2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Nibbler

Nibbler n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, long time lurker so I know the sigs and respect your experience and expertise. Not having a go at Suzuki or the V2 either.

But rust was far in excess of what is acceptable on a 5 year old bike. (Brother's 30y.o. no favors done, R65 had minimal rust to forks.
    I had FZ750 in UK in salt roads and gloom, lived outdoors with no cover and little cleaning for 12 years without problem.)
    My V2 was kept outside (bike cover about half of that) and given some attention to cleaning (neither concours nor total neglect).
    Little use in rain or on dirt roads. Temperate climate away from salty sea air. Location of corrosion is inner surface of both fork legs,
    but this area is hardly vulnerable to scratches from gravel. Inner surface is difficult to see as fork leg shrouding obscures it.
    Didn't notice corrosion until recent fork seal leak. Been riding for 40 years (incl. several old bikes) and never seen anything like this.
    Late 2014 manufacture, purchased new from showroom July 2015. The damage is done, just wondering why ? Cheers, Craig *
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I desire to officially renounce my first few statements. I ordered the tool from NoMar and sure as shit, when I readjusted everything using it, there was an audible "click" as the fork apparently snicked back into correct alignment / orientation.

Thanks for the education.
    2thdrinOR and Griff2 like this.
  3. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more I remain teachable the better I get. Good on you brother
  4. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess. The aux lights are metal and the incoming ground is internally connected to the metal case. The battery or starter ground is dubious so a lot of current is passing through the ground of the lights and that's what's causing the corrosion.

Your steering head bearings will also be looking sick.

I also have a 2014 V2, is in a coastal area and no signs of the same. Electrochemical corrosion has eaten cars, fork legs, not a problem.

Only a guess, but it's not typical of these bikes and deep pits wouldn't even be explained by dodgy chrome.
    V-Tom likes this.
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    And to check that, take both aux lights off and hang them where they can't touch the bike, get a multimeter connect it between the metal of the aux light and the chassis.

Turn the power on, start the bike, turn the lights on, check both lights. Meter should read 0A no matter what. Start at the highest range first and work down so you don't fry the meter. Even low mA will do this given enough time.
  6. USMC_Engineer

USMC_Engineer E-A-G-L-E-S

Oddometer:
  7. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking about getting the Suzuki tall seat for my ‘18 1000XT - wanting a little more leg room and the price is great (I also want to keep the yellow seat, even though it is a pain to keep clean, a plus with the factory tall seat coming in yellow)

The only concern I had is I really like the upper body ergos, stock windshield works well for me, handlebar is good as well.

I’m wondering if a tall seat will lead to bar risers, leading to a larger windscreen, etc. as I’m leaning forward more or head in the wind more.

And leg space is fine now, I’m not super cramped, just would be nice to have a little more.

Has anyone found that? That adding a tall seat throws the bar/windshield ratio out of whack?

For reference I’m 6’1” and I know ergos are subjective, just curious if I’m thinking about it too much. Thanks!
  8. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" and the tall seat concepts seat actually improved the performance of the windscreen (also aftermarket: vstream with an extra wind deflector). Do you have footpeg lowering blocks installed? If not, then that might give you the extra legroom you're looking for, without mucking up the wind management. They're also a lot cheaper than a new seat :)
    ripngrip likes this.
  9. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Before trying a taller seat, install a footpeg lowering kit. Adventuretech.biz has these for cheap. Windshield, bar relationship stays the same. You lose very little clearance in turns with this kit.
    ripngrip likes this.
  10. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, the lowering blocks at $55 seem like a great deal, and good place to start!
  11. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have big boots...it’s worth getting the kit with the extended shifter plate too. For people with a size ~12+ boot...it makes for more comfortable shifting.

All in...I think it was maybe $75 for the lower foot pegs + extended shifter kit.
    pvwheeler likes this.
  12. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    I wear size 13 and never had any trouble with the stock shifter length and the lowering blocks, but as always YMMV.
    ripngrip likes this.
  13. ripngrip

ripngrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got smaller feet, size 10, so I think I should be ok with just the lowering blocks. Good stuff!
  14. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    After a million miles (ok, actually only 180,000 or so) with stock mirrors, the last 30k with mirror extenders, I decided to try the Doubletake Mirrors.

I've always pretty much hated the stock mirrors, but just sort of accepted that they were what they were.

I was finally swayed by the interview with the founder / owner / HMFIC of Doubletake here on ADV plus the 10% off offer.

I got 1 enduro for my WR250R (those factory mirrors really blow) and 2 adventure mirrors for my DL.

So far... I like them. They aren't really aesthetically pleasing (read: I think they are ugly) but they are supremely functional and infinitely adjustable, and allegedly unbreakable. They give a very good view and stay locked in place even on rough roads. Plus you can fold them in for those times you just anticipate that a particular trail will lead to a drop. Also not advertised, but they should be rustproof (is anyone else's mirror stem rusting away?) I also am kind of a nerd for RAM mounts and these things are basically just RAM mounted mirrors.

I did have to relocate my heated grip switch as it used to live on the mirror base mounts but interfered with the RAM arm. I made a bracket to basically move it over one inch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rauchman likes this.
  15. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    I've run them on my dual sports...good product. I dig your American Flag stickers!
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Like a fighter plane! And gotta run them in the correct orientation... I lose my mind when people have the right side one with the stars facing back...
  17. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Flag etiquette is a thing of the past. Some of my neighbors fly flags, but they fly them 24 hrs a day with no light on the flag at night...grrr.
  18. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Dislike!
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    How are they with regard to airflow. Some folks blame the stock mirrors for buffeting around the helmet ? I reduced that somewhat with the 2018 screen on my 2016 but have not eliminated it.
  20. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Seem the same
    Griff2 likes this.