn't caring much at the time, the annoyance at the clutch reach overwhelmed my concerns at risking $15.
  13. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I installed shorty levers and I like them but be aware that putting them on the closest setting didn’t allow the starter interlock to engage because there isn’t enough travel. It had me scratching me head for a couple seconds why the engine wouldn’t turn over.
  14. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue with the shorty levers on my '18 1k. On the first setting, the clutch switch doesn't make contact. For now I've just been using them in the next position, which doesn't really bother me. One day I'll get bored enough to take the lever off and fix it, one way or another.

I've ordered the same levers for the last 3 or 4 bikes I've had, sometimes before I even have possession of the bike. Shorty adjustable levers are the best bang for the buck upgrade you can get IMHO.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  15. Weevrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Do you have a link to your shorty levers?
  16. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. ricerooster

ricerooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother just purchased a 2019 Vstrom 1000xt as his first big ADV bike and myself a 2018 Tenere. We're both new to ADV riding off road, so here's a short video us out in the wild recently.

rauchman, Bad Dad, GS750T and 3 others like this.
  18. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    I found out too, the hard way replacing clutch switch . my friend played with position and discovered my now
    anti theft /anti start clutch position. amen.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  19. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    Another inmate and I did about 20 miles of so of trail and forest roads yesterday. Was a blast, but god damn the Vstrom is a big bike off road :imaposer
    Bad Dad and cwmattox like this.
  20. Maximus Power

Maximus Power Bubby, you can call me Max

Oddometer:
    Gave it a shot. Still gotta smooth the edges. Will try it out soon. Have cheap mirror extenders in route to experiment with.

6376329A-5821-4455-A2E8-41BF07AE13A5.jpeg 1A9959FD-916A-4E02-8A6A-30557E31955F.jpeg
    RobG. and MeefZah like this.