2014 GSA accessory port not working

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by DirtKlinkhammer, Jul 12, 2019.

1. DirtKlinkhammer

DirtKlinkhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased this bike a few weeks ago and
    The accessory port will light a Cllena plug or my volt meter for a second and then clips out.
    I can hear the click in the module behind the battery which I assume is the Zfe module (anyone verify?)
    Its acting like it’s hitting the 5 amp threshold and shutting down.
    I disconnected the two accessory leads (sae and heated gear) from the battery.
    Pulled the plastics and gas tank to see as much of the wiring as I could and couldn’t find any problems.
    My questions:
    1. Anyone else have this problem and were able to fix it?
    2. Would hooking up a can bus charger and seeing if it will take a charge reset the can bus somehow to allow the port to work?

Yes yes While I had it apart I ran another fused lead up to the handlebars for another port
    Yes I could look into a hexcan or fuseblock.
    I did take the gps off. I did unhook the battery for 30 mins.
    O

This is more out of curiosity to see if I can get it to work or if the zfe module has a permanent problem.
    All other functions of the zfe work fine.
  2. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this symptom present with the engine running? If not, the can bus is shutting down what it sees as a parAsitic draw. It should work fine with the engine running.
  3. DirtKlinkhammer

Oddometer:
    It doesn’t work with the engine running either.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reads to me as though there's a short in that powerlet's wiring. It's a five y/o bike, any chance the horse-hair-thin wire BMW employs has chafed or gotten pinched along its path?

As for the "click", I've never noticed that on my own 1200. That system (the ZFE) is software controlled, after all, rather than using a relay. I may well be wrong, but the sound thing doesn't seem right to me.
  5. DirtKlinkhammer

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was thinking too but couldn’t find anything. I stopped short of taking off the air box so maybe under there. Sure seems like power is going to ground or there is a break in the wire. 5000 miles on the bike now and pervious owner said he never used it since he didn’t have a bmw plug.
    I would run a new wire if I knew where the darn thing originated. The wiring diagram shows it coming out of the zfe module but not sure if that’s the module behind the battery or not. I know zero on canbus systems but there is a definite click when it trips.

Thanks for all your thoughts I appreciate it.
    Next step is to see if there is a draw or not.
    P. S. I did once get it to show voltage at the plug but when I plugged my phone in it tripped.
  6. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you just have to keep the CanBus functionality, it would quick & easy to run a fused lead straight to that powerlet from the battery. That would obviously always be hot, which might not be your preference. You could relay that lead, of course, to duplicate the CanBus functionality while also allowing for a greater amp draw.
  7. DirtKlinkhammer

Oddometer:
    That’s my thought too so I ran the wires up while I had it apart.

Curiosity is what prompted the post.

Thanks again!
  8. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some one tapped off the ZFE bus to trigger a relay for a fuse block of some type, and the problem ix with that circuit.
  9. DirtKlinkhammer

Oddometer:
    Could be but I can’t find anything where they would have tapped in.
  10. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    I have heard the click on my 2014 GSA as well, as the outlet cycled off. Sounds like a relay. I’m not sure how it is controlled... maybe integrated in the module. Mine works ok though, but with a powerlet to usb converter plugged in, it seemed to cycle on and off with the engine turned off. Maybe just enough load with the built in voltmeter in the converter to confuse the system. I also have a SAE plug wired directly to the battery to run my heated gear and plug in my Battery Tender. That doesn’t seem to affect the operation of the powerlet receptacle.

Just bought mine a few weeks ago as well, only had 2200 miles on it.