2014 Honda XL125

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by curryitr, Nov 18, 2020.

1. curryitr

curryitr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I’m an American Expat living in Mozambique and just inherited a Honda XL125 from the organization I work for. It was in rough shape but after redoing the carb and fixing some issues with the steering head bearings it is running like a champ.

I would like to farkle the bike a little bit, but it’s difficult to find information about this bike since it was mainly exported to Europe and the 3rd world. Its similar to the Honda XR125 but it’s kickstart only with a front drum instead of a disk.

Ergonomically I’d like to change the bars to some Protaper CR woods low, but the levers on this bike are in rough shape.

1. Does anyone know that of some high quality aftermarket cable operated levers for drum brakes and clutch? I really like Warp9 but it seems all their brake levers are geared towards hydraulic brake systems.

2. Another question I have is related to lighting. This headlight is mediocre at best. Is there a quality 7” led light that I could replace it with that will bolt to these forks?

Controls and lighting are the two main things I want to focus on right now. I have dreams of lacing up more durable rims to these hubs down the road, or trying to beef of the suspension but those aren’t as crucial to my safety as being able to stop and see!

Here are some pics of the bike:

633A10E8-81F7-4175-93F6-824CB384F35D.jpeg A4E14A44-2AC6-4E21-A0FD-05D6A2C918BE.jpeg
  2. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Should be able to flip a clutch perch over for front brake use. That's what I would do.
  3. curryitr

curryitr n00b

Oddometer:
    I hadn’t thought of that but it seems like it would work great. Perhaps one of Pro Tapers clutch levers with perch would work for both sides.
  4. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bike will share a lot of bits with the XR200.
    I use Magura perches and levers on mine with Venhill cables.