2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:

Since when do motorcycle guys need to ask to start a conversation about motorcycle things??

I always appreciate insight or even just good moto talk

I'm getting ready to freshen up my suspension and I'm seriously considering bone stock. I can't get over how perfect the stock suspension has worked for me. Everytime I "upgrade" suspension seems it's always a stiffer ride. People complain about mushy forks. I get it, pushing it in fast high speed stuff my bike is loose to. BUT I don't go fast in much of the high speed stuff anymore. Usually if I'm on the edge of my tires it's in tight twisties with usually pretty rough surfaces, and the stock suspension eats that up. Anything sporty at all and seems I have a wheel or two in the air while leaned over....

I suppose I could slow down
  2. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put Wilbers front and rear on mine, removed the front springs after a few months as they where just to firm for me.
    The bike was great if you where going for it but to harsh the rest(most) of the time. The rear shock is still in the bike for now, but it is much firmer also. If I was buying again I'd try the Hyperpro set up as I think the progressive springs might be better at giving the support and comfort I was lookin for but never got with the Wilbers set up.
  3. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you...the stock suspenders worked well for me until they didn't. I accommodated to the brake dive as a trade off for the plush ride. However at about 15k miles the rear started pogoing on curvy/up and down stuff while two up. I replaced the shock with a Touratech Explore model and have been extremely happy. The forks are still acceptable but I should service them and maybe increase the oil viscosity a bit.
  4. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Perfectly put!

My rear shock is done, and I've been riding around the pogo a bit, but it's time to fix. Forks were SO good originally. A little brake dive can help trail braking ;)

While many see the plush as just a comfort thing, the roads I go swift on I can adapt to a little loose easy enough, but airborne wheels have extremely low traction lol
  5. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Exactly...I hadn't really used trail braking consistently until I experienced the benefits on the V-Strom. The compliant front is awesome for rough roads, keeping the tire in contact with the surface more than ultra stiff suspension would. Think the "Lost Coast" ride...
    Desert Dave likes this.
  6. Spillage

Spillage Commuting Poser

Oddometer:
    Good point on the moto chat! I didn't get enough miles in to be able to review this set-up before ice and snow took over here. I wasn't going to do the forks but they were diving pretty good and figured I'd go for the package, I've never worked on forks so it's a new challenge. The new fronts are progressive and I could tell right away they don't dive as much. BUT I haven't done any good bombing around and have all settings back to stock to start from. I did read that some guys do not like the progressives on this bike so time will tell.

The rear is definitely stiffer but between the weary stocker and fessing up to EPM that I'm kinda fat, it's to be expected. It felt jacked up when I first sat on it. I'm looking forward to trying to dial it all in this Spring or maybe earlier if we get some dry roads. It would be a bummer if it doesn't work as well as it did! I don't see that happening on the rear and I saved the original springs in case I need to go back.
    Desert Dave and dovetailredux like this.
  7. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I just done the clutch basket on my veek, got it all back together, only rode it 3 miles but all workin ok apart from a wee gear type wine, might just hear this now as the clutch is so much quieter over all.
    Only thing I can think of is the wee split gear wheel that sits to the right of the basket, I turned the split section clockwise to line up the gears, should have it been anti? Maybe I'm worrying over nothing. I took it all apart in November and now I can't remember! Cheers
  8. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    You are fine with the split gears! No worries!
    billyal33 likes this.
  9. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Thank you realshelby
  10. proeliator

proeliator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I wrong to think of the V2 as a lightweight-sport tourer, bumpy backroads supermoto-ish, fun bike?
  11. hawkgt

hawkgt Where to and when?

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much the way I ride mine!
  12. Gundecker

Gundecker aka fng

Oddometer:
    I just plonked down my monies on a new 2018. Like minutes ago.
    DF2491BB-B6A0-4CF3-9B62-E6A1B6160D74.png
    davyjones, 996DL, Griff2 and 12 others like this.
  13. Gundecker

Gundecker aka fng

Oddometer:
    I priced out some Suzuki add ons. They are proud of those bits. Research time for engine guards and a skid plate. Maybe some type of rack to secure soft bags.
    davyjones likes this.
  14. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Gundecker, you have good taste in motorcycles .................... Congrats
    I'm running SW motech crash bars, bash plate and luggage racks
  15. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic to show the SW motech bits
    [​IMG]
    davyjones and proeliator like this.
  16. Gundecker

Gundecker aka fng

Oddometer:
    Nice RC. Tell me about the laminar lip. I have a off brand on my FJR. Really helps with some odd harmonics of the stock shield.
    I've been eyeing and siting on this bike for the last two years. It was time.
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  17. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Finally got a ride on my 14 strom with the modified clutch basket. Much smoother now, can drop to 2500rpm in top gear and pull away ok and down to 2000rpm in the lower gears no problems, was major shake time before at anything under 3k. Gear change feels smoother too and no great rattle at tickover neither or clutch drag when cold. Probably the best modification I've done to the bike. So if your vstrom is feeling a bit baggy this is a good mod to do.
  18. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Did you install it yourself?
  19. billyal33

Oddometer:
    Yes I did, it was easy enought to do. Only trouble I had was the bike was apart to long. I had a few free days mid November so took it apart, clutch got done end of January and when I came to putting it back together again I'd forgotten a few things! Lol
    Plenty of good YouTube vids and both guys that do the modification have step by step guides on their website's. You need a new clutch cover gasket, obviously and I got a new clutch basket nut plus an impact gun was helpful to remove the old nut. Tank and panels can all stay on, bit difficult to refill the radiator but I got there, only thing to remove was the footrest hanger.
    davyjones, TimmyTheHog and 2thdrinOR like this.
  20. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks for the info.