2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. windyhill

windyhill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I should have checked them out more thoroughly on another Strom they had. They do look good.
  2. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to see the bike that usually sits on that Husky mat...
  3. windyhill

windyhill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha, see avatar. Guess I’ll be updating that. The mat will stay, there may be a white 2T in the future.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I would concur with this advice. I had them and like many others had issues with the locking mechanism that I found difficult to sort out. In the end I gave them away.
  5. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    I'm currently lusting after an FE350...

For side boxes I went with Happy Trails out of Idaho. Cliff cut 7" Tetons with SU racks. The racks are unbelievably stout and dirt naps have not bent anything...
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Can't you just pull the sender unit and bend the float arm so it makes the resistor in the sensor read a fuller tank?
  7. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    So a little more about the Touratech Explore shock...like I mentioned it came setup perfectly for my riding weight, using 23 out of 64 available clicks of preload to attain 51mm of race sag (30% of total suspension travel). If the preload adjuster is linear, that also corresponds pretty closely with using about a third of the available adjustment. I should have more than enough preload adjustment remaining to get proper sag for two-up plus loaded for a trip. Very happy!
    davyjones and Hanz like this.
  8. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I can worth through how I’d do this without drilling holes, I’d give it a go.
  9. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2thdrinOR do you know what the static preload measurement is on your new shock? Ie fitted spring length against unfitted.
    Reason i ask is i have a Wilbers shock on my 14 im trying to set up. Wilbers have 15mm static preload on mine but it way to high for me, 90kg and as i have the remote preload fitted i need to remove the shock for each adjustment. I was thinkin of setting it at 10mm, just wondering what other makers set there's at. Cheers
  10. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I don't know how much preload they installed on the spring. I actually tried to ask that question before buying it. Since I was talking to a guy in Seattle and the shock was being put together in Europe, they really couldn't answer. Sorry man.
    billyal33 likes this.
  11. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Cheers anyway. I removed 3 full turns so its now about 10mm and i get 50mm of seated sag. Feels a bit soft but my rear tyre has 6k miles on it so kind of square! I'll get a new tyre and take it from there if i keep it next year. Just seen the new tracer gt and tiger sport and like both!!! But im mega tight so who knows! Cheers
  12. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Tracer GT is nice I would bet...I have a 2017 FZ-09 and the engine is a dream. At one point I was lusting after a Tiger 900 GT Pro... beautiful bike with lots of tech. Have you looked at the Tenere 700?
    So many bikes, so little time...
  13. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Need something for two up use, if i showed the wife that Tenere seat she stay at home! I'm ordering one first thing in the morning!!!!
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  14. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Just some thoughts on suspension. Over the years I must admit I have only ever looked seriously at sag on my offroad bikes. On my road bikes its seat of the pants, with adjustments until it feels right and then I note the settings and maintain them. I weigh about 80KG.

On my Strom two up with luggage the spring preload is turned up to the max.

Two up without luggage I back it off max about 10%

Solo I run my spring preload at about 75%

Compression and rebound damping I adjust for comfort depending on spring preload, but I usually have a base setting on them that only varies by a click or two.

My preference is for a quick steering motorcycle on twisty roads, so I generally lean towards "tail high". Needless to say if I was still bombing around at unethical speeds on bigger roads I would have to dispense somewhat with my tail high settings.

Last year the Strom took myself and Wife fully laden over about 2000Kms on some of the most demanding roads in Europe in the Alps and Dolomites. It handled impeccably despite being somewhat overloaded. (Wife only short of bringing the kitchen sink)

On forks I generally set them up after they have loosened out from new and then leave them alone.
    davyjones likes this.
  15. billyal33

Oddometer:
    I was more than happy with the oe shock (with Hyperpro spring fitted) for 4 years and 25k miles till it give up the ghost. Before on sports bikes I've bought Ohlins shocks, fitted them and they where perfect outa the box. The Wilbers i got was not so, to much preload combined with a 100nm spring and the bike was seriously high at the rear and very unstable over 70mph.
    It just annoys me that some companys done test their products in the bike . There is no way they could have tried this set up and said thats ok send it out.
    I wish now I'd got the oe shock rebuild or a secondhand one, live and learn
  16. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Just curious. When ordering the Wilbers were You requested to provide Your weight with gear etc ?
  17. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    This was my experience as well until one day it wasn't. I'm suspect the progression was gradual, but one day we were on a twisty road that I know we had ridden before (Oregon route 229 from Siletz to the coast) and the shock was seemingly, suddenly crap. The back end was as if I had replaced my shock with a Pogo stick. I suspected some type of seal failure but upon inspection externally there was no leakage of oil. New Touratech Explore shock seems perfect so far...
  18. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Does the ride height seem much increased? Sounds like it. I'm sure you have tried zero preload added, but have you backed out the rebound?
  19. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Yeah they asked my weight, riding style etc.
    My oe shock went the same way, no leaks but all over the place.
    Yes when i first fitted the Wilbers in was mega high, i was tippy toe and im 6ft. I should have measured it then but didn't .
    I removed one full turn but it was no better. Now I've removed 3 full turns and its getting there. Its a remoto preload and i have it on zero. Trying to get a base setting that suits me with no preload added to the remoto then i have 10mm to add if her indoors wants out!
    Winter setting in here now so not much time to try it out and my rear tyre is well passed its best. I'll get there in the end but i think for the money spent it should have been better.
  20. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Obviously as You say something went wrong internally and I have no doubt that this will also happen with mine at some point eventually. Then I will probably consider Wilbers again because my previous experience with one on my former Triumph Explorer was positive.