2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Imho some mistake was made at the factory with regard to spec. My experience with Wilbers on my former Triumph Explorer was very positive and it functioned perfectly. On that bike I also had to factor in a pillion and luggage and even with that they got the springing right.
  2. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The spring is ok, i fitted a 95nm and it was better at slow speed but to soft at speed so back to the 100nm.
    I was just wondering when i heard another owner had a new shock what static preload other makers had set there's at, i know that depends on load etc.
    My friend said 15mm static was high, more than he would use on a race bike but then again the strom is no racer, neither am i! He said not to play with it any more till i get a new tyre fitted as my old one is to far gone now. Ive dropped the static preload till 10mm on his advice and see how it goes next year now i guess. Might get the oe shock rebuilt over winter just in case.
  3. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was surprised at just about 16k miles. Oh well, that's really the only thing that has given me trouble with the old girl...she's a good, reliable bike.
    Griff2 likes this.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    No doubt about that. I expect to have mine for a very long time.
  5. windyhill

windyhill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just mounted up the Suzuki side case set. When mounting up the rear bar that ties the racks together is seems too short and squeezes the bushings out of alignment. Otherwise really nice, no issues with the locks so far...As an old dirt biker, it seems like I’m missing a chain guide!

C4548CED-ACE5-4E0C-879E-0C71C5B3A40B.jpeg FF1ADB20-88AB-4FE4-A665-CBBCDA508E33.jpeg
  6. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:

Thats a different system to the one that I got. Under the circumstances scratch my comment regarding locking issues.
    davyjones likes this.
  7. Hanz

Hanz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't recognize it either. I didn't have that setup on mine.

Enjoy it Windyhill!
    davyjones likes this.
  8. riverover

riverover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The kick stand has 2 springs and the lighter weight one disconnected .......i can't identify the hookup spots to keep the stand close to the safety switch.
  9. riverover

riverover Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. riverover

riverover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe the springs both hook up to the same places but the stand is floppy when its up and wont push the safety switch in far enough.
  11. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Yes, Botha ends are connected to same location. 51308C96-F006-42AC-9DBF-636E11A65514.jpeg
  12. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:

I'm looking at a leftover 18 as well but it's the yellow and black version. Would put a Sargent seat on it so that part of the yellow would be gone and some large black tank pads should cover enough of the yellow that I could live with it, especially at the low price of a leftover 18.

13. BlueRidgeKat

Oddometer:

Did the same thing on my 650 and the buffeting is gone.

14. BlueRidgeKat

Oddometer:
    This is a question for those of you with XT and XT Adventures with spoke wheels/tubeless tires.
    I have only had bikes with cast wheels, two V-Strom 650's and a 700 GS and when changing the front sprocket I use the bar method.... place a bar under the two swingarms and through the wheel to keep it from moving then loosen the front sprocket nut with a ratchet and socket. So how do you guys/girls do it with the spoke wheels??

15. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the past I have used R/Brake, in gear on Pavement using a ratchet but now I use electric impact= old and lazy
    ROYAL COACHMAN and 996DL like this.
  16. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I also use an electric impact.
    ROYAL COACHMAN and V-Tom like this.
  17. BlueRidgeKat

Oddometer:

Were two people involved?...one holds the rear brake and one operates the ratchet or did you lock the rear brake down somehow?

18. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, That's why I got married. They can also help when checking suspension sag and chain tension. (YMMV):thumb
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  19. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you need to do is straddle the bike and use one foot in the brake and one foot on the breaker bar.
    B-Mac likes this.
  20. Jeff 8

Jeff 8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which centre stand: genuine Suzuki or SW Motech? The price is the same for both. Or the cheaper Givi?