2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With my commute, I have to fill-up every other day. When it gets parked for the night...it’s generally on a full tank (night before day one of that tank) or its on half a tank.

We have had some interesting temperature fluctuations though. It’ll be in the 20’s in the morning and 50’s in the afternoon one day and in the 50’s in the morning and 60’s in the afternoon the next.

Despite the convenience of my regular fill up spot (have to go right past it on my way home each evening), I’ll have to try another gas station for a month or so and see if that makes a difference.
  2. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something you should take to your dealer, but in the meantime I would disconnect the battery and see what happens.
  3. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made an appointment with the dealer, but I won’t be able to get to them until next weekend. If it happens again in the meantime, I’ll park it..but just hoping to nurse it along until then.

From what the service department said, the codes are stored, so they should be able to pull the issue up even with the light being out. I’d rather not disconnect the battery, on the off chance that impacts them being able to recover the error code(s).

Edit: Forgot that I have Monday off. They’ll be able to check it out then.
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to get a throttle lock on my '18, and am looking for input. I'm trying to decide between the Kaoko and the ATLAS. At first glance, I think I prefer the Kaoko, and can get one designed specifically for the bike with OEM handguards, but I've got some bar end mirrors that I modified to fit on the spacer bit between the handguards and the grips

[​IMG]

Not knowing exactly how the Kaoko mounts, does anyone here have one and can they provide a picture? I'm thinking it wouldn't likely work with how my mirrors are currently set up. I could modify the bar ends to accept the mirrors, which I think could get me the clearance I need, but was hoping to figure that out before shelling out $150 for the unit.

Any advice, or thoughts from owners of either unit?
  5. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    MityF,

that is an interesting mirror set up...
    what is the view like? i think i'd be seeing a lot of my arms.....
    what mods were required?
    will the arm rotate up so the mirrors ride at the top or above the handguards?

cheers,
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bar end mirrors are one of the first things I put on all of my bikes, and have been doing so for about a decade. It's the opposite of what you fear... lots of people add extenders or other things to get their mirrors further out, so they don't just see their shoulders. Bar ends are inherently mounted further out, and all I see is what I WANT to see; traffic. Yes, they have a smaller area, but because they're placed more appropriately than "regular" mirrors, it's not an issue, at least for me. Another benefit is the lack of buffeting. I know a lot of people complain about mirrors causing this (although I've never really experienced it on any of my bikes before), but bar ends are smaller and less "in the wind" than regular mirrors, so this is really a non-issue. Also, because they're not sticking out on a ridiculously long mount, they don't vibrate or shake like traditional units. For me personally, it's a no-brainer, and I still don't understand why people use regular mirrors instead of bar ends. I haven't found any downsides.

These particular mirrors only required a bit of thin rubber as a shim (I'll turn a proper bit on the lathe sooner or later) and mounted right to the spacer bit in between the grip and the handguard. No real "mods" required. Took all of 20 minutes to install, most of which was trimming my bit of rubber to fit just right. It may be hard to see in the pic, but the mirrors are already above the handguards, but just barely. The less wind they catch the better. You could rotate them out 180* too, so they stick OUT toward the bar end instead of IN toward the grip to get them in an even better position, but here in Cali I like to save every inch of width on my bike possible for filtering. It also protects them in the event of... your bars hitting the ground.

You can get a fairly decent set on fleabay for about $25-30, and they're easy to fit (although aftermarket bark busters or the like can complicate things). Give it a shot, you might be surprised. After using them for the last 10 years, I know I'll never go back to regular mirrors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had these on my '04 650 for the last... I dunno, 7 years? They've worked spectacularly, better perhaps than the set I put on my new 1k, but I couldn't find another pair like them to buy for the new bike.

[​IMG]
    ishmac and rauchman like this.
  7. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Love mine. Best bike I've owned in 50 years of riding. I'm 6'-4" and I've put very little into getting it set up for my height.
  8. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    MiteyF,

thanks for the informative write-up & pics!

- my goal is not to reduce buffeting - it's not an issue for me either....
    - visibility is not an issue - the stock mirrors provide reasonable rear-view & i habitually look over my shoulder before maneuvering in traffic....
    - rather, i cannot find handguard extensions to fit & i am thinking your setup might provide a bit more wind protection over the handguards (a lot of chilly&damp riding here in the midwest)...
    - i have never had bar-end mirrors & i am curious to see what visibility is like...
    - reduced vibration is certainly a plus & the aesthetics are pretty cool...

...on to amazon/ebay for some browsing....

thanks again...
  9. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rivco anti vibration highway pegs with Rivco clamps mounted onto Givi crash bars. I'm going to adjust the position as there is no good position to mount them too.

IMG_20200121_074932.jpg
    squonker likes this.
  10. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I reinstalled my ECU received back from 2 Wheel Dynoworks in Kirkland, WA. They did a flash for me, addressing my concerns of: 1) lean running due to install of Arrow Racing collector and MIVV slip-on, 2) perceived loss of low-mid range power/torque after OEM ECU recall. All my concerns seem to be fixed and I also am realizing a much smoother throttle with small throttle opening and transition on/off. Much more betterer!!! Highly recommended, fast turn around, $265 special still running I think.
    IDRIDR likes this.
  11. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do they have dyno results of their v-strom runs with flash mods or is this a un-documented datalogger re-flash?
  12. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would have to contact them with your question. I used them based on a personal recommendation from a trusted mechanic, so I did not investigate. I frankly really don't care, since the results are the fueling that should have been there all along. I realize that EPA requirements can make it difficult for OEMs.
    B-Mac likes this.
  13. billyal33

billyal33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checked my valve clearances with 30k miles, all inlets on minimum 0.10mm ( spec is 0.10mm to 0 20mm) two exhausts about 0.22mm and two tight on the 0 20mm gauge which is the minimum (0.20 to 0.30mm). So cams pulled out, shims measured and ordered, hopefully rebuilt soon.
    A bit time consuming but an easy enought bike to do and it'll be easier and faster next time now i know what shim sizes are in there.
    Hanz and 2thdrinOR like this.
  14. riverover

riverover n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have pictures of their bike with sw motech sys 30 bags ? Thanks
  15. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think these are the 30s 20161120_145956.jpg 20161115_111806.jpg
  16. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    You actually put a milk crate on a Vstrom?
    Barnaby'sDad, Redoubt and Jimo368 like this.
  17. billyal33

billyal33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checked the throttle body balance and the throttle position senor today now I've the bike up and running, all ok no adjustment needed, not bad that there still ok in 5 years and 30k miles!
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  18. riverover

riverover n00b

Oddometer:
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    B-Mac likes this.
  20. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing your talking about the liners? They are soft. I've never used them. Now that you mentioned it I don't know what I've done with them. The box's are water tight and I detach them and carry them into the motel room.