2014 F800GS keeps stalling but fixes (tempoarily) if reset TPS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mickyboy1, Feb 25, 2020.

1. mickyboy1

mickyboy1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought an 2014 F800GS and I'm having this weird problem with it. I took it out the other day and did about 100 miles on it them is started to fart like it was running out of gas, then it wouldn't idle at all, and would cut out at low revs. I reset the TPS and all was well. Until the next time and eventually the same thing happened again, reset TPS and all's ok. Any help appreciated.
  2. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a GS-911:

Make sure engine is cold.

reset adaptation, which will also reset the idle circuit, following onscreen instructions.

Start the engine.

Now let it idle (no blipping of throttle) until the fan turns on.

Turn it off.

See if that improves things for you.

Based on fueling changes pulling in clutch would allow RPM to drop too low and engine shuts off for me in the past,with minor throttle movements triggering drooping below idle and recovering, I did TPS resets until I realized I’ve never allowed bike to relearn to idle.

That’s not only what the GS-911 says it’s actually in the service manual at a section where the engine was (iirc) “put back in” to some degree.

Haven’t had idle issues since following the “idle relearn” every time I change fueling.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  4. mcbooya

mcbooya Enginerd

Oddometer:
    Not sure if the 2014 has the Fuel Pump Controller on top of the fuel pump unit, but my 09 would act similar when that was acting up. Fix was to replace the small electronic fuel pump controller.
  5. mahony99

mahony99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mickey,
    I have had some electrical gremlins on one of my 800s (2014 GSA). Ended up being a bad coil.
    We helped diagnose an issue with a guy in South America. He thought his stalling bike was altitude related but it ended up being crap in the fuel filter.
    Give me a ring or a text on 8582184393. Have few more questions about the issue.
    I just rebuilt a crashed 2017 GSA with the bottom end of a f700gs engine so I have learned a hell of a lot about these bikes.
    I have a spare throttle body which has the TPS on it I think. I could send it to you to see if its that or not.
    These bikes are really reliable due in part to their simplicity I think. Should be an easy fix once all the steps are followed.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  6. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I've had the same thing happen to me a few times when I was riding my 15 F800GSA around the world. It didn't happen frequently enough for me to pinpoint a cause. It did sit at times for a few months, and was shipped around a bit (boat and air). I thought maybe water or gasoline issues or some issue with the ECU needing to recalibrate. (the fuel filter was fresh and battery (lithium) was generally never disconnected.

It always cleared up after running for a few hours at higher RPM (wouldn't run sub say 2.5-3k). If you think Cairo Egypt traffic is bad, try it on a bike that is always trying to quit on you.