2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good move, Mosko stuff is awesome!
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  2. windyhill

windyhill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Turns out it was wrecked pretty bad and rebuilt, so I’ll keep looking.
    Jimo368 and AdventureTrail like this.
  3. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Didn't make much sense unless it was a forgotten dealer demo unit...
  4. Hanz

Hanz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer. If you find one you like, buy it. I love mine.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  5. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HELMET BUFFETING
    I have posted here before on this issue and realize I am in the minority. My buffeting is coming up from underneath the handlebars. I have tried different settings on the stock windscreen and that didn't help. I now have a tank bag on and that hasn't helped either. So now I am asking the masses if you think a set of handguards will help? I don't think a new windscreen will help since it is coming underneath the bars and not over top of screen. I am 5' 7" and have also added a Sargent low seat as well-so yeah I am on the short side. Has anyone else had this issue?
  6. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    I am your same height with a Sargent low seat, 2015 V-Strom 1000 with Bark Busters Storm hand guards, OEM wind screen. I have the factory ADV version of the bike so the windscreen may be different shape or dimensions from the base model, but if different, it's not much. I have never had buffeting complaints regardless of which position the windscreen is set to. I would suggest to you to try a different helmet. I have been using a Shoei GT Air (version 1 and now 2) for several years. If the GT Air shape fits your head, they are a quiet, superior helmet that limits air coming into the helmet from below. I don't know your riding experience, but it is possible your current helmet is not bad, but not fitted properly and is either slightly too large or the wrong shape for your noggin. A cheap thing to try would be a helmet "gaiter" that fits around the base of the helmet to seal the opening around your neck. Not a good solution if your helmet fits poorly, but ok if the helmet design is letting in too much wind from below.
    P.S. I also run a medium small tank bag, but makes no difference with or without
  7. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a V Stream windscreen and a Shoei Neotec 2 and the combination created the worst buffeting I’ve had on the bike. I had to switch back to the windscreen I adapted from an another bike. I also made small deflectors below the windscreen and I think they helped. My Arai XD3 is quieter than the Shoei as well. The stock screen wasn’t too bad but I was also getting more overall wind blast. It seems results are all over the map for every user.

Attached Files:

8. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks 2thdrinOR. All good suggestions. Been riding since I was 12 years old and can always learn new stuff. Yes I have tried 2 different Shoei helmets, Aria, Bell, Bilt, and 2 different HJC helmets. Currently riding with an HJC. Have done the bacalava and have a helmet skirt. Have added extension to the skirt. If skirt is outside of jacket it will blow up around the helmet. If tucked in, it lets too much cold air inside my jacket. Summer time I just dealt with it, but now it is starting to get colder looking for another option. Dosen't seem to bee one at this point. We will keep trying. Have owned dirt bikes, standered, cafe style and sport tourers and this is the first bike I have owned that has given me this issue.
  9. Tman00

Tman00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jimo368. Looks like I may have to try and fabricate something as well. Seem to have all other issues sorted out but this one. Really like the bike-this is my second V and it hits all the buttons for me except this.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  10. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is confounding! If I was you I would be really frustrated! I can't think of anything else...
    Where are you located?
  11. hawkgt

hawkgt Where to and when?

Oddometer:
    I experienced less buffeting when I switched the stock mirrors out for Aprilia ones, and I think they look better.
    BlueRidgeKat likes this.
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    And bar end mirrors (which I always preach) will completely negate any mirror buffeting.
  13. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Right, bar end mirrors on an adventure bike...what could go wrong?
  14. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I don't know, never had a problem. They don't have to stick out past the bars, and I've gone down on bikes with them more than once, and never broken one in the last 10 years.

So in my experience... nothing.
  15. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Rizomas?
  16. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually different eBay versions. I've had some good, some not as good, but have yet to beak even one on any of my (or my wife's) last 5 or 6 bikes spanning over a decade.
  17. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't work for me with dirt naps...except the little zip tie ones I run sometimes on dual sports
  18. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do you. But for me, they give equal or better visibility, cause 0 buffeting, and survive all of the dirt and/or concrete naps/slides I throw at them. Oh, and they look better.
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I am 5'8" and my bike is a 2016. I had severe buffeting with the original screen. Some folks then suggested that the 2018 screen made a difference. I had also considered a Givi Airflow but it would be too tall for me. In the end I got the 2018 screen and it made a significant difference. Its not perfect but not nearly as bad as it was. I played around with the adjustments also and settled with it on the highest bolt on position.
  20. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer: