2014 RMAR Quien Sabe Ride, Utah, May 18-24

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Dec 10, 2013.

1. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you drink through those? That's always my upset with these things - pulling down, pulling them up every time I need a shot of water. So far the buffs are the easiest but I havent tried the wolfsnout.
  2. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    It's just foam, you could push the end of a Hydration pak up pretty easily...or the one I use I can just yank it out have a drink and put the Wolfsnout back in place.

If you do order one, let them know RMAR and you might get 10% off that is what they were doing last year. No promises though as I have not talked with them yet this year.

I'm also guessing you could put a slice in one and feed the tube in if you prefer to be able to be hands free like a racer.

All I can say is that they work, and its nice not having lungs full of dust at the end of the day.
  3. TeamJunk

TeamJunk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm IN :D

Anyone riding up from Southern CA (Long Beach)

PM me.

WR250R
  4. r'elise me

Oddometer:
    Did I get it right...You're riding a WR250 from Long Beach!?:clap:huh:cry
    I'm planning on towing my 690E on a single rack behind my SUV from Venice CA or I'd be happy to join you on the ride - well not happy, but I'd try to be a real man and you probably wouldn't hear me pouting until we stop for gas.

Now if you were implying that you're towing and you have room for another body and bike, I'd be grateful for the ride and company (I hope) and of course I'll split the gas and miles. And if you have a trailer, we could tow with my LR4 w/ awesome stereo!
  5. r'elise me

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good endorsement to me. I'll try one. Found this instructional on their website http://wolfsnout.com/hyration_pack_with_your_dust_mask.html
  6. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz The Dotted Line

Oddometer:
    I tried to email John, but received a message back saying the delivery had failed. Is there any other way I can get an application?
  7. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Type in the address and be sure to add the dot between john and lane.
  8. TeamJunk

TeamJunk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm riding a wr250r.
  9. r'elise me

Oddometer:
    I like the one without the strap (Pro) but it says you have to have 2.75" of space between your face and chin bar. My XD3 doesn't have more than about an inch or so. I can't imagine a helmet having almost triple that. Does yours (the Race model) work in a tight helmet gap or do you recommend I get the one with the strap instead? I like the idea of being able to pull the filter off and talk without taking off the helmet.
  10. Christeon

Christeon Big Ticket

Oddometer:
    You can also reach John Lane at [email protected] or depending on his mood [email protected]

I didn't realize this was a big bike ride, are there going to be any alternate routes for some more technical riding or is it just the nature of where we are going big bikes will get over it fine. I'm not whining just curious and want to know what to expect, this is exactly the area where I wanted to ride out west next and have always wanted to visit. I really wanted to make the QS600 last year but it's just such a trek for me to get out and back.

For anyone traveling I'm coming from Tuscaloosa, AL taking I-40 from Memphis on. I stop once on the way and try to get to the area a day early so I can acclimate to the altitude a day or two before we take off.

Speaking of altitude do you guys have an idea what our highest/lowest ranges will be this year. Also what should we expect for temps. I've barely been to Utah once and it was with you guys for like a mile or so. All I remember was it was hot and dusty.

As far as tires I run a Pirelli Scorpion XCMS up front, it's DOT legal and sticks to pretty much everything and I've been having great wear out of mine but I brake lightly on pavement to help it out. I'm getting around 2K miles out of that tire. On the rear I run a Pirelli Scorpion Extra X it's NOT DOT legal, it's worked perfect for me all over Colorado. It doesn't chunk on the rocks, continues to grip as it wears but on the last two rides I've worn maybe a third possibly half the rear over 1k miles and I'm not really nice to either tire off the pavement. I ride a lightly packed WR450F and even the weight out to that of the heavy bikes with myself.

On a personal note I got engaged on New Years and this will be my last trip with you guys as a bachelor barring an act of god that allows me to make it out there again this summer, or as some of you will say, unless she comes to her senses.
  11. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    For those of you that don't know Christeon, he is commonly called Big Ticket around this group. I can't tell the whole story on this forum, but just know that a cute little waitress gave him that moniker!

Ticket, adjust your panties and just go buy a second bike and bring it.....you need a KTM950SE. That would be perfect for this ride!!!!

The riding will be an incredible mix of.....

1. Tough: Deep Sand, ledges, and loose rock

to......

2. Easy: dirt road cruising and pavement connectors

In my opinion, the perfect bike for this sort of ride will be the likes of..... KTM690 or 950SE, Honda XR650L, DR650, KLR650, etc.... Mid-sized....

Those on littler bikes will probably find the long, lonely dirt roads a bore, but they will be the happiest when the technicality climbs. Those on big bikes (500lbs and over) will find themselves struggling in the technical bits and praying for tarmac when we hit the deep sand, but loving life on the long smooth parts.

Its just the nature of a ride like this. Mostly we are setting the route to show everyone the top, highlights in the Canyonlands and Reef areas. All those places you see on the web and on postcards.....yeah, that's where we are headed.

I have made my decision....I will be on a KTM 950 Adventure S.

PS. Ticket.....we are so proud that you have worked your magic to sucker a healthy female into Holy Matrimony!

12. Crown Imperial

Crown Imperial Double Unicorn

Oddometer:
    Is anyone joining this group doing any pre or post trips around the area? I am in Florida and if I go all the way to Utah I'd like stay a bit longer than a week. 2 would be perfect.
    I would be on a XR650.
  13. Crown Imperial

Oddometer:
    Is anyone joining this group doing any pre or post trips around the area? I would be going up from Florida and if and would prefer to stay at least 2 weeks if I have to go all the way to Utah.
    I would be riding a XR650.
  14. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    To be honest I have only used mine with the off-road helmet, I guess I need to check that out for myself also. I have not decided on what helmet to bring either...there is a benefit to off-road helmet and their are benefits to my street helmets.
  15. Christeon

Christeon Big Ticket

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the perfect wedding gift and you already know I don't wear underwear silly. I'll make sure my pants are not binding and bring a smile :D
  16. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Trust me on this one.....buy the bike before you get married!

17. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz The Dotted Line

Oddometer:
    It would appear as though I will officially be joining you gentlemen for this grand adventure. I am PSYCHED. :freaky
  18. jwhuls

jwhuls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my proving ground. About a half mile long. three deep sandy areas connected by nasty wet slick rock gardens. the goats help with weeding. The dogs point the way.

looking South then North yesterday afternoon on my north 40.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Rock Junkee

Rock Junkee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any one want to dual sport to Mexican Hat from Grand Junction Colorado or some where close???
  20. Crown Imperial

Oddometer:
    Before or after the main trip?