2014 R1200GS LC LED Headlight Broken

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Ravedigger, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Ravedigger

Ravedigger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must have been riding too hard because the internals of my LED headlight are now rattling around in the housing. I haven't taken things apart yet to see what's broken, but my understanding is that the LED housing is not serviceable. BMW wants $1800 for a replacement LED assembly!

So I'm not going to buy a new headlight, but I'm wondering what my options are. I can buy a used one on ebay for 600ish dollars, I can buy a new knockoff from China on Alibaba, or I can try to repair my broken light by maybe prying it apart and figuring out what's come loose.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? How did you resolve it? Are there other options that I haven't considered? Thanks!
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer. No harm in trying to fix it yourself. There is no aftermarket for you.
  3. Ravedigger

Oddometer:
  4. Ravedigger

Oddometer:
    I will probably tear into it anyway because as you mentioned, there is no resale value on a broken headlamp. It's nuts to me that something like this would fail, especially if it's an $1800 part.
  5. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is designed for non-LED bikes, and not a direct copy of the factory light. You could get it and have your bike recoded to a non-LED headlight.
  6. Ravedigger

Oddometer:
    When you say I could have my bike re-coded, is that something a dealer would be willing/able to do for me?
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That is the tricky part. Your dealer may or may not do it for you.
  8. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    I don't know about coding referenced by @JimVonBaden , but when I look at the shapes on the parts fiche the led and non-led units don't look to be the same shape either - but maybe they are where it counts (mounting holes etc).
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    They are, more or less.
  10. mmaiers92

mmaiers92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well whatever you do... I certainly wouldnt pay $1800 for a part that probably costs 30$ to make....

I would cut it open and see if you can replace the the led element
  11. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    Mine went and replaced under extended warranty!
  12. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    why would you say that ? Engines have failed. Gearboxes had failed. Nothing special in a LED headlight.
    mikegc, Bill-66 and JimVonBaden like this.
  13. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    Well it'd be worth calling mattgecko and asking why it wont work and if there is any chance they are working on a cheaper than OEM for OEM LED.
    Ravedigger likes this.
  14. Ravedigger

Oddometer:
    I wish I had gotten the extended warranty. I've had a few issues recently and it definitely would have paid for itself already.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    May have to bake the assembly to separate it assuming is glued together. Guys doing projector upgrades on cars do this. Google for temps and times.
  16. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd seriously consider finding a used unit from BBY, out of the flea market, on eBay, etc. It's nearly a five year old bike, and the lamp's internals may well have changed in the ensuing years. So I'd be looking for a lamp from a newer model year.
  17. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW's ability to engineer mundane parts to failure is legendary. A lot of the hexheads ate H7 lightbulbs like popcorn, despite lightbulbs being used in motorcycles for at least the last couple years. They devoloped fuel strips because a float that worked for a century, seems idiotic. Fork failures in 2017 after the telescopic fork has been used effectively since Cromagnan man rode the first Honda Mini Trail...permanently lubed final drives and ujoints with service lifes equal to 20 tanks of gas.

If you think BMW can't make parts fail, you haven't been paying attention. :lol3

But that brilliant, BRILLIANT, soulful boxer, is bliss.
    Steve W., Ravedigger and mmaiers92 like this.
  18. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And we most certainly have been paying, haven't we?

We all need a hobby, and everyone needs a vice. That some of us confuse the two when Beemers are involved is just the way it is.

Bring More Wallet.
    RunninRanger, Bill-66 and mmaiers92 like this.
  19. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:

I only bought one because I ride a lot (65K 2014), but I'm into a $1500 extended warranty for over $5,000! I had a 1987 K100RS in the past and never an issue after 65K miles.
    mmaiers92 likes this.
  20. Ravedigger

Oddometer:
    I am at 104,000 on my 2014. I really should have bought the extended warranty. I think it was only about $1700 for the warranty and I've already had to pay at least $4k out of pocket for repairs that would have been covered, even before my headlight crapped out!

:baldy:baldy:baldy:baldy:baldy