2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Hanz

Hanz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the Suzuki and have no complaints. But, I don't have anything to compare it to.
    ROYAL COACHMAN and Jeff 8 like this.
  2. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki for me too...never a problem in 5 years. Sturdy, no rust.
    ROYAL COACHMAN and Jeff 8 like this.
  3. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    Brought home a new old stock 2018 1000XT last night :clap

[​IMG]
    windyhill, 2thdrinOR, Hanz and 3 others like this.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Good move !
    JoshM likes this.
  5. Southern Ural

Southern Ural Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chelyabinsk, Southern Ural, Russia, Earth
    This is my first motorcycle that has been able to give me a brain concussion.
    While winter is, I wanna get some solution. What kind of progressive coil springs could I bought for the fork and for rear?
    I am willing to sacrifice off-road performance for better comfort on asphalt.

Sorry, guys, I can't read all the topic, because I must earn money for these new springs :)
  6. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a Hyperpro rear spring on my oe shock for 25k miles, worked a treat for me but never got the front springs.
    I did get a Wilbers rear shock and fork springs when my oe shock give up the ghost but I removed the fork springs again pretty quick as they where to firm and I prefer the oe shock with Hyperpro over the Wilbers to for the same reason.
    Don't get me wrong if your riding it like you stole it the Wilbers is good but slow down to normal speed and comfort is gone.
  7. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    One aspect that will help is to back off the compression damping on the fork completely, and the rebound damping almost completely. That made a difference on mine. Perhaps also your shock spring preload is too low and the shock is squatting ?
  8. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    The first thing you need to do is get out your owners manual, set the preload, compression and rebound clickers to stock settings. Then get a buddy to help you set race (rider) sag. If you don't know what that is or how to do it, Race Tech and other places have videos and how tos. Once your race sag is set to be in the middle third of the suspension travel, then you are ready to adjust compression and rebound to your liking and comfort. If you can't get proper race sag settings (about 50mm) then you are likely too heavy for the stock springs and will need to upgrade spring(s).
    Race sag should be set to full riding weight of you, your riding gear, and any luggage you normally carry.
    B-Mac likes this.
  9. Southern Ural

Southern Ural Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HyperPro|Wilbers - because you in Europe or because of real quality?

Well, it is interesting... REAL interesting!
    I'll try it for my fork! I was in doubt about compression/rebound screws and didn't want to unscrew them completely. I thought I could faced with swing, like it has been occur with rear shock.

As we say, "Russians not read user manuals" :)
    OK, now I start to think that I myself became the source of my problem :)
    Really, I only 175 cm height and first day I took a key and unscrew regulators of preload on the fork and on rear shock. "I ride alone without luggage", I thought...
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a comment, my 2014 DL1000 is the first stock bike I've owned where I haven't hated the suspension. Less Vodka, more care should solve your problems ;)
  11. Southern Ural

Southern Ural Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That DL is not my first adventure bike :)
    I had DL650, Multistrada 1200, R1200GS, Tiger 800 XRx and other non-adventure bikes. I like to trying :)
    Vodka... Eh... If my pancreatitis would let me drink vodka...
  12. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pay attention to tire pressures as well.
    Had 800 miles on mine when I picked it up, clickety click back to factory settings still felt off.
    Previous owner had 50 rear, 48 front way too much air!
    Adjusted tire pressure 42 rear 36 front much better.
  13. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Tbh I believe 42 rear is far too much for solo riding. Accordingly I run 36 front and 38 rear solo. I only use 42 rear for two up.
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  14. Southern Ural

Southern Ural Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometime I done one trip on my R1200GS to Ekaterinburg and back, 250 km in each direction, when it was rainy snow and only +5..7 C.
    Where asphalt became in beton I felt some instability...
    When I been at home I had looked at a pressure and got terrible feeling. Only 21 PSI in each tire :)
    Should I say that I went to my local dealer for a full motorcycle test?
    Our salvation is only our business, alas!
    P.S. However, the suspension was very soft! :)))
  15. Southern Ural

Southern Ural Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And another one question ...
    Who had try to set a riser for handlebar?
    What about tension of all cables and hoses?
    I'd try the one, with take off up and rear, and got a fail.
    Now I bought SW-Motech with only rising up to 15 mm.
    What can I wait?
  16. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I put the SW motec bar back and up about 1” riser. I didn’t like it and took it off after two weeks. I didn’t like the feeling of it off center. I didn’t find it any more comfortable either. The cables were tight but worked ok.
  17. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    You can gain some slack in the lines for a riser up to about 1.5" by pulling off the top triple clamp and moving the lines behind the fork tubes. It's a job easiest with two people. It's a marginal workaround. I had mine like that for a couple of years and went back to stock. I just sit closer to the tank...works for a short guy.
  18. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do move your cables, do yourself a favor and take the front wheel off first..........
    It wasn’t that bad as a one man show other then the wheel thing.
  19. Southern Ural

Southern Ural Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hm... And what you all think about my saddle, on my avatar?
    I bought my bike from a Japan auction, and japanese seat is not like ones for Europe or US\Canada - it have another partnumber. Maybe it lower, for japanese "percentile".
    But I didn't damage this original. I find the used one and ordered to make it more comfortable and usable with AirHawk (more flatter).
    When I owned V-Strom 650, I also had have two saddles, and it was very usable for cold mornings. It was more fun to change a seat then scratched frost from seat :)
    For your understanding, I live at latitude like as on half way between Washington state and Alaska, but our climate is more continental. Sometimes -35 F at winter and up to +105 F at summer :)
  20. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Trying to find out what the spring rate is for the OEM fork spring on a '14 DL1000. Anybody?

Searches keep bringing me to everything aftermarket with nor reference to stock